Main Menu

Prog 2022 - Light 'Em Up

Started by Trent, 11 March, 2017, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

That Ben Wilsher shift in style is very lovely - Like to see a Dredd strip in that style

Jacqusie

Quote from: Trent on 11 March, 2017, 01:42:24 PM

Good old uncle Pat is the worst offender with 12 episodes devoted to maybe killing someone off and advancing the overall plot a couple of microns. Compare with the profusion of ideas and compactness of storytelling in say The Cursed Earth.

Sometimes 2000AD just feels like it is getting a little flabby in middle age.

What book of the ABC warriors is next? XXXIX or somesuch? It's padding, pure and simple and trying to find the quality in it all is painful these days, that and characters I have sadly stopped caring about.

Still, you have to fill the prog with something and I doubt the current Tharg gets much of an editorial on the scripts that go on & on & on & on...  :crazy:

jabish

[/quote/] trying to find the quality in it all is painful these days, that and characters I have sadly stopped caring about.

Still, you have to fill the prog with something and I doubt the current Tharg gets much of an editorial on the scripts that go on & on & on & on...  :crazy:
[/quote]

I've been feeling that for a while to be honest. 2000ad is a tough read these days. There are some things where I go wtf happened two years ago when we last saw this strip and, most worryingly, do I care? Once more I'm questioning my subscription. Maybe I should just buy the trades? I hate that point of view, I like getting the prog through the letter box every week, but increasingly I find 2000ad is starting not to work as a weekly comic anymore. The things that keep me going are strips by John Wagner and Dan Abnett, which even if it's a book in an ongoing series that book will have a beginning middle and end and be a satisfying read (rather than just be a middle where not a great deal happened and the amount of story could have been done in 6 parts rather than 12). I may also put Kek-w in there too, I thought fall of Deadworld was great and I like The Order mad and all as it is. So I at least am in for a treat next prog.

I can't even contemplate how hard it is to get that amount of original material out on a weekly basis and not miss a beat. Seriously, hats off. I'm just not enjoying this current trend of writers writing for the trade or playing a long game when they seem to have forgotten about the short game.

My two pence.

JB

Magnetica

Quote from: Woolly on 11 March, 2017, 06:47:25 PM
Slightly different style from Ben Willsher on the cover, and I like it alot!

Sin/Dex is always welcome, especially now that the bloody Tanenbaum/Clones/Alternate Universe stuff is seemingly done with (kind of). Not sure that Steve Yeowell is the best choice of artist, but John Charles' colouring is really bringing out the best from Steve's work. (Still got my fingers crossed for the return of Anthony Williams though.)

Yes great cover by Ben Willsher. I would love to see him on Sinister Dexter aswell as more Dredd.

On John Charles' colouring - yes it is great, but<engaging nit pick mode > the Edsel should be black not red.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Pete Wells on 11 March, 2017, 07:39:27 PM
I did a questionnaire for Sniper Elite 4 and got a free PDF of a comic by Ben.

Pretty sure I letterered that. If it's the same one then, yes, it's very nice to look at...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

73north

I enjoyed the latest Prog , I must admit , I am glad THE ORDER is finished now - I lost enthusiasm for it
as it went on and on,  the Highlights in the Prog for me , are the Dredd stories +Kingmaker ( art really well made and painted ) - Kingdom wasn't too bad either .
Looking forward to Deadworld - and return of the ' Dynamic Duo ' - the 2 Law-Masters
on a different subject - I can also say if anyone from editorial is reading this -
can we have a new Series of Jaegir and Strontium Dog commissioned , please ?

user2000

After all my moaning about having to wait until Tuesday for my Prog, I AM PROGLESS TODAY.

Sheesh, I've had enough, I won't be resubbing again which probably means I'll ditch the Meg (the floppies have NEVER been of use as a long term reader, perhaps the IPC/Fleetway catalogue may resurrect my interest if anything more than already mentioned makes the Meg) and only take the prog either in Smiths or digitally.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 11 March, 2017, 04:15:39 PM
Dredd felt like an old school classic.  Wacky premise, bizarre characters and everything building up towards the final bad pun, with a line lifted straight out of an old Robin Williams stand up show.  Loved it!

Now that I've read this week's Dredd - y'see that judge in the background of the last panel, with his head in his hand, groaning at that pun?  That's me, that is.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: user2000 on 14 March, 2017, 06:44:01 PM
After all my moaning about having to wait until Tuesday for my Prog, I AM PROGLESS TODAY.

What did you think was going to happen? That the Royal Mail would be monitoring this forum, realise the error of their ways and miraculously deploy extra staff at sorting offices and on delivery routes to ensure that your prog arrived on time? Or that Rebellion, a very small fish in terms of bulk mail carriage, I'm sure, would be able to persuade them to do the same?

I'm not saying you don't have any right to be pissed off, I'm just not sure how you thought 'moaning' about it on here was going to magic up a better postal service...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 March, 2017, 07:18:44 PM

I'm not saying you don't have any right to be pissed off, I'm just not sure how you thought 'moaning' about it on here was going to magic up a better postal service...

Really?  You mean that moaning about it doesn't miraculously solve the problem?  Well that's thousands of Daily Mail readers that'll need to find a new strategy (plus Jezza C).   ::)

JamesC

That cover is absolutely fantastic. It looks really crisp and clean and modern but best of all it has amazing depth. Just look at it - it's almost 3D!

Woolly

Quote from: JamesC on 14 March, 2017, 07:51:34 PM
That cover is absolutely fantastic. It looks really crisp and clean and modern but best of all it has amazing depth. Just look at it - it's almost 3D!

It really is great isn't it.
The colouring is exquisite, with the black lines kept just for shadow.
Definately need this style in the prog.

Magnetica

Just noticed Finney's belt. What can I say other than  :lol:

Smith

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Never thought I would get to use that one. :lol:

Bolt-01