Main Menu

2000 AD 30th Anniversary Party

Started by 2000AD Online, 12 March, 2007, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Tsk... always the voice of reason, that boy...

;)
Pffft...

TordelBack

True enough, two days midweek at a month's notice - not a chance.  Bugger, I'd held off on a visit to Bristol because I had persuaded the missus that the 30th Anniversary Party would be a fun once-off.  Ah well.  

Queen Firey-Bou

blimey, off the point/topic of anniversary disapointment, which ain't no huge surprise lets face it;

i'm getting a picture here that everyone has to ask permission to go anywhere ?! is that part of the marriage ceremony ?
 "to have & to hold ( the key) from this day forward, foresaking all geek activities "
bah ! stand up men ! i suggest babysitting extra days & forcing the ladies out to do spontaneous extra girlie pampery things, then how can they resist 'allowing' you what should me a mans god given right, to mingle with fellow nerds.

shakes head sagely & smuggly.

El Spurioso

Surely it would be difficult for some/most to attend WHEREVER it was being held?  London seems a pretty logical choice.

And, given that, I'd suggest a month is a pretty long time to give as forewarning for a west-end clubnight pissup.

It's on a weekday because, as has been mentioned (and ignored), any establishment worth its salt would be either prohibitively expensive or unavailable to hire at the weekend.

I suspect there'd be complaints regardless of where/when/how/why/who.  My advice is that if you absolutely can't take the following morning off or make it down at all, don't get all angry about it, and plan to celebrate all over again at Bristol instead.  

I know it's not perfect, but it's certainly a decent solution to the Need To Mark the Anniversary, given the circumstances.

Wils

I know it's not perfect, but it's certainly a decent solution to the Need To Mark the Anniversary, given the circumstances.

Remind us where you live in relation to the venue...

Bad Andy

And, given that, I'd suggest a month is a pretty long time to give as forewarning for a west-end clubnight pissup.

Yeah but aren't you self-employed and as such can dictate your own time off? A lot of people really wanted to come to this - they've been asking for details for months - but several employers need a couple of months notice for time off and a midweek bash means time off is necessary for anyone outside London.

But at the end of the day - as long as the comics continue their quality - I'm not really bothered about the ability to throw a good party.

El Spurioso

My point exactly.  If it was further away from London, I and all the London bunch would be complaining instead.

If it was in Scotland, anyone in the south would be complaining, etc etc.

It's difficult to think of a solution that would please EVERYONE, which didn't involve vast amounts of money and fuss.  As for the amount of notice, even if you'd been told about this three months ago, how many of you who live far away and work regular hours would be prepared to move heaven and earth to make it down for what is, I think, supposed to be a chillout, boozeup and party - not a big event - anyway?

I'm lucky in that I'm very near the venue, don't have to book the next day off, etc etc.  I absolutely acknowledge very few people are in the same boat... but I really do think there'd be grumpiness whatever was being proposed.  As I said, the best way to think of it would be as an informal knees-up, with a bunch of freelancers and creators getting to get pissed and not have to go to work the next day.  It's not the end of the world if you miss it, but it'd be great to get as many of you there as possible.

For those who can't make it: Bristol.  

Wils

For those who can't make it: Bristol.

Yes, boss. [salutes]

Rio De Fideldo

Any idea which Freelancers Creators are going to Madame Jo Jos. Just so I know who I can go up to, mutter thanks for the thrills, and stumble off embarrassed whilst they go back to having a nice time.

Rio De Fideldo

In fact I probably wouldn't even say anything but just stand at the bar drinking heavily looking sinister.

Matt Timson

Surely it would be difficult for some/most to attend WHEREVER it was being held? London seems a pretty logical choice.

Actually, pedantically speaking, the Midlands is the most logical choice- given that it's, you know, in the middle.  Those of us living outside of London have long since grown accustomed to the fact that everything happens in London though- that's just the way it is.  I think the biggest gripe is the short notice (and for those of us with real commitments- that's work, home and social- a month is extremely short notice) and the fact that it's on a school night.

It's on a weekday because, as has been mentioned (and ignored), any establishment worth its salt would be either prohibitively expensive or unavailable to hire at the weekend.

Two words: forward planning.  I've got an opinion about the cost that isn't helpful to share, so I'll keep that to myself- but I'll be happy to share it with you at Bristol, if you're interested.

I suspect there'd be complaints regardless of where/when/how/why/who. My advice is that if you absolutely can't take the following morning off or make it down at all, don't get all angry about it, and plan to celebrate all over again at Bristol instead.

Fair comment- although I think most people are dissappointed rather than actually angry.  Also, again, most of the complaints seem centered on the day and the notice given, not the actual location.  Traveling to London is certainly easier than Bristol for me, for example.

And not to be funny, Si, but anything you have to buy tickets for isn't really an informal event.  Going to the boozer is an informal event.  This is the only official event for celebrating 30 years of 2000ad- of course people are going to feel let down if they can't go.
Pffft...

Richmond Clements

Well I for one cannot think of a better place to celebrate the 30th birthday of a boys Sci-fi comic than in some Soho nightclub in the middle of the week.

No, hold on- I can!!
What about at the bloody comic convention that everyone's going to a few weeks later??

Nah... that's be crazy, cause, y'know... all the little people would be there, wouldn't they?

So, are we going to get any details of this grand night out? In what way, for example, will it celebrate the comic? Art displays? Artists sketching? Panels?

El Spurioso

I completely accept everyone's points.  I'm not trying to argue that people don't have the right to be disappointed, I'm just cackhandedly attempting to defend Rebellion here: they're doing a good job, and it troubles me when all they get for it is grief.  

Surely the response should be "Wow, a party!", rather than "That's shit!  I can't go!"  This gig is a bonus, not a right.

I take the geographical point (ie: Midlands = central), but that does rather avoid the population issue.  To whit: they can almost certainly fill a club in London with comics fans.  They possibly couldn't elsewhere.

Cost issues - would be delighted to hear any and all views, helpful or not, as and when.

And I say again, in response to all the "why didn't they do it at Bristol?" stuff, that as far as I know (and I could be wrong) there WILL be plenty of glass-raising, toast-giving and happy-birthday-singing during the Expo in May.  Could be formal, could be informal, I don't know.  But as a specifically 2000AD-centric knees-up, seperate from all the spandex-slurpers who will be shouldering-in on the fun in Bristol, I think this Soho job can only be a good thing.   Sorry.

TordelBack

Just to clarify, I'm not angry about any of this. I have quite enough anger going on back in the real world.   To be honest, the day anything about 2000AD makes me angry is the day I'll stop reading - as I did several times before in the mid-90's.  This is all about the fun, no?  

I'm disappointed because I'd imagined a weekend in London with the good woman, maybe leaving the sproglet with his Geepies, as opposed to having to take a few days off work and probably go on my own.  No-one's fault, but exceeding my nominal hassle-threshold for the event in question.

Buddy

Why London and why a West End Club?

The only logical place to have it is Oxford, ya know, where the comic is produced.

Are there no clubs in Oxford? Even the hire of a function room at a hotel for the day/night is all that is required (which is kinda what I was expecting, an exclusive area just for the 2000ad celebrations)

TBH I don't have a problem with the venue, I'm sure it'll be great crack, if it wern't on a weeknight I'd be there.