Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Rusty

The only niggling issue I'd have with the Origin's story being made or translated into the same world as the first film (Urban's of course) would be that Dredd is a lot older in Origins, and a bit softer in his views of the justice system, if I recall correctly. The 2012 film is Dredd in the early stages of his career. His notoriety only known, or shown to be known, amongst the judges. Normal perps and citizens didn't know who he was yet. It'd be nice to have a film where we see him as a feared judge on the streets of MC1, but maybe Garland could structure the story as taking place a good few years after the events of Peach Trees. Minor niggles and all that. I know it's not certain, but any news for a sequel is good news. Very good news.

radiator

It's obviously all academic, but my concern with doing an Origins movie would be that the first film was so brilliant and refreshing precisely because it entirely sidestepped having to explain or set anything up. I'd hate for it to get bogged down in backstory.

Having said all that, I would definitely give Garland the benefit of the doubt, especially as he vaguely mentioned that his plan for such a film would feature elements of the Democracy storyline, Origins and The Cursed Earth, Chopper as a pivotal figure and Dredd facing off against a version of Satanus....

I would definitely want the hypothetical sequel to be self-contained though - I'm bummed-out enough about Dredd not getting a sequel - I don't think I could take it if we were teased a Dark Judge-featuring threequel that never materialized!  :lol:

Bat King

Too many trilogies these days. 5 films would be better and give more time to up the ante.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

8-Ball

I'm not really bothered about the source material for a hypothetical sequel. It wouldn't have to be a page-for-page adaptation. Don't get too fussy, just keep to the bare bones of Origins.  ;)
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

von Boom

Over the past weekend I wanted to watch Dredd but my wife wanted a rom-com. I tried to explain to here that Dredd was most definitely a rom-com, but I tripped myself up with my own logic.

How can we prove that Dredd is the right film to watch no matter what someone's mood is?

Fragminion

All I know is that they just need to get Alan Grant involved with the script and then I will have NO WORRIES what so ever.

A bit of T.B Grover never goes wrong.

Misanthrope

QuoteAll I know is that they just need to get Alan Grant involved

But we want it to be good.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Steve Green

I've liked a lot of his recent Dredds, and the recent Anderson was great.

Proudhuff

So summing up, we're looking at karl in a Garland take of the Origins story?
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

If it ever happens, I guess.

That said, a heavily mutated Satanus and Chopper, as well as threads of the Democracy storyline were also talked about.

It sounds a loose adaptation - the body of Fargo being held to ransom and flashbacks within that.

Everything else seems up for grabs without the backstory of Rico, Booth.

dweezil2

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 September, 2014, 02:13:28 PM
If it ever happens, I guess.

That said, a heavily mutated Satanus and Chopper, as well as threads of the Democracy storyline were also talked about.

It sounds a loose adaptation - the body of Fargo being held to ransom and flashbacks within that.

Everything else seems up for grabs without the backstory of Rico, Booth.

Works for me!   :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bat King

Mutated Satanus Chopper...

Tyranus  Surfer.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Beadle68

Hope this comes off as I trust Garland and Urban to deliver something truly spectacular  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: