Main Menu

40th Anniversary Prog. Probably a stupid question.

Started by Mattofthespurs, 12 February, 2017, 05:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Mine came today and the Carlos cover is indeed mighty - much better in the flesh - a bold thing of substance which feels like 40 years gone by.  :thumbsup:

The Dante story is sublime and one wonders if this is just a one off, or we might see some more flash back tales in the future as we continue to wonder what happened next...

Magnetica

No please let's not have a continuation of Nikolai Dante. The story has been told. I am curently doing a reread and for me it is a complete tale. It had a beginning, a middle and an end. It doesn't need any more tacked on.

2000AD doesn't have a good history of reviving stuff that is done (Strontium Dog excepted).

Exhibit A: Mark Millar's Robo Hunter

Exhbit B: Rogue Trooper

(And don't anyone ever suggest more Zenith. As much as I love it, it's done. Finished. Complete.)

Mattofthespurs

Richard

Tjm86

Well mine finally arrived this morning.  Interesting to note that the date on the postmark was 23rd February, a good few days after the dispatch email.  Like the interesting die cut effect on the bag of the Ezquerra cover.  Sort of a crash hatch effect that went through a few pages.  Definitely the right choice ordering this from the web store.   :o

Mardroid

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 February, 2017, 07:06:25 AM
No please let's not have a continuation of Nikolai Dante. The story has been told. I am curently doing a reread and for me it is a complete tale. It had a beginning, a middle and an end. It doesn't need any more tacked on.

While a (big) part of me would like more, I think you're probably right.

I was intrigued by the idea mentioned by the droids of other stories in the same universe, though.

Greg M.

I don't want any more Nikolai Dante - it was great, but it's over - but I would really like Robbie Morrison to write something new for the prog. Bar this Dante flashback, we haven't seen anything by him for, what, about four years?

Magnetica

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 February, 2017, 06:52:35 PM
I was intrigued by the idea mentioned by the droids of other stories in the same universe, though.

Out of interest when was that mentioned? At Robbie Morrison's panel at the 40th?'

Anyway that sounds like a much better way to go - so long as it is the Dante equivalent of Jaegir and not the 86ers.

NapalmKev

On the online shop it says the 40th special is no longer available to order. Are there more being printed or have I missed out?
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Woolly

Quote from: NapalmKev on 25 February, 2017, 08:55:26 PM
On the online shop it says the 40th special is no longer available to order. Are there more being printed or have I missed out?

Might be best to hit Smiths if the shops run out.
If you fail utterly, I got both covers so would happily send you one of them  :thumbsup:
Just PM me if you can't get it elsewhere.

dweezil2

Quote from: NapalmKev on 25 February, 2017, 08:55:26 PM

Or order here:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/213093-2000ad-40th-anniversary-special/
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dandontdare

I looked at FP first (this was on Monday) and it said both sold out - the 2000ad webshop still had them.

Don't know why I didn't try that first as I'm not a fan of the behemoth that FP has become

Jacqusie

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 February, 2017, 07:06:25 AM

Its interesting that Dante got a flashback tale for the 40th Birthday issue, I know Morrison is busy writing Dr Who, but I reckon even he couldn't resist writing for one of his most beloved creations once more.

Dante's world is indeed a wide one where many a story could be told, however if we were to have such a spin off, I'd always be wondering where Nikolai would fit in or be lurking.

Dante's ending for me was like the Italian Job, suspended in time for imaginations to run riot. He was always told that he would go spectacually by the pre-cog girl, whether that was a ruse or not, that's the way we have his stories finale...

No one mentioned Bad Company on the subject of reconditioning old soilders ... and they are coming back again!

:wave:

Dandontdare

Oh god no - let them rest in peace  - every reboot diminishes the original massif

Mardroid

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 February, 2017, 07:43:34 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 25 February, 2017, 06:52:35 PM

Out of interest when was that mentioned? At Robbie Morrison's panel at the 40th?'

I read it in the interview with Simon Frasier and Robbie Morrison in the primer document attached to the recent thrill mail type email.

Just to be clear, I don't think it's a definite plan. When asked if there were any plans for more, Mr Morrison said it was more likely that we would see a story set in that universe, perhaps with familiar characters, but not necessarily featuring Dante himself.