Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

That's awesome! I love Predators! So will plus it to rewatch it lots...

Goaty

Oh fuck! If you watch The Fear on C4, it's got Godfather's famous scene horse in the bed a sick twist!!

Spikes

Quote from: Judge Jack on 03 December, 2012, 04:38:20 PM
Predators on Saturday Ch4.

Dang! Completely forgot about this.  :(

But tonight a couple of goodies on show.
Rome's Lost Empire BBC1 8.40 and How the Bismark sank HMS Hood Ch4 8.00

Spikes

BBC4 has a bit of a Slade night going on from 9PM tonight.

Kicking off with an hour long doc, followed by Slade at the BBC then a rare-ish showing of their 1975 movie Slade in Flame, which ive not seen for absolutely ages. One to record.

Goaty

EVIL DEAD 2!! on FilmFour now...

Spikes

Stiff upper lip at the ready as on BBC4 tonight at 9pm, a hour long doc Fifties British War Films: Days of Glory, followed by a showing of The Wooden Horse.

Goaty

Mardroid

I've been enjoying Todd and the Book of Pure Evil showing late night on sci-fi (I think).

I watched the first series all the way through but missed much of series 2. I caught the start when it first appeared but, while I found it likeable, I found the format a bit repetitive by this point and it didn't draw me like the first series for some reason,  so wasn't as fussed to return to it.

Anyway, I stumbled upon it again early this week. Seems they're showing repeats each day...(sometimes twice a day) and it happened to be the episodes I missed. I found myself really enjoying it again. Such weird daft amusing stuff. I'm not sure if this is due to it improving or I'm just taking to the premise again after a break from it.

Frank

Richard Bacon's show surprised me by being actually quite interesting today. His guest was Eugene Jarecki, who was plugging a BBC Four documentary he has going out next Monday on the nature of the US war on drugs, called The House I Live In. I'm completely straight-edge myself, but his take on the insane logic behind that quixotic venture and what purpose it really serves is relevant to everyone.

I remember Kermode saying that David Simon of The Wire's contributions are particularly illuminating and persuasive, and someone uses Judge Lex's Meatgrinder metaphor.

TRAILER FOR DOCUMENTARY

RADIO SHOW (14 min 30s)

TordelBack

I wonder who Dara O'Briain will have a quietly vicious spat with on tonight's Stargazing Live?  Several times I thought he was about to give David Baddiel a hefty dig, particularly when he started to make obvious 'panspermia' jokes with half a primary school standing right behind him.  Equally amusing was when Baddiel was regaling us all with bullshitty tales of rote-learning the periodic table at fist-point from his research-chemist father, and then was completely unable to name even common elements from their symbols. 

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I like it when Cox reminds us all that people who believe in astrology are idiots. That's the only reason I watch sciencey shows. To remind myself that I'm smarter than those poor deluded fools. They should devote all the BBC's limited science coverage to just that. They could get Dawkins in on it too. Who needs to learn about the actual boring theories when you can just mock those that don't accept them?
You may quote me on that.

Richmond Clements

To be fair, there is much more to Cox than that.
He does have a go at astrology - and rightly so in my opinion. It is not his job to be polite about nonsense.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Aye, I'm just jet-lagged and ranty.

Asstrology is nonsense, but it did provide us with accurate astronomical records stretching back centuries.
You may quote me on that.

Hoagy

Anyone else enjoying Ripper Street?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hoagy on 09 January, 2013, 07:40:40 PM
Anyone else enjoying Ripper Street?

Saw the third episode and was pleasantly surprised. Pretty good stuff, with only a couple of jarring niggles (describing the gang leader as a 'Fagan' for example). Still, I'll be tuning in next time.