Main Menu

Prog 2171 - City Under Seige

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 February, 2020, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well normal service is resumed after last weeks all ages issue and we get a sense of what a normal Prog is like after the stella line-up of late.

Dredd tells us that Kenneth Neimand  is the Dredd writer of none Wagner choice. Its another wonderful opener from him as he deftly weaves a  familar story of the lost visiter out of their depth in MC1, given too little time to do too much in a bitter, harsh and unfriendly city - almost like... well Kenny Who? Then he turns it on its head. Its like he's playing with us, but wth great stories, he's so good he's teasing us with his great tales now. The minx. Oh and Jake Lynch is aces.

Proteus Vex was denied its rightfully timed ending this week, but its still a great ending a week late. This has been a superb story and I want more. It feels there could well be more, this is a big world to explore but if that's all it'll be a very fondly remembered done in one.

Skip Tracer is swapped in for Brink and of course just about anything swopped in for Brink is going to weeken the line-up. Still its a decent enough opening but nothing to truly get our teeth into yet.

Zaucer of Zilk has another great episode and a very strong ending 'Next Prog: Tutu much!' of you punny buggers.

Feral and Foe has a corker again, I can only assume as we have another Tank, whose fate will surprise no one paying attention. Do we have to wait for the next one to come along or can this story keep up being brilliant without one? I mean its good at all time but with added Tank seems to get elevated a level or two!

So there you have it a more reasonable quality Dredd with just the four crackers and one perfectly servicable. That a Prog this strong is a step down from recent issues just goes to so how Tharg has been treating us so well of late.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 February, 2020, 09:20:59 PM

Proteus Vex was denied its rightfully timed ending this week, but its still a great ending a week late. This has been a superb story and I want more. It feels there could well be more, this is a big world to explore but if that's all it'll be a very fondly remembered done in one.

Accordingly to an interview with Michael last year he is currently working on the second script:
https://2000ad.com/news/interview-who-or-what-is-proteus-vex/
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 01 March, 2020, 04:12:17 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 February, 2020, 09:20:59 PM

Accordingly to an interview with Michael last year he is currently working on the second script:
https://2000ad.com/news/interview-who-or-what-is-proteus-vex/

That is fantastic news.... I read that interview and clearly my memory beat that nugget of information into some dark corner of my dim mind - so thanks for the reminder.

IndigoPrime

I hope we one day learn more about Neimand's background. His scripts are essentially Wagner quality, and he has a great handle on the city. Quite the find by Tharg, assuming he's not an existing droid in disguise. I only hope he doesn't get snatched away by one of the big two. (Come back, Al Ewing!)

Richard

I love Jimmy Broxton's style, and this cover is an excellent example. I would really like to see him do Dredd one day.

Judge Dredd by Kenneth Niemand is never disappointing.

Proteus Vex ends, earlier than I expected, but it's a good ending and I've enjoyed this series. Wouldn't mind a sequel. I hadn't realised that Michael Carroll had never written his own series before, so I'm happy for him.

Skip Tracer -- haven't we had enough of this series yet? Actually to be fair and judge this episode solely on its own merits, this isn't a bad episode. But that doesn't mean I want to read another nine episodes.

Zaucer of whatever -- no thank you. I like it when Craggaknock (or whatever his name is) is in it, but otherwise this sequel is a pale imitation of the original.

Feral and Foe is entertaining as usual. This series took a couple of episodes for me to warm to it, but now I think it's really good fun. When it finishes I'll go back and read the beginning again and re-appraise it.

Have we been told what is replacing P-Vex next week?

IndigoPrime

Darren Stephens

Only read Dredd and Vex so far. Both superb! Sincerely hope the latter comes back for a second run.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Leigh S

The Niemand Dredd was great - if it had ended this week that would have been fine.  Perhaps a others have pointed out a bit derivative in terms of "fish out of water bumps against Dept", but well put together - love the scene where you just see the aliens face reacting to the various indignities encountered....

Magnetica

Great Prog again, even with Zaucer and Skip Tracer.
And that's a phrase I never thought I would write.

One thing skipping a week of the regular thrills has done is not make me associate Skip Tracer as being the replacement for Brink. And given that cover I think it would be improved immeasurably by having Jimmy Broxton draw it.

broodblik

Dredd – A interesting start by Niemand and Lynch. Looks like another solid Dredd story

Proteus Vex – The current arc ends in very satisfying way. This was a good start to a new series and hopefully it will return sooner than later.

Skip Tracer – A good start for the new series. A little bit more intriguing than the last story.

Zaucer – The story has a surprising ending to the episode [spoiler]and the real enemy must still be revealed[/spoiler].

Feral & Foe – I am really getting into this new series by Abnett and Elson. Good stuff

With the return to normality we again get a very good solid prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Just picked up my prog, that cover is fantastic. Hope/Skip Tracer crossover anyone..?

Keef Monkey

Have to say, as much as the Regened issues don't bother me as such it did feel really good to sit down to a regular prog again! Nice cover that got me right in the mood too.

Dredd – Great start, love the art and like that we might be getting to see the alien turn the tables a bit for some cathartic kickback against his treatment. Be interesting to see where it goes with that.

Proteus Vex – I've found this really hard to follow week to week but I feel like that's me and I really want to sit and read it in a oner so I can properly follow it. I really do think that when I do that it's all going to click for me, because I definitely didn't dislike it.

Skip Tracer – I really like Skip Tracer as I'm a bit of a sucker for the art and cyberpunky aesthetic, it seems to connect with me so was glad to have it back. I felt like I didn't get enough to get my bearings again this week though so want more already, which is a good thing!

Zilk – I've just been skim-reading this one for the art if I'm honest, the story just doesn't do anything for me. Definitely a taste thing, but it's the first thing in the prog in a while where I'm looking forward to it concluding and being swapped out.

Feral & Foe – Really into this series, every episode has been great so far and this was no different. More please Tharg!

norton canes

Sparkling efforts book-ending the prog this week (Dredd and Feral & Foe, for those who don't have theirs to hand), extra oil rations to all droids concerned. Great contributions too in the form of Proteus Vex and Skip Tracer, the former leaving us too early, the latter returning after too long. Kudos to the Marshall and Teague droids' depiction of The Cube - strongly reminiscent of Dave Gibbons' realisation of Topsoil, which I loved on its brief Dan Dare appearances. And then there's Zaucer Of Zilk, which just doesn't rattle my tattle. But so what? What do I know?! If I was Tharg I'd be filling the prog with all kinds of crap that people hated. Thank Grud he's the one making the choices, and puts in something for everyone.

Fungus

Enjoyed that, though Skip Tracer and Zaucer aren't really for me.
Struck most of all that Lynch and Flint's art in the first two Thrills are wonderful disciples of McMahon. A Good Thing 😀
Proteus Vex needs a reread too, in order to appreciate what just happened to my eyes these past weeks....