Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeOiNK!

Quote from: Goaty on 07 February, 2015, 05:01:50 PM
Red Dwarf: White Hole is on DAVE now, the best episode of Red Dwarf :)

A white hole?

"What is it?" ;)
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

great news only digiguide seem to have the Stallone film as its trailer. Sniff, will we never escape its curse? :'(
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CrazyFoxMachine

Wayward Pines has been advertised on billboards about the place so I imagine it's terrestrial very soon or now.

M Night Shyamalan produces a nothingy sci-fi "WHAT TOWN IS THIS" intrigue-athon that wants to be Twin Peaks but leaves the viewer lusting for Portmeirion...

I've been burnt long before by Lost so frankly anything that doesn't immediately state its purpose is out on its ear for me.

GO AWAY. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR ENIGMA.

Link Prime

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 May, 2015, 01:46:27 AM
Wayward Pines has been advertised on billboards about the place so I imagine it's terrestrial very soon or now.

M Night Shyamalan produces a nothingy sci-fi "WHAT TOWN IS THIS" intrigue-athon that wants to be Twin Peaks but leaves the viewer lusting for Portmeirion...

I've been burnt long before by Lost so frankly anything that doesn't immediately state its purpose is out on its ear for me.

GO AWAY. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR ENIGMA.

I love the 'mysterious town genre'; Twin Peaks, Silent Hill, Strangehaven, Blessington etc etc

Wayward Pines, however; two episodes in and I nearly had an aneurysm due to uncontrollable eye-rolling.
(It's on Fox on Thursday nights @ 9.00 by the way)

Link Prime

Another week on Wayward Pines, and the mysteries continue to confound, chief among them Matt Dillon's (51) pitch black hair.

Seriously though, I'm looking at the show in an all new light after accidentally spoiling the 'big twist' via an unrelated Google search.
Seems; [spoiler]Wayward Pines is actually set in the far future, an artificially constructed town on a desolate post-apocalyptic world.
Those large electrified barriers aren't there to keep the population in, but to keep aggressive mutant creatures out.
It's inhabitants have been kept in cold storage from various time periods, and re-integrated into the towns community.
This may or may not have been the work of benevolent aliens, I'm not sure;[/spoiler] I stopped myself as soon as I realised I went too far.

I'm intrigued.

Spikes

Quatermass 2 in is BBC2 tonight, I believe.

Well, I say tonight. It's technically the early hours of Sunday morning (12:35am), but you get my drift...

Keef Monkey

Defiance started back this week. I've never actually heard anyone else admit to watching it but me and Bea are right into it. The opener to the new season had some awkwardly flat and stilted action scenes, but storywise it had us gasping a few times. Good fun show that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 June, 2015, 08:52:18 AM
Defiance started back this week.

I'm afraid the missus and I abandoned it about three episodes short of the end of season two, because we just didn't give a shit what happened. I'm mildly astonished it got picked up for a third series. But, then, five series of Falling Skies? Four of Grimm and a fifth on the way? Clearly, I don't get American TV.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Defiance is paid for by the videogame company who made the online roleplaying game the series is based upon.  Like the first season of BSG (paid for by Sky1), SyFy want to stop making it but can't.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 26 June, 2015, 12:02:29 PM
Defiance is paid for by the videogame company who made the online roleplaying game the series is based upon.  Like the first season of BSG (paid for by Sky1), SyFy want to stop making it but can't.

Really? I knew it was a game tie-in (I actually played the game for a while during season 1 when they were adding missions to go along with weekly episodes - was a nice gimmick to get people going back to an MMO regularly but the point was lost when the UK broadcast slipped way out of sync with the US one in season 2!), but didn't imagine Trion could fund a TV show like that, particularly since the game went free to play. Everything I can find online suggests it performs pretty well for Syfy so always assumed they were the ones renewing it.

Professor Bear

Almost all of SyFy's original content does well, but in a catch 22 situation, they seem allergic to paying to make any - that's why the current crop of new - and relatively expensive-looking - shows are such a surprise.

Theblazeuk

I'm enjoying Wayward Pines, though the idiocy of the people controlling the town is starting to grate. [spoiler]Kate and Harold and many others have been there for years. A decade or more, right? And all they have seen is people get straight up murdered just for asking WTF is going on, wtf can't I leave - all rational questions. This great scientist and all of his volunteers are so dumb they can't see that things are going to get even worse with this 'batch'? At least Batch A just gave up. Setting yourself up as the evil empire will see you die fast.

Oh and obviously there are flaws in so many cars, trucks, etc etc being around 2000 years in the future. Cryogenics is one thing.[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Possibly of interest to fans of Frank Miller comics and/or shite television, Holby City - the medical drama for people who think they're too good to watch Doctors but aren't stupid enough to watch Hollyoaks - had an episode done in the style of Sin City because Reasons.  They did a time loop episode recently, and a live broadcast when they killed off a long-running character, and a Scream-type murder-mystery episode, so clearly someone on staff is a huge fan of Sunset Beach - though after 16 years of Saturday evening omnipresence I wouldn't discount the possibility that the BBC just couldn't give two fucks what they do.

Dandontdare

watched the first two episodes of Last Man on Earth last night - Will Forte plays the lone survivor of a global plague, wandering America looting museums, talking to mannequins and generally fartin' about - then he meets Kristen Schal. Two brilliant leads, and very funny, but I wonder how they will sustain it over a full season (and a second apparently)