Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Just wrapped up my Utena marathon with the feature film, which although doesn't quite reach the godly levels of great character writing and whittey scripting teamed with symbolism aplenty as seen in the series, was still fun. I was so impressed with Nozomi's boxsets also that i checked there site....and noticed they had released the entire run of The Dirty Pair. I'll be buying these soon for sure.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 March, 2013, 08:15:40 AM
Still not seen Breaking Bad... :-[

You're wasting your life, man.  What if you got hit by a bus tomorrow?  It would all have been for nothing.

Nearly at the end of Season 3 now, finding some episodes genuinely unbearable in their tension.  Actually woke my daughter up the other night shouting "Walt for feck's sake shut up!" at the telly (the fly episode).

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 11 March, 2013, 10:17:26 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 March, 2013, 08:15:40 AM
Still not seen Breaking Bad... :-[

Just watch it. Seriously.

I've been hassling a friend to do the same - he always says "Oh, I don't have the time". No. Once you've seen the first episode, you will make time!  :D

I literally don't know anyone that hasnt seen it by now (including my parents for Gruds sake).
Was late for a meeting 2 weeks ago...my boss texted me 'Pollos'!  :D

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 March, 2013, 01:21:31 PM
Was late for a meeting 2 weeks ago...my boss texted me 'Pollos'!  :D

:lol:

Satanist

With BB I just couldnt get into it. I watched the first ep and didnt really know what it was. Was it a drama, a comedy or both? Over two years I tried and on the 3rd attempt got passed the first ep and then, well, I watched the lot over 2 months  :lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

Firefly on Lovefilm. Sneaking it into my lunchtimes when I'm working from home. 

which is much more fun than doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

End of Mad Men season 2 was awesome, but what's the deal with season 3? Why does it look so weird/cheap all of a sudden? Seem to be getting that horrible 'soap opera effect'/sped up/harsh video look to the visuals...

ChickenStu

Quote from: radiator on 11 March, 2013, 10:17:26 AMI've been hassling a friend to do the same - he always says "Oh, I don't have the time". No. Once you've seen the first episode, you will make time!  :D

LOL!!! I've got a mate of mine addicted to it now! I lent him my set and said "watch this" and he can't get enough! Great show.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

radiator

I've been watching season 1 of HBO's 'Girls'. I really wasn't convinced at first, but a few eps in it has won me round somewhat.

There's a smugness about it that is a bit grating, and a willingness to allow the characters to be downright unlikable which is either bold or foolish, I can't quite decide. The tone also sometimes feels uneven, flitting between relatively naturalistic and wildly ott cringe comedy situations. But yeah, overall a thumbs up.

You lot would probably hate it, though.

Professor Bear

Finally been catching up on Breaking Bad and while it's a great show, I can't really get a handle on Walt, Skylar is a bitch, and I want to clear a day from my schedule and spend it kicking Jesse in the throat.  Some of the plot turns seem a bit arbitrary (like Walt sacking his assistant to placate Jesse) compared to the meticulous planning evidenced elsewhere, but it hasn't quite derailed the show for me.

Mardroid

I've been gradually working my way though The Clone wars Blu-Ray set.

I was reticent about getting it on Blu-Ray as I figured one wouldn't tell the difference with animation as you would with live action. However on seeing the first three series box set going (relatively) cheap at CEX a couple of months back I thought, why not? Turns out it really does look better!

Anyway, enjoyable all round, I'd say. I just started Series 2 and so far it's been great. (Clunky expositiony dialogue aside.) Surprisingly dark in places considering it was supposedly aimed, at least partly, at the kiddies. Not that I'm complaining. And Aayla Secura! Where'd you put your Jedi robe you saucy minx?

moly

Just watch game of thrones series 1 really good with some great surprises now for series 2

Frank

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 23 March, 2013, 11:43:14 PM
Finally been catching up on Breaking Bad and while it's a great show, I can't really get a handle on Walt ... Some of the plot turns seem a bit arbitrary ... but it hasn't quite derailed the show for me.

Walt was always like that. Even when he was cleaning armadillo crap from alloy wheels he was doing whatever he had to do to make money. His being a teacher helped me understand that Walt wasn't magically transformed into a cunt - even the good ones have something nasty in reserve and a lot of built-up resentment. The whole reason he was in that situation was because [spoiler]he fucked a friend and someone he loved[/spoiler], and that's what I took away from the character; the dedicated teacher who dotes on his disabled kid is also a nasty piece of work, all at the same time, and there's no contradiction between being one and the other - other than the way everyone is encouraged to perceive them.

I'm with you on the plot twists, which put eighties US TV soaps to shame; you just have to let it slide.

Professor Bear

If Wikipedia is to be trusted - and I see no reason it isn't - then season 3 was actually made up on the fly while 1 and 2 were planned out from the start, which would explain why even I picked up on the sudden random twists when my bread and butter is shite dramas where someone goes OMG at who's been sleeping with who this week.  Swear to God, if you plonk me down in front of an episode of Dallas and an episode of Suits, I can actually tell you which is which as if they don't just blur together.

Kudos to Bryan Cranston, though, I never thought he had that kind of glowering charisma in him from his stumblebum act in Malcolm in the Middle, and it's always good to see some of the old-school anime VO artists make good.

radiator

QuoteSkylar is a bitch

In what way? Never really understood why so many people hate her - perhaps because she's always the one threatening to spoil all the 'fun'?

She struck me as a very likable, strong character, and vital to the show.