Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 25 March, 2012, 09:12:24 PM
Mad Men is BACK, bitches.
Missed the season 5 premiere...brilliant I assume???
Hope to he'll RTE or BBC 4 air it soon...

Emperor

Tonight:

Kaboom - Film4 @ 22:50
Repo Chick - BBC2 @ 00:30
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse - Film4 @ 02:00

All the times work out so you can watch them all, if you want to.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JOE SOAP

Repo-Chick, should I bother? Love the original.

Emperor

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 April, 2012, 05:13:27 PM
Repo-Chick, should I bother? Love the original.

It depends, I've not seen it despite also being a fan of Repo Man, and I wasn't rushing to watch it as reviews weren't that great. However, it is on and so I might as well give it a spin. I suspect I'll get a hankering to watch the original afterwards no matter what happens, so that can't be a bad thing.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

judgefloyd

Finally finished the Straits this mawnin - excellent stuff.  Like Underbelly with pacific Islanders and Brian Cox.  Probably (I haven't actually seen Underbelly - anyway, it's good)

Spikes

If like me your partial to a bit of 70's nostalgia - then starting 9pm tomorrow on BBC2 is a four part series about that very decade. Wonder if itll be owt more than the usual cliches though.....

Emperor

21:00-1.15 - Ip Man and Ip Man 2 on Film4. Donnie Yen's kung-fu is fierce (he is one of the best in the game) and the film gives him the vehicle to demonstrate just what he can do (thanks to Sammo Hung's martial arts choreography and he appears in the second film too) while still having a solid story behind it (even if it does rather take liberties with facts of Yip Man's life). Highly recommended.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Emperor on 20 April, 2012, 04:17:30 PM
21:00-1.15 - Ip Man and Ip Man 2 on Film4. Donnie Yen's kung-fu is fierce (he is one of the best in the game) and the film gives him the vehicle to demonstrate just what he can do (thanks to Sammo Hung's martial arts choreography and he appears in the second film too) while still having a solid story behind it (even if it does rather take liberties with facts of Yip Man's life). Highly recommended.

I second this. Highly entertaining
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Now. While I like Ip Man, would recommend everyone watch it and agree that Donnie Yen is awesome, I would also say that this one is completely unrepresentative of his oeuvre. At least from a fighting perspective. He basically learnt a totally different style which he only ever uses again in the sequel.

Impressive in itself, of course, but ,personally, I can't see past Flashpoint.
We never really die.

Emperor

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 April, 2012, 12:17:48 AM
Now. While I like Ip Man, would recommend everyone watch it and agree that Donnie Yen is awesome, I would also say that this one is completely unrepresentative of his oeuvre. At least from a fighting perspective. He basically learnt a totally different style which he only ever uses again in the sequel.

Good point, I suppose I was just coming off the back of seeing An Empress and the Warriors that really doesn't allow him to show what he is capable off. There are better vehicles for him (the alley fight scene in SPL, as well as Flash Point, and many others which show off his broad range of styles), but it is always a pleasure when a film sets him loose rather than ties him up in nonsense, and yes Wing Chun is used better demonstrated in other films like Prodigal Son (thanks to Lam Ching Ying's silky skills) but it does seem to have raised the profile of the martial art, so it isn't all bad ;)

Spikes

On ITV1 10.15 tonight - "Britain Beware", a hour long Doc hosted by Ade Edmondson, about those Public Safety films produced by the Central Office of Information, which only closed down last month(!)

Frank

At nine tonight, it's a straight choice between having Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse, Robert Peston (my arsehole contracts at the sound of his voice), explain to you how the Eurocrash means we're all truly fucked on BBC2; or wallowing in nostalgia on BBC Four, with a retrospective on the BBC's soon-to-be-abandoned TV Centre in swinging London's White City:

PESTON-ILENCE

SWAP SHOP OUTSIDE BROADCAST MEMORIES

Frank

Embarrassing Bodies Live, on C4 right now. A doctor is peering concernedly at a monitor while someone bends over to thrust their disgusting medical condition into the screen.

Doctor Duncan's Video Symptoms Show from the feature length Max Headroom UK TV pilot, anyone?

Hoagy

Hart to Hart Box set on BT Vision.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

vzzbux

The missus has just told me she has never seen Blazing Saddles.
V+'ed it for tomorrow.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.