Main Menu

Prog 2027 - Lawman of Steel

Started by Proudhuff, 15 April, 2017, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Nice cover: could see that used in the Hatchette series

Nerve Centre: Is that Trapper Hag? Poor Roxilla bites the dust finally.

Dredd: well that's not going to end well, Loving story and art.

Defoe: The Happy Shrapnel  droid is knocking it out the park, Defoe coming across as Dredd rather than a Leveller.

Brink really growing on me, intrigued.

Scarlet Traces charging along at a cracking pace, great stuff, lube all round.

Cursed: just not for me the art or the story.

Letters half page and what looks like great craik in NornIron/sixcount'ems.

Top proggage!
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

You're right about everything. Apart from Deadworld.

Poor Roxilla.
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

Bah, no prog - which means Tuesday at the earliest  :(

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 April, 2017, 06:19:40 PM
Bah, no prog - which means Tuesday at the earliest  :(

Same here.
Damn you, Jesus!  ;)

Steve Green

Well you've had your pre-emptive revenge anyway.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 April, 2017, 01:29:29 PM

Dredd: well that's not going to end well, Loving story and art.

Really enjoying Dredd at the moment, I didn't think he'd mellow on the Mechanismo issue too much - he's pretty dogmatic ol Joe.

But the one thing that has got me thinking, is about the Cadets and the enrolment of them & how all that's going down?

There's a whole other element to the Citi-Defence and the Auxilaries too - with Judge numbers so low that The Robots are being wheeled out again for discussion, I wonder how many Judges are in service and are coming through...

I know, a great idea, why don't they ask Texas City for some Judges! what could go wrong with that ey?

:thumbsup:

Proudhuff

Or the Sovs or Emerald Isle, or Muties?  ;)

They lost a whole academy full of cadets during the DofC, so someone here do the numbers!

There was a thread for that at one point  :think:

Looks like the Dictators of Easter have hijacked the non-Jock Progs and Megazines.
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Cover is a strong image, but in the papery flesh the nightime colour scheme makes it hard to read Harvey as a robot: it just looks like a not-particularly stylised Dredd. Bit of a missed opportunity.

Steve Green

Yeah, I think it needs a more vibrant colour scheme - push the shiney side.

Smith

Colin YNWA

Not quite as up there as recent Progs. Don't get me wrong nowt bad, just things take a little mid-season downturn.

Dredd is actually excellent as ever. It sings to stories of old, Dredd being stubborn and refusing to buckle. A Chief Judge disagreeing. Might feel a little cliche if I didn't think Wagner how has the rug gripped firmly in two hands...

Defoe looks great but the horror didn't ring out in the script for me. I mean that woman has just had a [spoiler]son killed[/spoiler] and taken a bite... she came across as pretty sad nowt more!

Brink was another great conversation just shining and building the story more and more. Genius again.

Scarlet Traces was strangely a little flat this week, can't put my finger on it, especially with that final page!

Deadworld likewise didn't hold up to current form and felt a little more like the stuff that made me not care in the first place. Again can't really pin a reason for this.

Not a bad Prog at all just not quite as great as what went before.

The Corinthian

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 April, 2017, 10:02:30 PM
Dredd is actually excellent as ever. It sings to stories of old, Dredd being stubborn and refusing to buckle. A Chief Judge disagreeing. Might feel a little cliche if I didn't think Wagner how has the rug gripped firmly in two hands...

In the original Mechanismo series, Dredd is so obviously right about the robot judges and McGruder being an unstable autocrat that most of the conflict in the story is about seeing how far over the line he'll go to stop them.

I keep wondering if this is supposed to be an inversion of the same. Dredd is wrong this time, with the robots basically working well and Hershey espousing a McGruder-like critique of Dredd's inability to grasp the bigger picture - but sympathetically this time because a) readers like Hershey and b) she's not insane. But I can't see robots not going haywire making for a decent story and Dredd's fundamental objection to Harvey is basically unanswerable, so he's hardly going to change his mind.

So it looks like the drama's going to be about [spoiler]Hershey giving Dredd approval and then reneging on it, both of which look like dumb moves from someone who's usually depicted as a lot smarter[/spoiler].

Richard

I mostly agree with The Corinthian, but Hershey is smarter than that and Wagner knows it.

Colin YNWA

Yeah that's the thing you'd think Hershey wouldn't simply over-rule Dredd behind his back. She has certainly asserted her position recently and that's great but if she gave him the call you'd think she'd respect that enough to at least have it out with him. We'll see. It might all have been hastened just to expedite the storytelling but I'd hope there's something else going on?