Main Menu

Scorsese makes Joker movie - or The Death of Culture

Started by Frank, 23 August, 2017, 08:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 20 October, 2019, 08:28:09 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 October, 2019, 08:15:14 PM
Unlike his grumpy mates, Spielberg wants to do a comic film.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielberg-blackhawk-dc-1202756319/

As Kevin Smith, promoting the new Jay & Silent Bob joint, points out, Scorsese's made his superhero movie.

Kevin Smith in his role as peace mediator for Hollywood.

JayzusB.Christ

Finally watched Joker, and I have to say I loved it.  There are definitely plot holes, but I found his descent into psychopathy believable  - I was wondering at near the end how [spoiler]all of Gotham's gangs would be dancing to his tune, but when it did happen - in a very literal way - it completely made sense.[/spoiler]

Obviously there are the oft-mentioned riffs on Taxi Driver and King of Comedy (but hey, it's not like they did it behind Bobby D's back), but there's also a healthy dose of Norman Bates in the mix.  I'm not particularly invested in Batman continuity so I can live with the fact that [spoiler]all of Gotham knows the J-Dog's true identity, he will be a geriatric when Batman gets properly into the swing of things, Thomas Wayne is old and a bit of a dick, and the Wayne killer is wearing a clown mask[/spoiler]; and I really love the fact that [spoiler]Batman is born at the exact moment the Joker is.[/spoiler]

I wonder how Jack Nicholson feels about such amazing actors making his then-definitive turn as the Joker seem so redundant? A quick watch of Suicide Squad should cheer him up.

P.S. And just to prove the Joker is cooler than you, he was into the KLF before they even existed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 October, 2019, 09:46:46 PMP.S. And just to prove the Joker is cooler than you, he was into the KLF before they even existed.

And KLF are cooler than the Joker: they burnt a pile of money years ago.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 October, 2019, 09:56:51 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 October, 2019, 09:46:46 PMP.S. And just to prove the Joker is cooler than you, he was into the KLF before they even existed.

And KLF are cooler than the Joker: they burnt a pile of money years ago.

:o
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

... and only now do I discover that he's not dancing to the KLF at all, but a Gary fucking Glitter song that the KLF sampled in their successful experiment to cynically create a guaranteed number 1 hit.  I'd always assumed they made that bit up.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 October, 2019, 10:10:21 PM
... and only now do I discover that he's not dancing to the KLF at all, but a Gary fucking Glitter song

Although Gadd won't profit from the song's use in the film or even increased sales and streaming, since he sold all rights to his back catalogue weeks before he was outed as a paediatrician.

He may still get something from the song's regular use at US sporting events.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Frank on 29 October, 2019, 10:40:29 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 October, 2019, 10:10:21 PM
... and only now do I discover that he's not dancing to the KLF at all, but a Gary fucking Glitter song

Although Gadd won't profit from the song's use in the film or even increased sales and streaming, since he sold all rights to his back catalogue weeks before he was outed as a paediatrician.

Glad to hear it.  He'll be lucky to get out before he dies anyway.