Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scarlet Traces - Volume 2 - Ian Edginton & D'Israeli  (Read 193 times)

robert_ellis

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Scarlet Traces - Volume 2 - Ian Edginton & D'Israeli
« on: 08 October, 2017, 05:40:49 pm »
This volume of Edginton & D'Israeli's continuation of War of the Worlds reprints the Dark Horse series 'The Great Game' & 'Cold War' from 2000ad 1988-1999 & 2023-2034. I'd loved the original 'Scarlet Traces' series. The idea of a British Empire bolstered by retro-engineered Martian tech is a great one. D'Israeli's visions of traffic jams formed of Hackney Carriages scuttling on insect legs was a visual tour de force. It's a shame the lacklustre Independence Day sequel beat this idea to the big screen. This books greatest strength is also it's weakness - it's ambition. The creators refuse to repeat themselves - the narrative time jumps mean there's little recurring cast between stories. As a weekly story in 6 page instalments I found the breakneck pace almost unintelligible. I kept thinking I'd missed issues. I really just wanted a traditional 2000ad war story against the tentacled menace. Instead I got a satire of interstellar refugees, hybrids, racism, references to sixties sci-if & a main character who seems like a splice of dr who & David Bowie. The scope of these tales is staggering and maybe a bit complex to split into weekly portions. As a collected piece it is stunning. D'Israeli's style can encompass hard sci-fi and nuanced facial expression. At £17.99 it's  pricey volume but well worth it.

Tjm86

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Scarlet Traces - Volume 2 - Ian Edginton & D'Israeli
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2017, 06:08:06 pm »
I'd have to agree with the comment about the ambiguity in its original publication.  When Scarlet Traces was included in the meg it took me a while to get my head around it, despite D'israeli's glorious artwork. I'd also have to agree with a lot of the comments about some of the ideas that the series plays about with.  There is a depth and complexity to it that gives it something else over and above the conspiracy / invasion cliches that it could have (and ID did) fall into.

Dark Horse did a gorgeous job with their hardback reprints although the second volume is a different size to the other two just to drive me nuts!  I think that if Rebellion had decided to do a hardback set of these I'd have quite cheerfully double dipped and 'upgraded'.  Regrettably, and a little understandably, they've gone with paperback so I'll stick with the Dark Horse editions.  Hey ho!

glassstanley

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: Scarlet Traces - Volume 2 - Ian Edginton & D'Israeli
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2017, 02:28:21 pm »
  Regrettably, and a little understandably, they've gone with paperback so I'll stick with the Dark Horse editions.  Hey ho!

Although there isn't a hardback edition of Cold War...