Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 10 February, 2020, 07:11:05 PM
Tommy Smith, co-owner and barman of Grogan's Pub on South William Street, Dublin. He personally showed me much kindness, support and empathy over the 35 plus years that I was a visitor to the best pub in Dublin, bar none. I am so deeply saddened to hear of his passing and will raise a glass to his memory tonight. Rest in Peace, Tommy Smith.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/grogans-bar-5001118-Feb2020/

Sorry to hear that -  I never knew his name till now but I've bought many pints off him.  I dont like Grogans*, but all my friends do so I'm there quite a bit.  He, and all the staff, have never been anything short of exemplary ambassadors to their trade.

*the only real problem being that it's so popular - you can't move in there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

Love Island host Caroline Flack aged just 40

sheridan

Quote from: rogue69 on 15 February, 2020, 06:06:23 PM

BBC.

Can't say I'd heard of her before today but I've since heard phrases such as "committed suicide after being hounded by tabloid journalists".  I'm sure the truth will come out (though if that phrase is true then it might be difficult to get the whole story without digging).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 15 February, 2020, 06:48:46 PM
Quote from: rogue69 on 15 February, 2020, 06:06:23 PM

BBC.

Can't say I'd heard of her before today but I've since heard phrases such as "committed suicide after being hounded by tabloid journalists".  I'm sure the truth will come out (though if that phrase is true then it might be difficult to get the whole story without digging).

(see "Diana killed during high-speed chase by paparazzi" versus islamophobic conspiracy theories about muslims and the royal family).

JayzusB.Christ

Andy Weatherall. If you liked jumping about in dark rooms to repetitive beats as a youth, he was important.  Sabres of Paradise were incredible too, and The Happy Mondays and Primal Scream wouldn't have got where they did without Andy. He'll be missed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Smokebelch II: lifting my spirit and making me wonder.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 February, 2020, 04:18:22 PM
Andy Weatherall. If you liked jumping about in dark rooms to repetitive beats as a youth, he was important.  Sabres of Paradise were incredible too, and The Happy Mondays and Primal Scream wouldn't have got where they did without Andy. He'll be missed.

I still do. Shame.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

I think the death of Caroline Flack has been really upsetting.
Suicide is always horrible and this one seems like such an indictment on our shitty society.
There have been lots of people sharing the #bekind hashtag as if it's okay to talk about people and obsess about their private lives as long as you aren't nasty about it. I can't help thinking #mindyourownfuckingbusiness might be more useful.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 February, 2020, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 February, 2020, 04:18:22 PM
I still do. Shame.
Yeah, me too. This is a sad one. Read an interview with him a few months ago and it was great to see someone obviously so happy to be finding and playing music of all kinds.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 18 February, 2020, 11:30:41 AM
I can't help thinking #mindyourownfuckingbusiness might be more useful.

QFT. I confess I'd never consciously seen or heard of Caroline Flack before this, but what a miserable world we live in where the intimate details of people's lives and deaths are the speculative currency of profiteering media and online gossips alike. Horrible to see anyone brought to such an end.

As no kind of a clubber, Andy Weatherall was someone who I enjoyed at secondhand through my DJ brother and his vast debris field of illegbly-marker-scrawled burnt CDs. I liked his My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream and Saint Etienne remixes, and what I generally understand to have been his work on something labelled 'From the Bunker'. A clear talent, and again, ridiculously young.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 February, 2020, 01:50:43 PM
I confess I'd never consciously seen or heard of Caroline Flack before this, but what a miserable world we live in where the intimate details of people's lives and deaths are the speculative currency of profiteering media and online gossips alike. Horrible to see anyone brought to such an end.

Not exactly that new mind, remember all the 'grief' over Diana?  Channel 4 was the only one that didn't spend an entire day on her ...

rogue69

actress Kellye Nakahara best known as Lieutenant Nurse Kellye in all 11 years of M.A.S.H

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/17/mash-star-kellye-nakahara-dies-aged-72-12257579/

Funt Solo

Dance DJ Bhaskar Dandona. Hands in the air, water at the ready, nasal decongestant to hand: for the mad-heads only.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Larry Tesler, computer scientist, 74.  Invented cut, copy and paste.

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 20 February, 2020, 12:59:56 PM
Larry Tesler, computer scientist, 74.  Invented cut, copy and paste.

Someone posted this on Imgur and the comments section is just people copying and pasting the headline over and over again. Fitting tribute.