Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

That was the first time I'd seen the punk doc, and the Cooper Clarke is great too. Phillip Noyce's Rabbit Proof Fence (BBC2, 11pm) is the best thing you'll see on telly this month. It's like Stand By Me, Cool Hand Luke and Planet of the Apes all rolled into one.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The best Dirty Harry movie, Magnum Force, is on ITV4 right now
You may quote me on that.

judgefloyd

I haven't seen Rabbit Proof Fence, but will make it a priority after Sauchie's rave review.
   Roy and I just finished watching a French spy parody called 'OSS 117: Cairo - Nest of Spies'.  It's pretty stupid, but lots of fun.  The hero is that guy from 'the Artist' who has one of the most 1920s faces I've ever seen.  He was born to have a pencil-thin moustache and be French.  It's sort of like a French Leslie Nielsen, sort of, with rampant Islamophobia and huge amounts of silliness.  The cinematography is fun, if I'm using the right word there - I mean, the colour and the camera work is all very Dr No-era James Bond.
  My favourite moment is the bit with the chickens.

Daveycandlish

There's a sequel called OSS Lost in Rio worth catching if you can.  And Jean DuJardin plays a pretty good Lucky Luke if you can find it :-)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

judgefloyd

huzzah!  I knew about 'lost in Rio', but not about the Lucky Luke story (or stories).  I'll watch out for them.

Apart from that, it's all Get Smart and Dangerman re-runs here, and (when my son has any choice in it) Futurama and Family Guy.  I'm tired of the last two. 

Frank

Bloody buggering Prisoner Cell Block H reboot on Channel Five right now is like Wentworth Begins. Bea Smith is nervous and inexperienced fresh meat, Vera Bennet's a nice lady, and Frankie Doyle is Gina Gershon in Bound.  It took them all of one minute to get to a blowjob and another three for the first of what I presume will be many mildly titillating lesbian sex scenes.

According to the credits, they've hired a set designer. A set designer! I'm typing this during the smoko.

Ghost MacRoth

Clearly a man who remembers the original!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Goaty

Double bills of Insidious and Don't Be Afraid Of the Dark on C4 tonight, not see both before.

Spikes

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - has its premire tonight at nine on Ch4. Looking forward to catching this.

Frank

I'm finding it harder to remember to watch telly when things are actually broadcast nowadays, but Channel Four are obviously hoping the one-off last ever episode of The IT Crowd (9pm, Friday 20th Sept) will inherit some of the geek audience who tune in to see Marvel's Agents of Shield which directly precedes it. Now Chris O'Dowd's making films in the US I thought I'd seen the last of this, so it's nice they've got back together to cap off the oddly truncated final series.

Spikes

Caught this mid-week, and just rewatched on the i-player.
Grand stuff, indeed.
(And served as a nice reminder of my trip to see the related exhibition at the British Museum the other month). Enjoy!

The Other Pompeii: Life and Death in Herculaneum

Mabs

Conan the Barbarian (2011) on Channel 5 tonight.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

I read all of the Solomon Kane stories when I was younger and remember them as being quite fun but never read any of the Conan works because a friend of a friend had read them and said the character was more of a viking and I knew I wouldn't be able to stop picturing Scwarzenegger. I'll end up watching Conan tonight just to see how different it is to the other film adaptations (even though I've read here and there how it's pretty bad) but it's the final IT Crowd mentioned by Sauchie up above that I'm looking forward to this week. Agents of SHIELD... I don't mean to offend anybody here but I really think that could go either way and I'm probably expecting it to go in not a very good way indeed.

Frank

Quote from: Mabs on 22 September, 2013, 02:17:32 PM
Conan the Barbarian (2011) on Channel 5 tonight.

It's on at the same time as Citizen Kane (BBC Four, 9pm). I've only seen one of them, can anyone who has seen both offer an opinion on which is better?

Hawkmumbler

Citizen Kane. I cant even begin to compare the two.