Main Menu

Prog 2027 - Lawman of Steel

Started by Proudhuff, 15 April, 2017, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Yeah, it's all so similar to Kraken that there must be an interesting twist coming.

A.Cow

Quote from: CalHab on 20 April, 2017, 01:13:38 PM
Yeah, it's all so similar to Kraken that there must be an interesting twist coming.

The speculation starts here!

My suggestion: [spoiler]Harvey malfunctions and kills someone Dredd actually cares about (like Rico II, Giant III or Beeny ... or even Vienna?) and Dredd goes on the warpath in a battle against Hershey, causing a schism in Justice Department.  In other words, John Wagner does "Civil War", but with more subtlety & class than Marvel/Millar.[/spoiler]

Woolly

Quote from: A.Cow on 20 April, 2017, 06:17:11 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 20 April, 2017, 01:13:38 PM

The speculation starts here!

My suggestion: [spoiler]Harvey malfunctions and kills someone Dredd actually cares about (like Rico II, Giant III or Beeny ... or even Vienna?) and Dredd goes on the warpath in a battle against Hershey, causing a schism in Justice Department.  In other words, John Wagner does "Civil War", but with more subtlety & class than Marvel/Millar.[/spoiler]

Interesting idea.
I reckon [spoiler]Harvey will eventually see things from Dredd's point of view, due to his heightened empathy with the citizens, and recommend he be decommissioned. Or something.[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

My twopenn'orth of speculation: [spoiler]Harvey's empathy will get out of control and he'll end up trying to free perps he feels sorry for or arrest judges for assaulting people[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 April, 2017, 07:52:13 PM
My twopenn'orth of speculation: [spoiler]Harvey's empathy will get out of control and he'll end up trying to free perps he feels sorry for or arrest judges for assaulting people[/spoiler]

DDD is almost right: I still think Harvey will either [spoiler]drop his guard and get taken out  just like Minty did, or he (and his brothers) will see Justice Dept as a perversion of justice and/or Fargo's ideals and demand reform, possibly violently.[/spoiler]

However, I do think Joe will respect Hershey's right to make the big decisions. There'll be no resignation blackmail or silent coups this time.

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 April, 2017, 08:43:39 PM
However, I do think Joe will respect Hershey's right to make the big decisions. There'll be no resignation blackmail or silent coups this time.

Agreed. He made it clear in Tour Of Duty that he ain't quitin' no more.
Learned his lesson during Necropolis I imagine  ::)

JOE SOAP

Cover is lovely but Harvey's Lawmaster is missing one of its three wheels.

JayzusB.Christ

I really like Harvey and hope nothing bad happens to him.  He's a great judge and a nice guy.

And hats off to Wagner for making the story so different from the original Mechanismo one.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 April, 2017, 11:12:05 PM
I really like Harvey and hope nothing bad happens to him.  He's a great judge and a nice guy.

Sheesh, just drive him straight to robo-Resyk yourself, why don't you.

norton canes

Cover: Slick. Take the point that it's a bit monochrome but it serves to highlight the red helmet outline.

Dredd: Harvey gets better each week. Getting a real sense of... well, dread about how things are going to develop. This is part four of six, yeah? Surely there's no time to wrap this now that Mechanismo units are going to flood the streets. We must be leading into something bigger.

Defoe: A never-ending tide of ideas, as one would expect from Pat Mills. Colin MacNeil's art is beautiful - the style is weirdly like something you expect from a children's illustrator, especially the cartoonish faces, which gives the horrific material more impact.

Brink: Hypnotic once again. I'm sure things will kick off soon but I'm in no rush.

Scarlet Traces: What's going on here? Not read previous books, the precis in the Nerve Centre is no use. Not my favourite story. (Though I still prefer it to Future Shocks)

Deadworld: Love the grisly head-swapping, and that callback to the mutant family. This is fleshing out (pun intended) the world of the dark dimension in a very satisfying manner.

Link Prime

Strong cover this week, very reminiscent of Carl Critchlow's current style, particularly in monochrome inks.

Is it an obvious homage to another image, or do I just own too many Sons of Anarchy DVDs?

Jacqusie

That's a great B&W image - seeing that, I do yearn for some more black and white linework in the prog.

Colour has it's place and all that, but when it starts to muddy and blanket mono colouring is favoured, I do think that it can take away so much from the inks... just my opinion of course...

CalHab

Quote from: Jacqusie on 21 April, 2017, 01:10:10 PM
That's a great B&W image - seeing that, I do yearn for some more black and white linework in the prog.

Colour has it's place and all that, but when it starts to muddy and blanket mono colouring is favoured, I do think that it can take away so much from the inks... just my opinion of course...

It's a big part of the appeal of Lawless.

Richard

What I really liked about episode 4 of Harvey is that lesser writers would have ended the story at this point, and we'd have waited six months to find out what happened next. Wagner gives us two more episodes.