Main Menu

Prog 2023 - Punch It

Started by hippynumber1, 18 March, 2017, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Tomwe on 20 March, 2017, 04:23:49 PM
Loved the Future Shock - the artist struck me as a mid period Stuart Immonen crossed with modern Simon Coleby. Which is a good thing! More from this droid please  :thumbsup:

Not familiar with Immonen, but I was thinking Coleby too.

JaHawkDroid

The new run of stories begins and it hasn't immediately entranced me the same way the last lot did. Though that may come from my not having read any prior Scarlet Traces. Or Deadworld. Or Brink...

Yeah maybe the Prog isn't aimed at me at the moment.

CalHab

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 22 March, 2017, 12:43:12 AM
The new run of stories begins and it hasn't immediately entranced me the same way the last lot did. Though that may come from my not having read any prior Scarlet Traces. Or Deadworld. Or Brink...

Yeah maybe the Prog isn't aimed at me at the moment.

It does seem odd that, after all the publicity of the 40th, Tharg has chosen a few stories that are continuations rather than fresh starts.

I'm happy to see Scarlet Traces and Brink back. Deadworld isn't for me.

Tomwe

Quote from: sheridan on 21 March, 2017, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 20 March, 2017, 04:23:49 PM
Loved the Future Shock - the artist struck me as a mid period Stuart Immonen crossed with modern Simon Coleby. Which is a good thing! More from this droid please  :thumbsup:

Not familiar with Immonen, but I was thinking Coleby too.
Stuart Immonen is a Marvel Exclusive artist whose best work was with Warren Ellis on Nextwave Agents Of HATE. He recently did Empress with Mark Millar as well as a run on Star Wars.

ZenArcade

Dead world is just something else.  Loving this strip....just oozes class.  Z :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

robert_ellis

Great line-up with this prog. I love an old school Dredd, with a laugh out loud ending. I can't honestly remember what happened previously in Deadworld, Brink or Scarlet Traces but they are all top. Maybe a catch up page each might have helped and keep new readers

Bolt-01

Immomen started out on Legion of superheroes back in the 1990's. I'm looking forward to seeing his early work again in my reread.

Spikes

Picked up my copy today, and whilst I've not had chance - yet - to read it in it's entirety, it looks very much like a top form read from (cracking) cover to cover.  :thumbsup:

And without wishing to single anyone out, I've got to say that Culbard's art on Brink continues to impress.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TordelBack

Everything was great this week, everything.  I don't think I remember a previous transition that went from 5 great stories to... 5 great stories.  Special mentions for a terrific one-off Dredd that reminds us all what seemingly effortless great writing and art look like, and a neatly told fine-looking FS, but really, I haven't a bad word to say about a single panel in the whole prog. 

Smith

JD and Deadworld were great as usual.I didnt really care about the rest.

Woolly

Absolute cracker of a prog, from cover to cover.
As TordelBack says, not a panel out of place.

Deadworld in particular has re-gripped me, after losing me a bit on the last series. The PSIs looked particularly stunning, Dave Kendall must be having a whale of a time!

Timothy

Not really a review of this Prog, but I went back to re-read the first series of Brink last night and can confirm that it is bloody good comics. Let's hope that the second series carries on the quality. Early signs are good.

I, Cosh

2017 in thrillpower has won me over I think. Thrills in order of power:

#1. Brink. Great stuff. Loved the unexpected splash of colour. Abnett has been on unbelievable form over the past year or so.

#2. Dredd. Fun stuff from the experts with a bit more bite than it first appears.

#3. Future Shock. A good effort from both droids.

#4. Scarlet Traces. Slow opener. One stunning D'Israeli splash to distract from the talking heads. The abrupt change of tone on the last page made me sit up and bodes well for the coming weeks.

#5. Deadworld. The fly in the ointment. Would be perfectly happy if this just stopped, never to be seen again.
We never really die.

Smith

So the Martians are building a Dyson Sphere around the Sun?They went from steampunk to that?

norton canes

[Disclaimer: I only re-started reading 2000 AD at prog 2011, so I'm not familiar with any of the continuing strips]

Cover: Excellent. Cliff Robinson is an artist I wasn't sold on when he started out, but these days his work is pure class.

Dredd: Damn, looks like John Wagner has just written 2000 AD's best ever Future Shock. He is the King.

Brink: Perfect. Wonderful contrast between the opening two pages and the final three. Great scene-setter. Bleakly shocking final page.

Future Shock: Hmm. A nice idea that needed some refinement to really make sense. Unfortunate to be placed in a prog that contained two stories with far more 'shocking' final pages (see above)

Scarlet Traces: As mentioned already, exposition-heavy. Not really enthralled. Still, the concept as outlined in the Nerve Centre page seems promising, so let's see.

Cursed: Liked what I saw in prog 2000 so glad to see this continuing in the same vein. I find it genuinely disturbing that everything is this world will eventually be reduced to the endless fields of scattered bones   seen at the end of Judge Death Lives. I guess the whole 'Deadworld' series will end with the last citizen being executed by Death, as immortalised in the Judge Death Lives statue?