Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 January, 2015, 09:19:09 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 30 January, 2015, 09:02:28 AM
The latest episode was The Body. Man that is some powerful and moving television.

We've paused our Buffy re-watch at the end of Season 5 to watch a chunk of the Angel box set, but the Great Buffy Re-watch has fairly conclusively proved to me that the "It's All Downhill After Season 3" crowd are just plain wrong.

Cheers

Jim

Yup. Apart from the spoilered complaint, it's been great. Glory is a proper scary threat, and they do an excellent job of giving everyone something to do (which is harder than you think when writing team based storylines).
I'm thinking of chasing down some Angel myself...

Goaty

Loved Buffy so better rewatch it on Netflix and loved Angel much better, so dark.

Like how they changed Wesley from geek into badass.

Goaty

All 5 seasons of Community just in Netflix, hadn't seen it yet, and some of you rating it good.

Satanist

Quote from: Goaty on 05 February, 2015, 03:28:14 PM
All 5 seasons of Community just in Netflix, hadn't seen it yet, and some of you rating it good.

Watch first 3 series, forget the rest.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 30 January, 2015, 09:02:28 AMThe latest episode was The Body. Man that is some powerful and moving television.

Staggering piece of work. They do things in that episode that I've never seen done anywhere else, and even thinking about it chills my blood.  Never was disposable teen entertainment so utterly real.

Meanwhile, having finally completed Angel Season 3,, we resumed the Buffy rewatch at Season 7, which I don't have particularly fond memories of. Wrong again - it's absolutely brilliant, we wolfed down 8 episodes in 4 nights. What a show, such clever balancing of the cast as we hurtle towards the end.

Professor Bear

It's interesting to note that critical reaction towards Buffy cooled when she couldn't afford college and had to get a shitty job and didn't have any plan what to do with the rest of her life - in other words when the show became a reflection of the young adulthood of the vast majority of its audience rather than the young adulthood of its professional critics.

Theblazeuk

I sometimes wonder if the major problem with Buffy's later seasons is that after the Mayor, no bad guy really shines. Adam, Glory, the First - they're all meh (though I love Glory being a god and bitchy her little coterie of monks and the whole Ben thing stumbled for me) and the Trio are comic relief really, good comic relief but not like the Master, Angelus or the wonder that was The Mayor.

Well that and Spike-romance.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 February, 2015, 05:39:06 PM
I sometimes wonder if the major problem with Buffy's later seasons is that after the Mayor, no bad guy really shines. Adam, Glory, the First - they're all meh (though I love Glory being a god and bitchy her little coterie of monks and the whole Ben thing stumbled for me) and the Trio are comic relief really, good comic relief but not like the Master, Angelus or the wonder that was The Mayor.

Well that and Spike-romance.

Yeah, the 'need' for a Big Bad is something that these shows (and I'm pretty sure Buffy started it!) suffer from. But I disagree about Glory - having just finished that season, she's totally great. It was nice to have a villain that Buffy genuinely couldn't beat by just hitting her hard, until they [spoiler]figured out a way she could beat her by hitting her hard, that is...[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 February, 2015, 05:42:36 PM
t was nice to have a villain that Buffy genuinely couldn't beat by just hitting her hard, until they [spoiler]figured out a way she could beat her by hitting her hard, that is...[/spoiler]

Don't knock it, Richmond - Mark Millar has made a career out of that plot.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 February, 2015, 05:39:06 PM
...the Trio are comic relief really...

But the Trio aren't the Big Bad of Season 6 - they're just a brilliant piece of misdirection. More generally the real demons post-Glory are all personal ones, and no harm there.

But yeah, the Mayor (and Faith) was an impossible act to follow. The First (and Caleb) are pretty damn scary, but much like Glory's obsequious minions, the silly ur-vampires undermine the thing a tad.

It's ridiculous how much we've enjoyed rewatching Buffy (and Angel). Definitely got more out of it a dozen years later.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 January, 2015, 11:01:56 PM
The man in the high castle.
Watch it and vote so I can get addicted.
I watched this for you last night. It was alright but all setup. I suppose that's the point of a pilot.

It's been ages since I read the book so I can't comment on how good an adaptation it is either. I guess they have a ready-made twist for the start of series 2 or 3: a bunch of Germans wake up to find the Allies have won the war.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

FARGO.

I missed this when it was on Channel 4 last year but it popped up on Netflix.  I thoroughly enjoyed it -some quality visual story telling going on (compare the amount of dialogue in this compared to something like your average episode of Silent Witness).

Really liked most of the performances - the only one that didn't quite work for me was Martin Freeman - except when he became an "alpha" - that brought him out of the performance we normally see from him.

Ultimately wasn't too keen on the whole digression into what happened to the money from the original movie. Almost felt like it should have been a standalone story.

Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob) was a great character.  I actually imagined him speaking some of his dialogue Joker style because more often than not, he seemed to be doing things for the lulz. And, with his brazen-ness, it looked like he almost WANTED to get caught.

Conicidentally, it's the third thing I've seen this week that has a "You are either butcher or cattle!" theme running through it; Walking Dead Season 5 start with the hunters and Jupiter Ascending.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 February, 2015, 12:19:33 PM
FARGO.
the only one that didn't quite work for me was Martin Freeman

Yep, fine terrestrial telly and that bloke from The Office tended to disrupt his scenes. Does the same in Sherlock (whose stapler is still missing).

Tiplodocus

Tiny Tips has started watching ALIAS. (Probably more Jennifer Garner than is good for a fourteen/fifteen year old). So I've watched the odd episode with him and remembered how great the first couple of seasons are.

Funny to see that the van in the "Die Hard" episode belongs to McTiernan Refrigeration.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Three episodes in and Better Call Saul just keeps getting better.