Main Menu

Prog 2028 - Venus in Flames!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 22 April, 2017, 04:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Mine appeared at lunch time.

Cracking cover as posted above.

Dredd [spoiler]has went down the predictable path of the robots going haywire but rather than them shooting the place up they have become liberal softies. Seems a bit daft - I hanker after the days they went violently mental [/spoiler]- progress I guess.

Enjoyed Scarlet Traces and Deadworld - not as keen on Brink as it seems all talk and no action. Defoe is OK - adjusting to Colin on art and trying to remember all of the dramatis personae.

Over all a good Prog that needed a letters page to make it great.

Magnetica

Another great Prog.

Can't wait to see how Harvey finishes up next week.

Loving Colin MacNeil's art on Defoe. Indeed liking this strip far more than I ever did before.

Brink had become may favourite "new" thrill.

Had to read Scarlet Traces twice before I "got it".

Most interesting thing about Deadworld was seeing how the page from Dave Kendall's "From the Drawing Board" episode turned out - there seem to be a few subtle differences to my eye.

Andy B

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 April, 2017, 12:38:32 AM
Brink had become may favourite "new" thrill.

Mine too - it feels like reading a good novel. Don't get me wrong: I'm not putting down comics - I love comics - but Brink has a real depth to it. These feel like real people in an extraordinary situation.

Great science fiction, great stuff.

Wonder if the upcoming GN will have both books, or just the first?

Proudhuff

Hope it has both as I foolishly poo-poo the first series of Brink and now want to reread the whole thing.

Cover: Great stuff from the mighty Matt, but does that happen in the story? Its getting all Marvel cover pics of late, mind you its dated last year so there's a long lead in on these!

Nervey Centre: The FCBD story looks excellent, TMO always delivers the goods. Goodness :o Damage Report's looking serious!

Judge Harvey: Nice to see Dredd guest in this story, Butt'man your wrong...as usual  ;)

Defoe: loving the artwork, can't help but think Mrs Mills' laddie is having a pop at some comicbook colleagues but I don't know who... any ideas?

Brink: shaping up brilliantly as a who/why dunnit, obvs going over the heads of some here  :lol:

Scarlet Traces is an absolute dream. I'd thought the would get toasted asap, but looks like there is a decent plan its a long shot ...but it might just work Professor!
I'm assuming those guys are the ones from Moonbase Alpha?

Cursed is gradually pulling me in but only when D'eath and Co aren't in it, I think its because I dont do the Dark Judges and the art reminds me of the low days of the 90s when all the stories looked like that. So I'ts me not you  ;)

A great prog lifted to new heights by the lack of gushing fanboy drivel on a letters page  :lol:

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Proudhuff

That's in the American way! obvs... :-[
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jacqusie

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 22 April, 2017, 04:36:35 PM

One of the covers of the year which is a great taster for what kicks off in style inside - great work from Matt Brooker.

DrRocka

Can anyone let me know what progs the original run of Brink was in? I've not been reading this current run, saving it til I've gone back and refreshed my memory of the first series. Getting to all my back progs is a bit of a chore (they're in the ottoman that's got a TV resting on it, could do with knowing the prog numbers before I start filching through 'em all. Sacrilege, I know...)

Ps, the current prog moseys happily along, all good this week.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Magnetica

DrRocka

Cheers Magnetica, that's tonight's reading sorted!
Never ever bloody anything ever

Colin YNWA

At last I'm with Prog. The only advantage of such a delay is - assuming this weeks arrives on time - I've only got a couple of days to wait for the next Prog.

That said 2028 is a little down on what's gone before. In the main due to a lightweight episode of Defoe. The story to date has carried me along, aided by Colin MacNeil's glorious art, which doesn't miss a beat here. It just felt so insubstancial this week. I think its building to something. The trouble is I'm not quite getting the need to know what from this episode.

Dredd on the other hand is sublime. Sure its gone the route that's been hinted at from the start and Wagner hasn't yet pulled the rug - if he will - but its all handled so fantastically and this one has me chomping at the bit. The only thing that disappoints is it appears that Hershey did just override Dredd's decision quickly to move the story on.

Brink doesn't have faults its just majestic! Loving the atmosphere created and Linton is a wonderful addition to our cast and like Defoe this episode is putting its pieces in place. Unlike Defoe this does this with such guile and deft touches that I'm on edge to find out where this is going. Almost Lawless in its goodness.

Scarlet Traces was great except the storytelling on the last two pages lost me I have to be honest. Had to go back and check what was what. I got it but from craftmen like D'Israeli and Edginton I was surprised to be pulled out like that to have to check back to work out what was going on.

Deadworld had a steady episode but looking forward to what's to come. Seriously this doesn't strike me as an environment you'd want to be tripping in!

Good Prog but Tharg has got me epxecting GREAT of late. Silly Tharg setting my expectation so high!

norton canes

Another excellent prog. To be honest the same comments I've made about this line-up for the last couple of weeks apply again, so there's no point repeating them.

TOP THRILL: Dredd. It's not going to end well, is it.

Highlight: Pat Mills' hilarious description of the lascivious 'chastisement'. Though that line at the end of Scarlet Traces - "I think I got some in my mouth" - also made me laugh.

The Corinthian

Is there only one more episode of Harvey to go? If so, my probably completely hopeless prediction is that [spoiler]despite teething troubles, this is the new normal and the robot judges are here to stay (for a bit anyway)[/spoiler].