Main Menu

Prog 2024 - Meet Harvey

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 March, 2017, 01:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 30 March, 2017, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 25 March, 2017, 03:47:50 PM
The dates don't seem to tie up in Brink. It says Yuliya habitat was built 2075AD, but the pilot and two characters at the end were born on Yuliya before then. Or have I missed something?

I noticed that last week - it could be hand-waved by saying there were a few births on board during the construction period, but we've got two characters of vastly different social classes who seem to have been born in the same situation now...

Three this week I think - Ely the shuttle pilot and both local cops. And yet the construction date is so explicitly set out and even reinforced with reference to the abandonment  of Earth. I'd be very surprised if such a meticulously constructed strip had this repeated conflict by accident (unlike Zenith Phase I!).

Timothy

Steve Green

Masterman is revived June 23rd 1987 at the start of the story, and after the whole battle at the end a caption reads the same date.

Jacqusie

Great find Eamonn, so harvey is an imaginary Robo Judge only Dredd can see?

...this gets better & better!  :)

Woolly

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 March, 2017, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2017, 01:05:55 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 30 March, 2017, 12:46:16 PM
How good is Nick Dyer's art on that FS.  I could look at it all day, the brilliance of the light, the 3D modelling of the distinctive faces, the use of empty spaces in panels...

In fact, together with McCrea, Brooker, Culbard and Kendall I'd defy anyone to find another comic that has a fresher, more stylistically diverse and utterly gorgeous roster of storyreling art.

Yes, this is the best Nick Dyer art I've seen to date - I think I prefer him in black and white - and also the best McCrea art I've seen.  The latter has a touch of Vince Locke and also Frank Miller when he was good, and the 80's letratone effects just elevate it to the sublime.  Like I say, top prog. 

agreed - Dyer's inking is fantastic - the lighting and shadows are really well done. He just gets better and better.

And those others are pretty darn fine too!

Yep, the Dyer droid's star is certainly shining right now.
More Nick Dyer please Tharg!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Jacqusie on 30 March, 2017, 05:54:09 PM
Great find Eamonn, so harvey is an imaginary Robo Judge only Dredd can see?

...this gets better & better!  :)

Not my find. It's on Pete Wells block's covers uncovered post.
http://2000adonline.com/post/1646

norton canes

Quote from: Jacqusie on 30 March, 2017, 05:54:09 PM
so harvey is an imaginary Robo Judge only Dredd can see?

Well... perhaps it's a hologram that'as only keyed in to Dredd's brain patters, or something. But the robot's training exercise in this prog would be extremely hard to fake. All the same, why call the robot and the serial 'Harvey' if it doesn't have some connection with the play/film? My guess is that the robot performs flawlessly and even saves Dredd's life, meaning Dredd develops some kind of attachment to it.

Intriguing, though. Should be an enjoyable five weeks finding out!

Taryn Tailz

Although I haven't read the first book of Brink, I'm absolutely loving what I've read of 'Skeleton Life' so far. Those starscapes look absolutely amazing this week.

Link Prime

There's one other genre Harvey that always raises a smile;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coF-opzhXuc

moly

Colin YNWA

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Re-reading the Dredd over the weekend, I was really struck by how neat McCrea's redesign of Mechanismo is. Never really had him pegged as a techie sort of artist, but that thing really looks like a working killing machine designed by a committee of American fascists.  I also liked the splash page, which definitely evoked all those big plaza action pages in the MacNeil run.

Very hard to find fault with a single printed pixel of this prog, it's just humming with raw quality. Grand time to be a squaxx.

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2017, 01:05:55 PM
Yes, this is the best Nick Dyer art I've seen to date - I think I prefer him in black and white - and also the best McCrea art I've seen.  The latter has a touch of Vince Locke and also Frank Miller when he was good, and the 80's letratone effects just elevate it to the sublime.   

Agree with you regarding the monochrome delights of Dyer, but after a re-read of Harvey (like Greg M, this story instantly grabbed me and I found myself picking the Prog up again today for an encore), I think McCrea was just a bit sharper on Mars Attacks Judge Dredd.
Still, I've all the time in the world for his work- it's great stuff.

Overall the new line-up is 5/5 for me.
Interesting that Tharg has retained a slot for Future Shocks in an opening line-up.
I could be wrong, but is this the first time that's happened?
The Future Shocks (and associated one-offs) are usually reserved for the tail end of a run, filling in the gaps before a new set of series start.