Main Menu

Prog 2021 - Weapon of Master Destruction!

Started by Richard, 04 March, 2017, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: sheridan on 11 March, 2017, 12:00:47 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 11 March, 2017, 01:31:57 AM
Quote from: Richard on 04 March, 2017, 01:30:33 PM
This week's cover is for Kingdom, and quite right too.

I'm pleased that Kingdom has got it's cover finally, but it's a little dated the image of Gene, he's gained some clothes and lost the blades in the story... maybe it was a stock image lying in the panel & fished out after realising they had no cover!

Kingdom has had covers in the past, or did you mean just for this story, rather than the series as a whole?

This story arc/2017 - there has been a few people scratching heads as to why on this run it's not had a cover - until now. I'm still wondering why we didn't get a current Gene/story cover though, rather than hisself as was a few stories back.

...if that makes sense   :P

Mardroid

Quote from: Jacqusie on 11 March, 2017, 08:01:06 PM
This story arc/2017 - there has been a few people scratching heads as to why on this run it's not had a cover - until now. I'm still wondering why we didn't get a current Gene/story cover though, rather than hisself as was a few stories back.

It does. When I looked at the cover, I thought, "Great cover, but he isn't using those blades in this story!" Actually, he didn't use them last time, either, did he? I seem to remember him swiping around a great big sword, in that one.

I guess if you're gonna draw an archetypal image of Gene, those would be the blades he's use, though as they were the ones he started with and used the most. I guess that's what they were going for, although I'd have preferred something relating to the current story as well.

Speaking of Kingdom, I'm a bit puzzled by the giant tick Leezee. Early on she says:

"The masters brought me here. They could not detach me from the tick in my flesh."

This suggests, this is the original. But if that's the case, why isn't she just a grown woman, with a tick? Why the hybridisation?

It would make more sense if she were an earlier clone who came out wrong due to mixing the human and tick DNA, who turned out to be an accidental asset due to her connection with the ticks. Or alternatively she was genetically engineered that way with the intention of breeding the weaponised ticks and influencing the other human clone, in the first place.

Later on she does say: "They made me too. Me and my kind."

That would support my theory, but it contradicts her earlier statement. Of course she likely inherited the memories of the original, so she still thinks of herself as her, (in which case, is she still around) or she was lying to get Gene on her side. It's interesting that she sees the ticks as 'her kind'.

Anyway, the story isn't quite over yet, so hopefully there will be a bit more explanation later. I'm enjoying this a lot. I am enjoying the whole Prog. I find The Order a bit confusing, but it's okay.

Woolly

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 March, 2017, 01:11:41 PM
Speaking of Kingdom, I'm a bit puzzled by the giant tick Leezee. Early on she says:

"The masters brought me here. They could not detach me from the tick in my flesh."

This suggests, this is the original. But if that's the case, why isn't she just a grown woman, with a tick? Why the hybridisation?

It would make more sense if she were an earlier clone who came out wrong due to mixing the human and tick DNA, who turned out to be an accidental asset due to her connection with the ticks. Or alternatively she was genetically engineered that way with the intention of breeding the weaponised ticks and influencing the other human clone, in the first place.

Later on she does say: "They made me too. Me and my kind."

That would support my theory, but it contradicts her earlier statement. Of course she likely inherited the memories of the original, so she still thinks of herself as her, (in which case, is she still around) or she was lying to get Gene on her side. It's interesting that she sees the ticks as 'her kind'.

"They made me too. Me and my kind."
I took this to be the tick speaking through her, as it were.

On reflection though, it is a bit odd that Leezee would have mutated in this way. It suggests the influence of the tick is more than just a mental one.
And if the 'current' Leezee is a clone of tick-infested Leezee, shouldn't she retain something of the tick itself also? Like in Alien Resurrection?
Or were the genetic samples taken before she was infected?

Apologies, I'm rambling. And as you say, the story ain't done yet...

Richard

Quotewhy isn't she just a grown woman, with a tick? Why the hybridisation?

Because this is way, way cooler. When I turned the page and saw the abomination she's become, it was quite shocking. It would have had much less impact if she'd just looked normal, with a tick she could conceal under clothing. This way is better story-telling; it's one of those stand-out moments I know I will always remember even after I've forgotten the rest of the story (if that ever happens). For me it was like finding out who The Dead Man really was, or Chopper [spoiler]losing the race to [/spoiler]Jug McKenzie, and it's been nice to find out that that can still happen to a jaded old squaxx like me, when I thought I'd seen it all by now.

If you need an in-story reason for it, then I'll float this idea and see if it withstands the withering scrutiny of the other boarders. Why shouldn't the tick grow bigger as it gets older, just as she did? When we first saw the ticks, they could all have been babies. The people who all had them just assumed that they wouldn't get bigger, but they'd only recently become infected, so they didn't know. If they hadn't all been wiped out, the whole lot of them could have ended up like her.

sheridan

It does. When I looked at the cover, I thought, "Great cover, but he isn't using those blades in this story!" Actually, he didn't use them last time, either, did he? I seem to remember him swiping around a great big sword, in that one.

I guess if you're gonna draw an archetypal image of Gene, those would be the blades he's use, though as they were the ones he started with and used the most. I guess that's what they were going for, although I'd have preferred something relating to the current story as well.
[/quote]

Or if you get once chance to draw Anderson you'll want to draw her in the Judge Death / City of the Damned era, rather than somebody twice that age... ;)

dweezil2

Quote from: sheridan on 12 March, 2017, 10:51:35 PM

Or if you get once chance to draw Anderson you'll want to draw her in the Judge Death / City of the Damned era, rather than somebody twice that age... ;)
[/quote]

Didn't Gene use someone else's blades a few Progs back?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mardroid

Quote from: Richard on 12 March, 2017, 04:34:37 PM
Quotewhy isn't she just a grown woman, with a tick? Why the hybridisation?

Because this is way, way cooler. When I turned the page and saw the abomination she's become, it was quite shocking. It would have had much less impact if she'd just looked normal, with a tick she could conceal under clothing.

Oh, there was shock factor, I agree. It particularly made me squirm a bit as I've a bit of a fear of bugs and inverterbrates in general. (I wouldn't call it a real phobia. Insects don't bother me much when they're around, but seeing them up close 'zoomed in' in those nature documentaries used to freak me out as a child. I can watch them now, even appreciate them in a way, but I'm not entirely comfortable.)

I wasn't criticising the story, just voicing my puzzlement and speculating. The answer may be forthcoming after all.

QuoteIf you need an in-story reason for it, then I'll float this idea and see if it withstands the withering scrutiny of the other boarders. Why shouldn't the tick grow bigger as it gets older, just as she did? When we first saw the ticks, they could all have been babies. The people who all had them just assumed that they wouldn't get bigger, but they'd only recently become infected, so they didn't know. If they hadn't all been wiped out, the whole lot of them could have ended up like her.

Interesting. I did wonder if they just merged into one being as the tick grew, but then I wondered why that hadn't happened to the older folk in her village when Gene visited. That was because I hadn't quite twigged, (or I forgot) that it was a recent infestation. Good theory.

Rara Avis

Finally up to date (for me) on recent progs.

I, like everyone else, am loving Kingdom and Kingmaker.

I'm conflicted about The Order, I love the art work but I also find the story a tad confusing at times.
However I really enjoyed this prog. Maybe it's just one of those stories you need to go back and read in one go.

I felt the same way about Brink but when I read it in one sitting it blew me away.  I eagerly await its return.