Main Menu

Prog 2020 - Mega-City Meltdown

Started by Trent, 24 February, 2017, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Turned up today along with the birthday special.
Cover confused me somewhat. Lovely painted Dredd image by Ryan Brown with the exception that Dredd looks like he is smiling (at least to me). Bit offputting.
New Dredd story starts with some decent and at times very gruesome art by Boo Cook. Based on Nerve Centre mention that 2023 is a jumping on prog (with Bink returning) this is, at nost a 3 parter. Feels a bit cliche at the moment with the old sacrificing victims to preserve the villain's youth trope but I may be wrong. We'll see.
SinDex wraps quite nicely with usual humour and dubious taste.
Kingmaker and The Order both move towards their respective climaxes and Kingdom gives another curveball cliffhanger which could potentially have huge ramifications for the strip.
Letters page and Droid Life round out another excellent prog as has been the case all year.

Mattofthespurs

Letters page ruined with that ghastly photo  ;)

Richard

Kingdom!  :o  :o  :o

What. The. Unholy. Fuck.

Next week's episode will be very interesting.

Jacqusie

Come back John Wagner, or Rob Williams... please :|

JaHawkDroid

The Prog is fantastic at the moment, it really is, but I have to say I'm ready for a new lineup. These stories have all been throughly enjoyable these last 2 months, with barely. A bad episode among them, but I am ready for something a bit different to make an appearance.

jacob g

Quote from: Jacqusie on 25 February, 2017, 03:04:20 PM

I think new Williams story is just around the corner since we had Act of Grud as a prologue for (another) bigger story.
margaritas ante porcos

Magnetica

Quote from: Jacqusie on 25 February, 2017, 03:04:20 PM

Just out if interest what didn't you like about This week's Dredd? It seemed perfectly OK to me.

Clearly Wagner can't go on writing Dredd for ever so I think it is good to give others a chance.

And don't worry I don't think Rob Williams is going anywhere judging by what he had to say at the 40th.

Overall a good Prog this week, even if The Order continues to be as impenetrable as ever. I think only a complete re-read from the start of series one will help. Thing is I'm not sure it is worth it / I have too much else to read.

Loving Leigh Gallagher's art, which I never thought I would say, but with this he has joined the top echelon of art bots.

Colin YNWA

Hold on forget the Prog for a moment did we know that Leopard From Lime Street was second on the reprints blocks after One Eyed Jack???? Well even if you did I didn't so this throw away line at the very end of the letters page is probably the best thing in the comic. WONDERFUL NEWS...

... okay the best thing in many Progs but in the current line-up it has the still devine Kingdom, Kingmaker and The Order to contend with. Each still as superb as they've been to date.

Overall though the Prog has a slight dip in form. Sinister Dexter has a fine ending, if a little off the fine form of last weeks first part. Loved the last three panels mind. Dredd doesn't match the standard of the last few weeks. Its a solid start nowt more. By current standards a good solid Dredd is the weakest thing in the Prog. Which just goes to show we might be a little down on the last few weeks but its nowt to worry about the comic is in very very good form AND Brink is back in a couple of weeks.

We are well treated little monkeys aren't we. ... Leopard From Line Street... so excited by that!

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 February, 2017, 09:32:55 AM
Letters page ruined with that ghastly photo  ;)

Not only that, but I took it and didn't get a credit!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

IndigoPrime

I'm clearly being a massive idiot, but I didn't get Droid Life. Can someone explain it to me very slowly?

Tjm86

Took me a while as well.  Not the clearest of gags.  It's 'Droid Life, not Druid Life.'

Richard

Dash Decent

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 February, 2017, 08:45:02 PM
Hold on forget the Prog for a moment did we know that Leopard From Lime Street was second on the reprints blocks after One Eyed Jack???? Well even if you did I didn't so this throw away line at the very end of the letters page is probably the best thing in the comic. WONDERFUL NEWS...

[snip]

We are well treated little monkeys aren't we. ... Leopard From Line Street... so excited by that!

I'm with you, Colin.  Brilliant news!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 26 February, 2017, 05:39:14 PM
What's unclear about that?
Nothing. It just didn't click with me. I was thinking of telly shows due to panel two, going bwuh, and for some reason didn't think of druids?