Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Dammit! Hoisted by my own pet toads!

Frank

Storyville: Silence in the House of God: Mea Maxima Culpa

BBC Four, 10:00 PM, Monday 10th June 2013 (and on iplayer soon after)

2012 documentary film directed by Alex Gibney (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Taxi to the Dark Side) exposing the abuse of power in the Catholic Church and a cover-up that winds its way from Wisconsin through Ireland's churches to the highest office of the Vatican.  The film details the first known protest against clerical sex abuse in the United States by four deaf men. It features the voices of actors Jamey Sheridan, Chris Cooper, Ethan Hawke, and John Slattery, who provide the vocal translation of the deaf interviewees.

Goaty

Yep it depressing to watch tonight :(

Frank

Quote from: Goaty on 10 June, 2013, 07:49:49 PM
Yep it depressing to watch tonight :(

That's true, Goats, but the identity of the victims makes it especially important that they're given a voice and that their stories are heard.

Frank

Gozu, by Takashi Miike, Film Four, 23:30, 12th June 2013

I've never seen this before, but it's from the man who brought you Ishi The Killer, Audition and The Happiness of the Katakuris and it's described as a surreal Yakuza horror thriller with a storyline involving the main character's search for his brother that's reminiscent of the episodic quests in Greek Mythology. An encounter with a minotaur-like creature gives the film its name (Gozu is Japanese for cow's head). I suppose that's either your kind of thing or not.

I, Cosh

Is this the one with the guy hung from the ceiling on loads of little hooks?
We never really die.

Goaty

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 June, 2013, 07:50:01 PM

That's Ishi The Killer

I, Cosh

Quote from: Goaty on 12 June, 2013, 07:50:47 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 12 June, 2013, 07:50:01 PM
That's Ishi The Killer
Oh yeah. TBH, a lot of Miike's films have blended into one in my head.
We never really die.

Charlie boy

I'm thankful for the creation of Channel 4+1 today (June 13th) due to-

Horizon: The Secret Life of Cats BBC2 9pm
50 cats from a Surrey village are tagged with GPS collars/mini cams so we can see what they get up to when the owners aren't around. I'm actually expecting chuckles aplenty as nature's cuddliest of parasites go about doing what they find entertaining.

Confessions of An Alien Abductee Channel 4 9pm
Featuring a woman who claims to be abducted whenever she eats KFC and a man in a sexual relationship with an alien. I already know this show could have been heaps better if they had Danny Dyer presenting; the Danny Dyer UFO Hunter or whatever it was called on BBC3 last year was amazing.

Recrewt

Quote from: Charlie boy on 13 June, 2013, 12:21:04 PM

Featuring a woman who claims to be abducted whenever she eats KFC and a man in a sexual relationship with an alien. I already know this show could have been heaps better if they had Danny Dyer presenting; the Danny Dyer UFO Hunter or whatever it was called on BBC3 last year was amazing.

Ha! They should call it Danny Dyers Deadliest Aliens.

Frank

David Lynch's Inland Empire (ITV, in the prestigious 22:35 slot); for everyone who thought Mulholland Drive was too short and easy to follow.

Spikes

Quote from: Charlie boy on 13 June, 2013, 12:21:04 PM

Horizon: The Secret Life of Cats BBC2 9pm
50 cats from a Surrey village are tagged with GPS collars/mini cams so we can see what they get up to when the owners aren't around. I'm actually expecting chuckles aplenty as nature's cuddliest of parasites go about doing what they find entertaining.

Horizon was a great watch, wasnt it. Didnt catch the Alien thing though, but ill search it out.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 14 June, 2013, 09:24:46 PM
David Lynch's Inland Empire (ITV, in the prestigious 22:35 slot); for everyone who thought Mulholland Drive was too short and easy to follow.

Have you read David Foster Wallace's essay on Mulholland Drive?  It's extraordinary.  I wonder what he made of Inland Empire.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 June, 2013, 01:10:22 PM
Have you read David Foster Wallace's essay on Mulholland Drive?  It's extraordinary.  I wonder what he made of Inland Empire.

Not yet, but I'm about to. God bless TordelBack and the internet ... in that order.

Frank

Valhalla Rising, BBC2, 23:35. It's a Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive, Pusher) film about Vikings, but was filmed in Scotland.