Main Menu

JUDGES anthology (and other Dreddverse novellas)

Started by JimmyNailz, 23 January, 2019, 03:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyNailz

(Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere.  I did look for a thread but couldn't find one)

After enjoying the Judge Dredd Year One & Year Two novellas, I excitedly purchased the recent JUDGES book by Michael Carroll (as well as Judge Anderson Year One, that I am yet to get stuck into yet).

I must say, I really enjoyed the first two stories in JUDGES, both as thrilling page turners and as an investigation into why would anyone want to become a Judge, or support the fascist Judge system.  Using propaganda techniques we are all too well aware of thse days, and yet seem to repeatedly fall for, creating scapegoats and arguing the "common sense approach" to cutting red tape, Fargo's footsoldiers take to the streets alongside the police they will one day replace.

As I say, the first two stories really grabbed me and kept me engrossed.  It could be argued that the third story is actually "better written" than the other two, as it uses flashbacks and different narrators to give us all sides of a story, and reads, at times, like a Toni Morrison book (admitedly, I've only read "Beloved"some 20+ years ago, so sorry if that's a lazy comparison.).  Unfortunately, it's higher brow writing style can be a hinderance and flashbacks and diary entries slow down the pace of "the case", which is when the story is at it's most page-turny (especially once the incredibly fun Judge Poet gets involved).

My only other criticism, is the first story shoe-horning in an origin for the word "Drokk".  Gotta say, that one tiny bit (it's literally only two or three lines) made me wince a bit.

on the whole though, I really enjoyed JUDGES, would love to see this period of the Dreddverse history appear in Meg or Prog more often, and will certainly buy any future 2000ad themed novellas.

broodblik

"The Paradigm Shift" running in prog 2082-2086 was such a story. Also written by Michael Carroll. This was one of the best Dredd stories during 2018.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Quote from: broodblik on 23 January, 2019, 04:31:45 PM
"The Paradigm Shift" running in prog 2082-2086 was such a story. Also written by Michael Carroll. This was one of the best Dredd stories during 2018.
I agree with these sentiments. It's a barely-tapped well IMO.

titchard

I honestly didn't know these were a thing! I have bookmarked them to get them in the future.