Main Menu

Prog 2025 - The Road to Hell

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 April, 2017, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

What's going on with the page format in this week's Dredd?  I'm guessing someone forgot to tell John McCrea about the difference between US comics and UK ones.  (Looking back at last week's prog, it looks like the art was nudged around to hide it a bit.)

Quote from: Geoff on 01 April, 2017, 06:13:56 PM
[...] Steve Yeowell's art.  I didn't even immediately identify the first page as his...

Am I the only one who doesn't get this week's Future Shock?  And I'm with Geoff on Yeowell's art being almost unrecognisable.

Dandontdare

Not sure what there is to "get" - the guy who goes round to retrieve the stolen machine gets trapped in a 10 year dream. Not the greatest of twists, but a solid tale.

Muon

Why is Fairfax giving Elvis Presley a ride on the cover and what happened to Jess?

Southstreeter

I feel sorry for Dredd. He's obviously dying for the robot to fuck up even though he's also impressed by it.

robert_ellis

Really strong prog at the moment. I'm guessing Dredd will get a US release hence the formatting. John McCrea's inking has an energetic looseness that I'm enjoying. Dredd's clear frustration at the robot judge makes for a great strip. All the other strips are firing strongly. The future shock seemed a bit simplistic - but I'm enjoying seeing them back in 2000ad. Any chance of Absalom soon?

Pegasus P Artichoke

Great cover for me

Dredd is moving along nicely, like Harvey and want the big robot to do well but I got a bad feeling that isn't going to happen. Story and art are good and looking forward to seeing where it goes next week

Brink I really enjoyed this first time around and so this is ticking all the right boxes so far. The story is good, hope they stick with the creepy vibes throughout and the art is perfect for it.

Scarlet Traces is another good one for me, I have read the first two volumes in hard back and read the last run in the prog so fully up to date and just really enjoying it.

Future Shocks I like, some are better than others mind you but I don't mind them at all. Used to read a lot of Tales from the Crypt so I do like the single story with twist ending style

Cursed for me is a stand out love the art work and the story/setting puts me in mind of the Mad Max series which are some of my favourite films so it's a big win for me.

Another fantastic prog
We'll give them back their heroes

Magnetica

I had a chat with the Langley droid at the 40th and he was a lovely chap and I bought a couple of prints from him. But that doesn't stop me entering nit-pick corner:

So anyone stopped the mistake on the cover? In the actual story it is Jess riding the bike, not Fairfax.

TordelBack

And definitely not Dredd.

Must say I enjoyed that FS greatly.  Simple enough idea, but very well told, and I really liked Yeowell's art. I usually dislike Yeowell's take on colouring his own work, and find other colour jobs can overwhelm his line-and-space-built volumes, but his own application of grey tones is much better than either.

norton canes

Cover: Superb. Brilliant composition, which gives it real impact. Nice take on Death (is it supposed to be a proto-Death?). Good to see some Langley art that doesn't involve photo captures.

But yes, not the best likeness of Jess. And point taken about the picture not fitting the events in the story. But that happens a lot now, doesn't it? There seem to have been a few similar remarks lately, about the Kingdom cover (why does Gene still have blades?), and I mentioned that Sinister and Dexter don't actually fire any shots in the episode in the prog that has them blazing away on the cover. I don't think covers are expected to be scenes from episodes in that prog any more. It's just a grab-image.

Dredd: Oooh, stoking the tension nicely. Damn but Wagner knows how to pace a story. My latest thinking on the twist (I won't put it in spoilers because it's utter speculation): the robot performs flawlessly but when it returns to the Grand Hall of Justice, it for no apparent reason flicks out a fist and splats Hershey's head.

Brink: It's blissful, isn't it. I swear I go into a kind of zen-like state when I'm reading it. Ian Culbard's art is such a perfect match, so beautifully warm.

Scarlet Traces: By comparison, I don't think D'Israeli's art is at all a good match for this story. The double-page spread, excellent. The rest is too cartoonish. And the story's tone is all over the place - one second you've got Alan Whicker reporting on an interplanetary armada; the next, it's devilish machinations in a space lab. Not bad stuff as such, but difficult to connect.

Future Shock: Disappointing. Forty years ago a twist like that would have been OK for an unsophisticated short like that, today I think we expect a bit more. I can only assume that the retro-stylings in Steve Yeowell's art (costumes, shoes etc.) were an attempt to make the silly idea of juke-box-sized 'dream machines' less anachronistic. And there seemed to be a very obvious category of 'dream' that wasn't represented at the start of the strip...

Deadworld: Liking this very much. Great, suspenseful last panel. And... those mutants. After decades of mutants in 2000AD being represented by silly things like hands growing out of the top of their heads, this was a terribly gruesome shock.

Overall, another outstanding prog. Wish I was getting a bit more from Scarlet Traces, it's such a wonderful concept.

And next week... for the first time since my return to 2000AD at prog 2011, we get...

a PAT MILLS story...

Looking forward to it with a mixture of excitement and apprehension :)

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: norton canes on 06 April, 2017, 12:17:22 PM
And next week... for the first time since my return to 2000AD at prog 2011, we get...

a PAT MILLS story...

Looking forward to it with a mixture of excitement and apprehension :)

No need for any apprehension, I'm pleased to say. Defoe is Pat Mills best contribution to 21st century 2000AD, in my opinion. :)

Bolt-01

Quote from: norton canes on 06 April, 2017, 12:17:22 PM
Scarlet Traces: By comparison, I don't think D'Israeli's art is at all a good match for this story. The double-page spread, excellent. The rest is too cartoonish. And the story's tone is all over the place - one second you've got Alan Whicker reporting on an interplanetary armada; the next, it's devilish machinations in a space lab. Not bad stuff as such, but difficult to connect.

That is a very unusual opinion. D'Izzy has drawn 'all' of the earlier work in this strip (right back to the cool Beanz days), so it is impossible for me to picture this looking different in any way...

Steve Green

I've loved all of Scarlet Traces, a real highlight for me.

Hawkmumbler

Edginton and D'israeli are, for me, the current progs dream team. They're working on three different ongoing titles together and seem to be two sides of the same coin, complimenting each others finer points perfectly.

aceface11

Christ, that cover is a work of art. I didn't think it possible but It's even lovelier in the flesh.

dweezil2

Quote from: aceface11 on 14 April, 2017, 12:52:14 AM
Christ, that cover is a work of art. I didn't think it possible but It's even lovelier in the flesh.

Cliff Robinson is the gift that keeps on giving!!!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo