Main Menu

Prog 2026 - The Reeks Shall Not Inherit the Earth

Started by hippynumber1, 08 April, 2017, 02:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Nice day, isn't it...

Cover: another cracker from Mr Robinson, of Defoe this time.

Dredd: continues to be of a straightforward romp, thoroughly enjoying this and McCrea's art id superb.

Defoe: speaking of superb art, wow! MacNeil hits us with sepia tinted reeks (similar to the 'Fiends...' style he used years ago) and the opening splash is all kinds of wonderful.

Brink: the thick plottens. Brilliant comics, this is.

Scarlet Traces: my least favourite thrill at the moment but Mr Brooker's art is a wonder to behold. Some interesting plot developments this week.

Cursed: brilliant, just brilliant. And gruesome, that panel with the spoon...nice! Well done, Dave, I'm pretty sure that's a first for the prog.

hippynumber1

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 08 April, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
Nice day, isn't it...

Cover: another cracker from Mr Robinson, of Defoe this time.

Dredd: continues to be of a straightforward romp, thoroughly enjoying this and McCrea's art id superb.

Defoe: speaking of superb art, wow! MacNeil hits us with sepia tinted reeks (similar to the 'Fiends...' style he used years ago) and the opening splash is all kinds of wonderful.

Brink: the thick plottens. Brilliant comics, this is.

Scarlet Traces: my least favourite thrill at the moment but Mr Brooker's art is a wonder to behold. Some interesting plot developments this week.

Cursed: brilliant, just brilliant. And gruesome, that panel with the spoon...nice! Well done, Dave, I'm pretty sure that's a first for the prog.

Shit me, look at those typos! ("the thick plottens" is intentional though, obviously!)

Colin YNWA

Now that's what I call Proggage 2026.

As you were - and since were is bloody superb that's alright thank you very much Tharg. Just another great Prog. This year has been absolutely uninterrupted brilliance. This weeks dosh goes a little something like this.##

Dredd - its just been constructed perfectly. I'm now absolutely rooting for Harvey but the knot in my stomach tell me Wagner has a firm grip in the rug and could wipe it out from under me anytime now... is Harvey going to become too human?

Defoe - never been by favourite but this is a good episode and by George doesn't it seem like Colin MacNeil is going to be a perfect fit for this series. Should be the prettiest thing in the Prog... buts its not

Brink - just genius another glorious conversation which tells us so much and a nice touch at the end. If it wasn't for Lawless this would be Dabnett's finest hour... the fact that I hold it in almost as much regard is the nbest compliment I can think to pay it! Oh and this could have been the best looking think in the Prog... but its not

Scarlet Traces - is the prettiest thing in the Prog. To say D'Israeli knocks it out the part would be an utter, utter understatement. The thing that raises this up from his normal magnificence is the colouring. Its just devine. Its another expoistion heavy episode but it does it with such purpose and guile as to get away with it. The plot is well and truly thicken!

Deadworld - I need to go back and read the previous outings - cos I didn't really like them. This however is quite brilliant stuff. Was it me before? Has the strip just moved up a notch? Cos this isn't the strip I remember. It does a superb job of balancing the grim, dark atmosphere with enough character to really make it work.

We're 1/4 of the way through the year. If you can keep this up Tharg your 40th could yet be your best yet!

A.Cow

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 April, 2017, 05:26:21 PM
Scarlet Traces The thing that raises this up from his normal magnificence is the colouring. Its just devine.

For an amazing artist who normally puts so much analysis into things, his choice of a "keyboard" texture for one of the planets in the DNA structure diminished things a little for me.  A bizarre choice and quite jarring, I felt.

Eamonn Clarke

Scarlet Traces top to bottom

War of the Worlds 1953 film
Invaders from Mars
It Conquered the world
I married a monster from outer space
Robot monster
Don't know???
The Outer Limits: Sixth Finger
This Island Earth

Jacqusie

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 08 April, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
Nice day, isn't it...

MacNeils art is indeed glorious when he get this particular pencil case out. I was wondering how he might follow on from Gallagher & what style he might be using.

I'm not a great fan of his computer coloured work, it looses his craft and pen work, but this is wonderful, just appreciating the details on the reeks is going to be a delight in itself, never mind the story. I agree that Defoe is Pats best creation this side of the millenia and there is a freshness that the ABC & Slaine no longer have.

As for Dredd, we still await the twist in the tale, but at the moment how can he fail Harvey when he's this good? A dilemma for ol' Joe that may, or may not be taken out of his hands...

Good proggage  :thumbsup:

All-Comic.com

Defoe is back! We had a spoiler free review just go up: http://all-comic.com/2017/2000ad-prog-2026/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnetica

Great Prog this week.

Dredd continues the neat trick of feeling familar yet fresh. It had the best line for a while: "you'd rather talk to him!" "Dredd? Uh...w-well maybe not".

Top stuff.

I have previously posted I would take Colin MacNeil's new style over his fully painted stuff if it meant we get more stuff from him... Who I am I kidding?...  This looks like America or  Mechanismo series one, but in sepia. Honestly comic art doesn't get much better than this. Just brilliant stuff. And the story seems to flow in a way it just didn't before. Don't think I have ever enjoyed an episode of Defoe as much as this one.

There had been a lot of talk that Defoe is currenly Pat's best thrill. I wonder how how of that is down to the fact it hasn't been around long enough to get the flashback / re-telling of previous tales treatment?

Brink. Just great. Lawless level great. All praise the might Abnett. Forget having a rule there should be a future shock in every Prog, there should be a rule there has to be a Dan Abnett story in every Prog.

Scarlet Traces. I don't normally like dream sequences and with this one being so exposition heavy, I was like "really" but then came that statement. It's gonna be rough from here in I guess.

Deadworld. Got to love military grade stealth suits. Been missing them since Trifecta.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 April, 2017, 05:26:21 PM
Now that's what I call Proggage 2026.

As you were - and since were is bloody superb that's alright thank you very much Tharg. Just another great Prog. This year has been absolutely uninterrupted brilliance. This weeks dosh goes a little something like this.##

Dredd - its just been constructed perfectly. I'm now absolutely rooting for Harvey but the knot in my stomach tell me Wagner has a firm grip in the rug and could wipe it out from under me anytime now... is Harvey going to become too human?

Defoe - never been by favourite but this is a good episode and by George doesn't it seem like Colin MacNeil is going to be a perfect fit for this series. Should be the prettiest thing in the Prog... buts its not

Brink - just genius another glorious conversation which tells us so much and a nice touch at the end. If it wasn't for Lawless this would be Dabnett's finest hour... the fact that I hold it in almost as much regard is the nbest compliment I can think to pay it! Oh and this could have been the best looking think in the Prog... but its not

Scarlet Traces - is the prettiest thing in the Prog. To say D'Israeli knocks it out the part would be an utter, utter understatement. The thing that raises this up from his normal magnificence is the colouring. Its just devine. Its another expoistion heavy episode but it does it with such purpose and guile as to get away with it. The plot is well and truly thicken!

Deadworld - I need to go back and read the previous outings - cos I didn't really like them. This however is quite brilliant stuff. Was it me before? Has the strip just moved up a notch? Cos this isn't the strip I remember. It does a superb job of balancing the grim, dark atmosphere with enough character to really make it work.

We're 1/4 of the way through the year. If you can keep this up Tharg your 40th could yet be your best yet!

Well Colin YMCA we're back in agreement... with the exception of deadworld, I think its me and the artwork that don't agree, but I've always  been a less is more sorta chap.

DDT did a job on me

Jacqusie

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 08 April, 2017, 04:40:06 PM

I forgot to mention that we had no less than two new artists on Reek duty this week.

Cliff Robinsons great rendering of brains leaving a Reek from the gun of Titus is wonderful. The perspective is spot on and the colours of the Reeks a lovely hue of greeny blue. Great work again by THE 2000AD cover artist.

Woolly

Quote from: Jacqusie on 11 April, 2017, 05:20:56 PM
..and the colours of the Reeks a lovely hue of greeny blue.

Which is thanks to the mind-bogglingly talented Dylan Teague, who has been expertly colouring the Robinson droids magnificent inks for a while now.
Loving this cover, too. It's fantastic.

Really wish Cliff Robinson would do some work inside the prog again...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 April, 2017, 12:41:21 PM

Well Colin YMCA we're back in agreement...

And all is right in the world again. Tharg certainly have everything for you men to enjoy.

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 09 April, 2017, 08:21:11 AM
Scarlet Traces top to bottom

War of the Worlds 1953 film
Invaders from Mars
It Conquered the world
I married a monster from outer space
Robot monster
Don't know???
The Outer Limits: Sixth Finger
This Island Earth

I actually came to this thread to get a bit of help identifying those - you didn't let me down, Eamonn!