Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 September, 2021, 05:45:53 PM
The Truman Show - probably the best Jim Carrey movie (although there is some contention from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), and an ever-relevant critique of religion, reality television, social media and capitalism.

Yeah, I'd say ESotSM wins out.  The Truman Show is still a film I thoroughly enjoy and probably watch more often.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

pictsy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 September, 2021, 07:17:19 PM
Dumb and Dumber, surely?
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 September, 2021, 07:44:14 PM
No love for The Cable Guy?

For my personal taste, I prefer watching Liar Liar to these two films.  I have my reasons and they are largely shallow.

The Legendary Shark

Occupation Rainfall. Aliens have invaded Earth, blah blah, things are not going well, blah blah, cardboard heroes, blah blah, Australia, blah blah, ruthless villains, blah blah, last desperate plan, blah blah, stupid MacGuffin, blah blah. The ending, however, remains a total mystery as I mercifully fell asleep and had no desire to rewind in order to satisfy my curiosity as I didn't have any. At all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

kick-ass 2.

ye gods. give me strength.

exceeded expectations, tho, i suppose.

milstar

You lot are all hacks if you find Truman or ESotSM to be the best Carrey's films. Nobody to mention to The Mask or Ace Ventura (preferably the part 2). And before I forget - The Number 23.

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Hawkmumbler

Ace Ventura is played for Guantanamo inmates.

Watching it should be considered a form of capital punishment.

pictsy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 September, 2021, 11:23:18 PM

Seconded and same so for the sequel.  Fuck those films.

Has this just become "name films Jim Carrey has been in"?  Why not Bruce Almighty?  Me, Myself and Irene?  Sonic the Hedgehog?

Radbacker

Kate on Netflix, not too bad but not awesome just somewhere in between.  In the John Wick/Nobody type of action flick with bone crunching violence but not as good as either.  About a female assassin who has been poisoned by some radioactive gunk and she was not has 24 hours left to live and get revenge, the twist if you could call it that was pretty predictable you could see it coming a mile but off but some nice action and tha main actress is good at what she does, set in Tokyo so it looks great all neon and flash.  Definitely worth a watch if you like action but also definitely a Netflix joint but not a waste of 90 minutes.

CU Radbacker

Funt Solo

See, I liked Ace Ventura and The Mask in 1994 - I was stoned out of my gourd and laughed like a drain, for that entire year. Or was I stoned out of my drain and laughing like a gourd. One or the other. But they haven't really aged well. Not the drains or the gourd: the movies!

Milstar's "preferably part 2" puts another weight on the side of the scales that are labeled with "troll", although I'm wiling to accept that we're just poles apart in taste and opinion on any issue or topic you can think of. Including gourds.

As for The Cable Guy, I think that works if everyone admits it's mis-genred as a comedy and is instead clearly a horror movie. Suddenly it's genius! Drain that, you foolish gourds!

Jim Carrey Speech At The Golden Globe Awards 2016
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 September, 2021, 11:23:18 PM

Then I capitally punish myself every year. Some scenes are... Unbeatingly funny.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 September, 2021, 04:37:20 AM
See, I liked Ace Ventura and The Mask in 1994 - I was stoned out of my gourd and laughed like a drain, for that entire year. Or was I stoned out of my drain and laughing like a gourd. One or the other. But they haven't really aged well. Not the drains or the gourd: the movies!

Milstar's "preferably part 2" puts another weight on the side of the scales that are labeled with "troll", although I'm wiling to accept that we're just poles apart in taste and opinion on any issue or topic you can think of. Including gourds.

As for The Cable Guy, I think that works if everyone admits it's mis-genred as a comedy and is instead clearly a horror movie. Suddenly it's genius! Drain that, you foolish gourds!

Jim Carrey Speech At The Golden Globe Awards 2016

It's astonishing to think that you may be a troll, just because you don't get enough out of...rhino scene? But likely the second option is more viable. And I like gourds. Especially pumpkin gourd pie.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

The Crow

I rewatched it because I feared I was overly harsh on it last time I watched it, having been left with the impression that it aged very badly.  I wouldn't say it aged badly, but it hasn't exactly aged well, either.  It is a very 90's film.  There are some weird editing and clunky slow-motion in places.  It can be over-the-top with melodrama.  Some of the effects are ropey.  The film doesn't bother to allow the audience to connect with Shelly, the character for whom Eric is out to avenge.  Her "character" is only there to provide the motivation for Eric, so yeah, it's a fridging.

Nevertheless, the film has a style.  Ernie Hudson is great and Michael Wincott chews scenery like any good villain should.  I can see why the film is still loved and I can believe that new generations coming across this film could easily get something from it.  I also think it covers over Brandon Lee's death very well.  I struggle to find the seams in regards to the pick-ups done without him to get the film complete.  His performance is a little bit of a mixed bag.  Good in most places but not consistent.

So I've re-evaluated the film again and I can say it's ok to decent.  If you liked it back in the day, you might still like... but you might not.  I enjoyed it enough this time that the next film I watch will likely be it's sequel.  I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that before and I'm curious.

CalHab

Quote from: pictsy on 19 September, 2021, 07:12:24 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 September, 2021, 05:45:53 PM
The Truman Show - probably the best Jim Carrey movie (although there is some contention from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), and an ever-relevant critique of religion, reality television, social media and capitalism.

Yeah, I'd say ESotSM wins out.  The Truman Show is still a film I thoroughly enjoy and probably watch more often.

I remember Man on the Moon as being good as well.

Colin YNWA

Yeah Man on the Moon is a great movie.

Much to my surprise I discovered last night that Jim Carrey also appears in Dirty Harry movie 'The Dead Pool' last night... though I'm not suggesting its his best!

One i would throw into the pot, but I need to watch again to see how it stands the test of time is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I loved back in the day...