Main Menu

Image Help

Started by Dark Jimbo, 28 September, 2005, 10:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Anyone know if there's any particular rule for how big photobucket images appear when posted in threads? It seems stupidly random and is really pissing me off. I've posted A4 images which appear too big, A4 images which appear far too small, tiny images which come out HUGE, and tiny images which come out, erm, tiny. Has it got anything to do with the res of the original pics (though it shouldn't be, as they've all been the same).

Oh, and do I get a prize for most dull first thread? :)
@jamesfeistdraws

Banners

It depends on the image's dpi (dots per inch). If they're A4 I'm assuming they're scans, so make sure to scan at 72dpi which is an arbitary web dpi standard.

At higher dpi, because a screen can't cram any more dots into the same space (becuase it is itself made of dots) the image just appears bigger. That's maybe what is happening.

M@

Bolt-01

Jimbo. When you save the image for photobucket, the key to be aware of is the pixel width.

On this board you can post up to 650 (maybe 700) pixels safely without distorting the screen.

Are you using photoshop, cause the save for web option is a good thing to use, you can set the size to whatever you like then.

Photobucket will post the image at whatever size you upload it.

Bolt-01

Quirkafleeg

Right click on the image then on 'properties' to see the size of it in pixels...

Wake

I use 650 pixels wide for most images but 775 pixels wide for landscape images or stuff with lots of detail (or text such as the Metro strips).

Cheers,

Wake

Dark Jimbo

Thanks all, much appreciated!
@jamesfeistdraws

Bico

If you're sorting out the image size in photoshop, just select 'actual pixels' from the view menu, and it'll show up as the actual size it will appear online.  Bear in mind that if a file is over (I think) 220 kbs, photobucket will automatically resize it to fit.