Main Menu

Meg351: The Rising

Started by Proudhuff, 16 August, 2014, 11:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Well yet again the Meg is knocking it out the park.

Great movie Dredd cover and a rather inspiring set of prints for 'new' subbies.
Dredd: Dead Zone has cracking art from the mighty Flint and and the story is the kind of thing I was expecting more of in the shadow of D0C.
Interrogation of Guy Adams who seems to have the copies of THOSE photos of Tharg, altho I do fancy Goldtiger!

Lucy lawless continues its wersten vibe and the art has a nice lightness of touch. But can't replace Insurrection in my heart.
The man from Delmonte the Ministry is choc full of easter eggs and ends on a fine cliff hanger ( can we still say that?)

Neil Roberts is interrogated about his highly coloured world too

A 3 page ad for IDW Anderson does it justice,

While Dredd Uprising  has all the right bits of the movie but strangely lack any sound effects.

Great Megazine, again if you're a Dredd fan, now is the time to jump on the Megazine bandwagon.
DDT did a job on me

Prodigal2

Is Man from the Ministry still innit?

Frank

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 16 August, 2014, 01:09:56 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 August, 2014, 11:28:04 AM
The man from Delmonte the Ministry is choc full of easter eggs and ends on a fine cliff hanger

You must pay attention to Proudhuff's every word as you would the utterances of a yogi or guru. Thanks for flinging up the cover, eamonn - I suppose it makes sense to repurpose the artwork from the US version of the strip (or should that be the other way round?).

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Has that[spoiler] magical bracelet[/spoiler] been seen in Dredd before? Seems a bit of a Macguffin...

Banners

Really enjoyed the interview with Guy Adams, and hope Tharg sends lots more work his way.

Bolt-01

Nice to see the interview with Neil Roberts and that he remembered to mention his work on Zarjaz. He's done some fantastic strips (In Zarjaz 06, 07 and 10) for Zarjaz and also for FutureQuake proper!

Prodigal2

Quote from: sauchie post office on 16 August, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: Prodigal2 on 16 August, 2014, 01:09:56 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 August, 2014, 11:28:04 AM
The man from Delmonte the Ministry is choc full of easter eggs and ends on a fine cliff hanger

You must pay attention to Proudhuff's every word as you would the utterances of a yogi or guru. Thanks for flinging up the cover, eamonn - I suppose it makes sense to repurpose the artwork from the US version of the strip (or should that be the other way round?).

Proudhuff I apologise for my utter daftness in not spotting your Man from the Ministry reference.

Sauchie thank you for showing me the path.

Proudhuff

No, no, 'my bad' as those dreadful colonials say.  I should have enbolded the title and dropped the obscure fruit reference...
DDT did a job on me

Daveycandlish

Favourite bits in this months Meg are Man from the Ministry and the news we are getting a collected Tales of Telguuth soon. Hurrah!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

sheridan

Nice appearance by Steptoe (and Son) in Lawless there.

judgerufian

I heartily agree about the state of the Meg, JD is really good (though the magic bracelet seemed to be a bit 'huh what?', hopefullly explained soon. JD's confirmation of his jurisdiction was sharp and to the point, great writing.

Was a bit blah so what about Lawless last issue but wow, really enjoyed this months episode, she has the making of a strong character similar to Koburn (but without the laziness). Her chair sitting could be a little less gratitious though  ::)

Man from the Ministry was good solid enjoyment, the art is fun though some bits look really computery detailed (the Newton's beacon). Nice to read this as a bit of fun against the gritty JD tale.

Dredd Uprising, its really interesting that considering its the 'same' character, movie JD and movie MC1 seem so different, less crazy more desperate yet more believable as 'our' future now rather than the MC1 of 70's future. Does that make sense....bah I know what I mean anyway! Looking forward to the next parts of all the strips.

Not read the articles yet but blimey the Guy Adams one seemed long while flicking through it!
Oh and good eye catching cover too.....though a bit dark (in clour not tome) after last months colourful montage of characters.

Good job!

8-Ball

Let the monthly flick through commence...

Nice cover by Ben Wilsher. I am hoping that DREDD sequels will become a recurring part of the Meg so that all the big beasts get a chance to do Dredd in his movie gear.

Judge Dredd - Dead Zone (part two): Just splendid. Wagner and Flint are an awesome pairing. I don't want to spoil it for anyone still to read it but I will say that the bracelet is an intriguing twist. Do we know how many parts this is going to be?

Interrogation - Guy Adams: The main thing that I took from this is that Tharg isn't really interested in new Rogue Trooper or Robo-Hunter stories.

Lawless - Welcome To Badrock (part two): More assured in the second installment. Loved the references to Insurrection and I adored her Lawmaster trike.

The Man From The Ministry (part four): Four parts in and I'm still not sure where this is going. Possibly into outer space.

Interrogation - Neil Roberts: I am quite taken with Neil's style. More please.

Second Sight / New Comics - Anderson, Psi Division: A three page advertorial for IDW's Anderson mini. I have to say that I much prefer Carl Critchlow's new art style to the older painted one from the nineties that I remember from my teens.

Dredd - Uprise (part two): More solid storytelling from Wyatt and Davidson and pretty topical given current events in St Louis. Is Judge Darryl a bad'un? Judge Conti seems to be implying that she only blew up the vehicle on his orders.

All in all, another fine Meg.

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Grobbendonk

Really enjoying my return to the Meg. Especially now I'm reading it on my shiny new high def tablet!

This is my 2nd issue in and I'm loving the Judge Dredd tale. Though the flashback to McPhee's demise required a double take for me to follow. Bloody lovely art.

I'm glad Lawless is less sweary this week. I'm starting to really like Marshal Lawson. Again, gorgeous art.

Enjoyed Man from the Ministry more this week too. I think its a case of getting into the pace of it.

I'm pleased that Dredd is pleasing me. I was worried that, although I loved the film, I wouldn't want to embrace the the alternative take on a world I've loved for so long. Is it me or do the final panels of this and this week's JD in the prog imply a mirroring of plot-lines? Its all quite V for Vendetta in both.

All in all, I'm very glad I jumped on board again. I'm even reading the Interrogations.

I really didn't enjoy the collected Valkyries though. Found it a confused and pointless slog. Gratuitous sex and nudity is all well and good, if its well done or saying something. If it was supposed to shine a light on sexism etc it failed (for me). If it wasn't, then it was just a pretty dire over-done lesbian rad-fem joke. Did I miss something?