Main Menu

Prog 2029 - Fear Me

Started by A.Cow, 29 April, 2017, 01:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I have to admit, since around the end of Day of Chaos / Nikolai Dante, I've been struggling a bit to keep my interest in the prog. I've been wondering if, after about 36 years of reading, I've finally outgrown it.

But then the likes of Harvey and Deadworld come along and i realise that there's no possible way i can get by without finding out what happens next. Like Firekind, Zenith Phase 4 and Revere, they'll ensure that i don't lapse.

I like Defoe too - i really like the introduction of Colin McNeil and am delighted to see that he's painting again, black and white or no. I hope it doesn't begin to meander scriptwise; Pat Mills' scripts can do that these days (though i do recognise there would be no prog without him).

I'm enjoying the slow pace of Brink too - nice to see a story can deliver the goods without guns, fistfights and explosions.

Scarlet Traces - not really following it like i feel i should be. I kind of skimmed through the last series and should probably reread it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

Cover: Now that is a cover. Eerie, disturbing, malevolent, magnificent.

Dredd: Perfect... up to the last page. Not really keen on those hanging endings, I'd rather a story was either wrapped or at least gave some idea was given as to what might develop. Seems like we're in the familiar situation where we're thinking well, this might be followed up in weeks, months, who knows..? Anyway, liked Dredd's begrudging admiration for Harvey. Maybe we'll see him in other stoies that don't directly involve the Mechanismo arc?

Defoe: Ha, Pat Mills in full-on polemic mode is a thing to behold.

Brink: Wonderful as ever. The suicide sequence was great. Love Kurtis's perma-scowl. But Bridget, bit of advice - if you can't sleep, try turning off the MASSIVE BLUE-LIGHT STRIP THAT GOES ROUND HALF THE ROOM. Just saying.

Scarlet Traces: Frustrating. What does this strip want to be? Quirkily humorous one moment, then it's a Star Wars rip-off with space fighters trying to disable a force field, then there's graphic carnage... I'm not saying stories can't mix their styles, but this is all over the place.

Deadworld: ++ TOP THRILL ++ Awesome. At last, Fear gets to hog the limelight. The tech guy! Fantastic.

Favourite line of dialogue: Kurtis calling Junot a 'specially special person'.

Great prog again. Can't wait to see a new Dredd story next week.

TordelBack

Quote from: norton canes on 05 May, 2017, 10:53:34 AM
Scarlet Traces: Frustrating. What does this strip want to be? Quirkily humorous one moment, then it's a Star Wars rip-off with space fighters trying to disable a force field, then there's graphic carnage... I'm not saying stories can't mix their styles, but this is all over the place.

See I thought that was brilliantly done.  As you say, a SW rip-off (even more precisely a combined TFA and R1 rip-off), executed with ubercool retro fighter designs. Beautifully done, but nothing very new: and then you see the carnage on the ground, and it becomes something much richer and more thoughtful, building on the first book's multicultural domestic vibe: a marriage of 70/80's space adventure and 70/80s TV realism.  That be 2000AD-clever stuff, that do.       

Darren Stephens

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 May, 2017, 11:03:44 AM

See I thought that was brilliantly done.  As you say, a SW rip-off (even more precisely a combined TFA and R1 rip-off), executed with ubercool retro fighter designs. Beautifully done, but nothing very new: and then you see the carnage on the ground, and it becomes something much richer and more thoughtful, building on the first book's multicultural domestic vibe: a marriage of 70/80's space adventure and 70/80s TV realism.  That be 2000AD-clever stuff, that do.     

Agree 100%. It's epic stuff!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Jacqusie

Ahh, postie found my prog stuffed down the space/time continum - a week late, that's black holes for you.

Still, Dredd ended rather strangely - not what I was expecting. The robo judges still on the blink and the Cheif judge ignoring their track record of nousing up... hmmm... sounds familiar.

Still we are left wanting and being promised more on this, so I will reserve judgement at half time.

Scarlet Traces gets a bit tasty - we are back in 'Great Game' territory for this one and the wonderful Dizzy space scenes, marvelous stuff.  :thumbsup:

Brink? nah...

The Fall of Deadworld however, is such a good concept that is being handled well with some wonderful creeeepy art.

Defoe? Yargh!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 05 May, 2017, 10:30:59 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 05 May, 2017, 11:03:44 AM

Agree 100%. It's epic stuff!

yip! 100% agreed.
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

A held off getting my copy until FCBD - just in time for the next prog's thread to begin ;-)

NapalmKev

Just to add to the other praise - Fall of Deadworld is one of the best tales to grace the Prog since my return a few years ago. Outstanding art and writing, pure quality all round!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

jacob g

Maybe it's stupid but... since logo of recent Deadworld storyline is almost the same font as movie Dredd, is this kinda off indication that Deadworld is Dark Judges story but for movie Dreddverse?
margaritas ante porcos

JOE SOAP

Quote from: jacob g on 08 May, 2017, 09:48:39 PM
Maybe it's stupid but... since logo of recent Deadworld storyline is almost the same font as movie Dredd, is this kinda off indication that Deadworld is Dark Judges story but for movie Dreddverse?

I thought similar due not only to the logo but some of the design choices like the bike, armour and brutalist city-blocks look like riffs on the film.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 May, 2017, 09:56:00 PM

I thought similar due not only to the logo but some of the design choices like the bike, armour and brutalist city-blocks look like riffs on the film.

I must admit, the font choice hadn't escaped my attention.
Could we be due one of those crossovers by stealth?  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Muon

Another thing I just noticed that may link the Dark Judges story to the movie Dredd(s):

Isn't the cover line "FEAR ME" a cheeky nod to what Stallone said the "diminutive" Danny Cannon once shouted to everyone on the set of the first Dredd movie?

(As quoted in "TPO", which I'm currently enjoying very much).

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 08 May, 2017, 11:21:29 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 May, 2017, 09:56:00 PM

I must admit, the font choice hadn't escaped my attention.
Could we be due one of those crossovers by stealth?  :o

Clever lads, hadn't picked up on any of that. Hope it ain't true, since I'm not a fan of the movie Dredd strips (as opposed tongue film itself), but it is a fun idea.

TordelBack

"tongue film"? I think I've inherited SBT's autocorrect settings.

Muon

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 May, 2017, 06:06:14 AM
"tongue film"? I think I've inherited SBT's autocorrect settings.

Sounds like a very useful dental hygiene product - or even some kind of prophylactic.