Main Menu

Prog 2024 - Meet Harvey

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 March, 2017, 01:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

That's the Prog you've been looking for.

As I suspected last week the Prog reachs almost as high as the last run. The new Dredd story Harvey has a solid and enjoyable opener. Dredd plays his cynical role and Hershay asks him to give things a try. Intrigued to see where this goes.

Brink has a blinding episode, the exchange between 'Fil' and Kurtis just sings. Its like the previous series already. Just devine comics.

A great little Future Shock, always great to see Nick Dyer in the Prog.

Scarlet Traces has a cracking and thrilling episode with more great character exchanges .

Deadworld also continues to defy my expectation by being fantastic.

This is all just great stuff. Thanks Tharg.

Mattofthespurs

I concur.
Very good prog this week with no weak spots as far as I'm concerned.

CalHab

The dates don't seem to tie up in Brink. It says Yuliya habitat was built 2075AD, but the pilot and two characters at the end were born on Yuliya before then. Or have I missed something?

Magnetica

Good Prog this week.

Dredd some how managed to pull off the trick of being fresh whilst going over ground we've been over a few times before, with a promise that "this time it'll be different."

Brink is just superb and re-enforces the feeling that this is one of the very best of the new generation of thrills. Kurtis' new job made me have a quick look at how Book 1 finished and to my great surprised I discovered a mistake in Barney! Book 1 ended in Prog 1992, not 1993.

Scarlett Traces continues to be surprisingly good to read, given I have take a while to appreciate it. Now that I have - yeah great stuff.

Likewise with Deadworld. Nice flashback / dream sequence.

There were a couple of weak links for me this week - the future shock and droid life.

JaHawkDroid

Not finished the Prog yet (I read it in a weird order, picking and choosing stories) but this week I started with the Future Shock and... didn't get it? Is it just me, or was it very unclear, narratively-speaking? I understood the broader strokes of it, but it feels like a much larger concept that was forced into 4 pages.

JaHawkDroid

So, overall, enjoyed the Prog much more this week than last.

Scarlet Traces is an intriguing little strip, considering I haven't touched the series before now. This second episode was easier to pick up, and makes me want to track down the earlier books. Might be a trip to the comic shop next week... (though I did promise not to buy any more 2000AD Graphic Novels until the new Hachette collection is confirmed or denied, this looks like a promising series)

Brink may just not be for me. I do tend to have a hit/miss relationship with Abnett's writing, sometimes adoring it and sometimes just not clicking at all. I will give this series a solid chance, but it's not won me over yet.

The FutureShock is... well, my comments on that are in the previous post. I like McConville but there's something about this particular strip that didn't sit right.

Deadworld is fascinating. I love the Dark Judges anyway, so exploring their world a bit more is a fun time. Definitely excited to see where this second series goes, and to pick up the first series at some point.

And then to the jewel of the Prog - HARVEY.

I love Dredd, I love Mechanismo, I love Johns Wagner and McCrea, and this does not disappoint. After last week's cracking one-shot, it's good to get something with a bit more meat to it, and I am interested to see how Wagner uses the Mechanismo differently than he has before. It is very easy to fall into the conceits of the concept, so here's to a (hopefully) fantastic story.

Trent

Excellent prog.
Deadworld is just what a Dreddverse story should be with cracking art and a detailed examination of a supposedly familiar corner of Dredd's world in a way that would not be possible in the main strip.

Dredd is an odd one since the story so far is as good as 100% retread but I still like it. Presumably Wagner has something to add to his previous tales or it wouldn't exist but 36 pages seems very light to me.
Never been a huge fan of McCrea's art, a bit cartoony etc but I love his work here. I appreciated little touches such as the metallic elements repeated in the drawing of the Mechanismo and the regular judges' uniforms.
Looking forward to see how this pans out and what it adds to the Mechanismo debate.

A.Cow

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 March, 2017, 03:38:25 PM

John McCrea and Mike Spicer colours

There's something about John McCrae's art that just reminds me of Jim Baikie.  Great stuff.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Trent on 25 March, 2017, 10:08:38 PM

Presumably Wagner has something to add to his previous tales or it wouldn't exist but 36 pages seems very light to me.

I think that's what Wagner does so good in that he doesn't often go over the same ground without providing further development or some twist on proceedings. I thought the original Mechanismo was quite light on episodes as was the Conspiracy of silence story arc. Wilderlands was a bit rubbish and it didn't help that the prog readers didn't know what the hell was going on.

Maybe Wagner doesn't want to dwell to much on the focus of robot judges - six (?) episodes seems ok for this go round the block with the robots and I'm just glad we have this team back in the prog on Dredd. Great stuff so far.  :thumbsup:

Tjm86

Quote from: Trent on 25 March, 2017, 10:08:38 PM
Dredd is an odd one since the story so far is as good as 100% retread but I still like it. Presumably Wagner has something to add to his previous tales or it wouldn't exist [...]
Looking forward to see how this pans out and what it adds to the Mechanismo debate.

That was my thought as well.  So far Dredd seems to have the same attitude as before and there seems little to suggest that this is going to change it.  As Jacusie says, Wagner has a nice tendency of confounding expectations so I would be more than a little surprised if this was the same as the last few outings.

I'm also wondering about the title.  It immediately puts me in mind of the James Stewart film.  For me this just adds to the 'what on earth is Wagner up to' thoughts.  With that in mind I would say candidates for least likely outcome are: Dredd finally accepts the Mechanismo programme and everyone lives happily ever after; the droid turns out to be as messed up as the rest and Dredd convinces Hershey that the programme should be consigned to the bin forever; Harvey blows away Dredd.

Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting ride.

Buttonman

It can't be that the robot goes haywire again. I think Dredd will remain opposed until the robot does something heroic and then Dredd accepts them as force auxiliaries, maybe with the concession that they aren't allowed lethal force.

Leigh S

Harvey was named as Wagners favourite film in an annual(?) profile IIRC - that was over 30 years ago mind, but I suspect is is still A favourite.

Greg M.

I haven't got the prog yet, but I read the first episode of 'Harvey' online here, and I must say, I haven't enjoyed an episode of Dredd so much since the bit in Day of Chaos when the Dark Judges appeared. 'Dredd with a rookie' stories are frequently amongst Wagner's best - all the stuff with Giant Jnr, for instance - and this is a great spin on it. A fine balance of the outlandish and the realistic, powered by continuity stretching back decades. Exactly what I want from the series.

Proudhuff

Good cover. And Damage report continues the spread of the contagion.   :-X

The new Dredd story Harvey has a solid and enjoyable opener. Intrigued to see where this goes.

Brink has a intriguing episode, more hooked than last time round.

A nice little Future Shock, always great to see Nick Dyer in the Prog.

Scarlet Traces has a cracking and thrilling episode .

Deadworld also continues to leave me cold.

This is all goodstuff. Thanks Tharg.
DDT did a job on me