Main Menu

Prog 2029 - Fear Me

Started by A.Cow, 29 April, 2017, 01:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Another rock-solid prog this week!

Cover:  Wonderfully atmospheric work from Dave Kendall.  (I'm not sure it'd leap off a newsagent's shelf; however, I'm not sure how many casual readers Tooth gets nowadays.)

Nerve Centre:  Artwork-licking is certainly an understandable side-effect of reading the Galaxy's Greatest -- heck, we've all done it on occasions.  Also good to see Droid Life on form; it's been a little self-indulgent on recent appearances but this is a good 'un.

Dredd -- Harvey (part six):  Now that's how you conclude a story, allowing for future expansion.  As someone commented already, a lesser writer would have just stopped two episodes back, dangling a "to be continued".  I'm wasn't initially keen on John McCrea's linework style but it's really grown on me ... and his poses and action shots are astonishing.  (I often complain that Robin Smith's stuff looks gnawingly static -- by contrast, McCrea's art is full of great examples of how to imbue movement in an image.)

Defoe -- Diehards (part four):  I've never really warmed to Defoe but I'm finding this particular run very readable.  Mills & McNeil give a masterclass in how to do talking heads without getting boring -- US comics could really do with a lesson from these guys.

Brink -- Skeleton Life (part 7):  A very slow burner, this always teeters on the ... um, edge without quite getting boring.  Just plot emphasis this week, but it's executed highly effectively.

Scarlet Traces -- Cold Ward: Book 2 (part 7):  Aside from Dredd, this has become the highlight of the weekly prog for me.  Choc-full of lovely imagery.  I'm only getting the UFO/1999 references but I'm guessing some of the spaceships are paying homage too -- it'd be lovely to have a commentary on this side of things from D'Israeli.  Perhaps a nice idea for a Megazine article?  The images of civilian casualties are beautifully juxtaposed with dialogue.

Cursed -- The Fall of Deadworld (part VII):  I know this strip can be divisive, but I've loved the current run.  It seems to have finally found its feet (or decaying flesh).  The flashback depiction of the Deadworld judging system is great.

Another corker from the House of Tharg!

A.Cow

Correction: "... but I'm guessing some of the other spaceships are paying homage too."

Jacqusie

The tumbleweeds roll by as the damp wind blows across the barren plains of Sheffield...

A dark stranger looms at the door, he reaches into a tatty bag only to say... no prog sonny  :-X

Mattofthespurs

Nothing here neither, so a wait until Tuesday it is.

Eamonn Clarke

Progless and Hachette-less here in the book club but here is the cover.
Those demonic spider-babies from the M.R.James story The Ash Tree haunt my nightmares.

Colin YNWA

This bit of Sheffield has struck dirt at the moment.

So the Prog continues its wobble, which possibly intensifies this week... though important to note that wobble is a slip from fucking amazing to just damned good. Biggest chance this week is Blink having what felt like a steady episode, not bad by any stretch and by the end AMAZING as ever its just set its standards so high even the slightest misstep is felt.This week I was so excited to see Ben Otis and assumed he's be another character adding another layer to the story. Rather he moved aside quickly and the episode seemed to recap what had gone up to this point ... okay so the last two pages were just genius but its a misstep... still magnificent, just not as magnificent.

Defoe continued its more signficent wobble with Mills at his highest level unsubtle point making. The introduction in of Fear in Deadworld and that comedy line just brought back to front and centre the problem with the characters that haunt this strip more successfully off camera.

Scarlet Traces was fine and had a fantastic last page but my lordy didn't Dredd rule the comics world this week, Mr Wagner you clever, clever bastard you. See I've wittered about how John Wagner has been holding the rug ready to pull it from under us for the bulk of this story. We get to the last episode and so of course he has to, its just which way he does... but Mr Wagner is smarter than that. He bluffed his tug, and master that he is left us an utterly complete story that still leaves us hankering for more. You clever, clever bastard you. JUst brilliant.

The most magnificent of wobbles!

Jacqusie

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 April, 2017, 09:49:38 PM

Somehow I think you always get the prog when I don't Colin, you must live in the lowlands rather than on one of the hills where the postie lightens his load...

...still it's a Bank Holiday for the Queens postal service and I'm sure postman plod will scrape my prog off the floor at somepoint next week... after all holding ones breath will only make me blue...

:think:

Proudhuff

Prog waiting for me on my return from Weegeevile.
Not a fan of the cover, especially  after a day ODing on Frank Quitley work.
Cyber Matt seems to have things in hand in Damage Report.

Everything else in the prog top notch, as Deadworld doesn't exist in my world.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jacqusie on 30 April, 2017, 12:38:20 AM

Somehow I think you always get the prog when I don't Colin, you must live in the lowlands rather than on one of the hills where the postie lightens his load...

Oh no I'm high, we have quite the impressive view over the glorious city of dreams... but we are in a bit of a posh bit so probably  postal folks daren't not deliever!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 April, 2017, 11:37:49 AM

Oh no I'm high, we have quite the impressive view over the glorious city of dreams... but we are in a bit of a posh bit so probably  postal folks daren't not deliever!
Elitist! Lining your posties pockets with gold to get your share of thrill power on time! Why I oughta... :lol:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 April, 2017, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 April, 2017, 11:37:49 AM

Elitist! Lining your posties pockets with gold to get your share of thrill power on time! Why I oughta... :lol:

I know I'll be a Pat Mills villian before you know it!

Hawkmumbler

Heh! I must say though, even without having the prog in my hands at this moment, that cover...yeah, fuck it, that'll be on my top 5 come the end of the year. Properly nasty!

IndigoPrime

I've not read everything yet, but the Dredd finale was rather excellent. I've really enjoyed John McCrea's art and hope this isn't a one-off. There's some great energy within, and the colouring by Mike Spicer was also an interesting change.

The only other strip I've read is Cursed, which has flipped from 'this might be interesting' during its initial run to the first thing I read. I didn't mind Fear being lobbed into the mix. The whole thing comes across as gruesome and creepy, bringing some much-needed horror back to the Dark Judges in a way I'm not sure's been really successfully done since Necropolis. More, please.

TordelBack

So that's it then: the Perfect Prog, full 5/5 plus bonus star for cover.  Oh crap, this is a coma fantasy isn't it? (Checks whether prog printed on goldenrod).

The variety in art and palette, the different paces and tones, the deft conclusions and last-page kickers, the mjx of old and new, the convincing characterisations new and familiar... It's the best comic I've read in ages, and it's just business as usual.

Mardroid

Brink and Scarlet Traces make me feel a bit lost, but I think that's largely due to my poor memory from week to week. I still liked them both though, and I really enjoyed the rest. I'm sure the stories above will read well in one go.

I liked that little twist in Dredd, and Deadworld is a highlight. ([spoiler]So he actually has a use for those shrunken heads he wears on his belt. Brrr.[/spoiler])

Oh and the Droid's Life strip was rather amusing.

One little nitpick though: wouldn't Tharg's eyes be ruby, rather than emerald? Not including his eyelids and other surrounding area, of course.