Main Menu

Prog 1489 - Bullet Point

Started by Bad Andy, 22 May, 2006, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wadew1

So who takes over for Dante next issue?

DavidXBrunt

I suspect we're in double episode finale territory next week, or is it the return of Harry Kipling?

wadew1

DavidXBrunt

Double episode then. Future Shock?

Okay there's a prize for the most thrill enhancing caption for this weeks prog cover. It's been a while since we had a compy and it'll be fun to see what's produced.

I, Cosh

"Oi! Bignose!"

yeah, that's pretty crap
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I never thought the day would come when the best thing in the prog was a letter... by James.
Lock up your spoons!

Dudley

Worst to best....

7) Low Life.  Coleby's not had the best of days on this.  Very inconsistent characterisation of people the script doesn;t give me any reason to care about.

6) The cover.  I am yet to really like a Dylan Teague cover, just too clinical for my eye.

5) The VC's.  How can so much happen yet leave me with an impression of stasis?

4) Dredd.  If Eva de la was still colouring PJ's art, this would probably go up another notch.  Put them back together soon!  Oh, and the plot's going great guns now.

3) Actually, that was a pretty good Dante.  introducing your villains and killing em all off in 3 episodes, and finally forcing the confrontation between mother and son is Good Stuff.  He needs a longer arc, though, Tharg.

2) My letter getting printed, and Tharg's reply.  Made me laugh.

1) Lobster Random.  Actually better than having a personal message from Tharg.

Bolt-01

Another vote for Eva's Colour. I can't understand why she was only given one episode. Surely a whole story would be more appropriate?

Bolt-01

wadew1

"Langosta Escogido Al Azar
Pick of the bunch, this. Excellent arm-snippage, double-take double-back at the start AND a cliffhanger - what is he smirking about?"

What was coming out of his zombie arm?

And about the smirk, look at 1488. He does something right before Teak hits him with that  HautE stuff.

Satanist

Cover - No, sorry it doesn't do anything for me. Bo-Ring! Which kinda sums up the prog.

Dredd - Best thing in the prog and I think the art is growing on me.

Lobstah - Doesn't make me laugh but it sure crams a lot in. Worth it just for the art.

VC's - Its there, that's about all I can say.

Dante - This is another one I have no interest in. I've never read the first glorious arc and from what I have I'm not bothered.

James letter was funny though.

Ho-hum prog that wont be reread in a hurry.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

HiEx

Looks like I'm the only one to notice that the pistol on the cover is obviously a copy of the pistol Harrison Ford's character uses in Blade Runner.

Do I win a prize? :-)

Graham

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Functional. OK Stuff.

Dredd: Solid yarn, bomb scare avoids being too cliched. Nice cliffhanger, will we see Guth's true colours? Good Stuff.

Lob: His crabiness is a bit too invincible here for my liking, the cliffhanger is ruined slightly when we find out that Lob has already got a plan. but at least it's smarts Lob has in his corner, not Millartastic mustle power. Critchlow's art is as alluring as ever, and the power of Spurrier is strong in this episode. Very Good Stuff.

VCs: Humourless, colourless mush. Don't care about what happens to these people. Williams is not my kind of thing. Bad Stuff.

Low Life: Coleby is off here. Don't really care about Aimee or her boyf, or "It was me all along"-guy. Bad Stuff.

Dante: Combines frolics and japes with plot development in a satisfying way. Burns doesn't quite bring his 'A'-game here, but his 'B'-game is better than most. Some Morrisontastic misery threatens to ruin things towards the end, but the net result is that I'm interested in what happens next. Good Stuff.

Nice letter James.

Overall: Two duff stories does not a bad prog make. Worth ?1.75 and 1 pence more.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

paulvonscott

For some reason, I thought Dredd was punching through the reinforced metal door this week, and for one ghastly moment thought Dredd's 'electronux' from that Meg story had turned up again and been upgraded.

It's not the sort of thing I'd have expected from Rennie, and it was all made clear a second later, but what a second.  Images of the Fonz water ski-jumping ten sharks tied together suddenly flashed through my mind.

In any other comic, this sort of thing would of course be quite normal.

Carlsborg Expert

That cover is Bladerunner.

Dredd is actually looking quite a fiesty strip now. I like the Gordens use of "magic pockets".

Lobster to's and fros. Is this an editorial decision or a humour one?

VC's is some solid non-nonsensical story and its refreshing.Very D+D.In space.

Low Life is better than most American comics yet the throat thing, well it was wrong. Rather Nixon cops a neck full of steel and then gives chase.

Dante is finished. Some beautiful work from Burns.

Letters are good and Mackay got a rilligien hotshot in the post.
Who entered the Fly Boxset Comp then?

IndigoPrime

:: Dante - This is another one I have no interest in. I've never
:: read the first glorious arc and from what I have I'm not bothered.

Once Tsar Wars comes out in trade form, buy the four trades, read and enjoy them. And then pretend that's where Dante stopped.

As for the Prog, I thought it was OK this week.

Dredd's keeping my interest: Rennie's one of the very few writers who just about "gets" the character and the art's pretty good (reminding me of Paul Marshall's better work). Lobster Random was next best for me: imaginative, beautifully illustrated, but a touch heavy on the captions.

Dante was OK, but we're a long way from the character's classic moments. As others have said, perhaps we need a much longer arc to get the character going again. Elsewhere was pure "meh" territory: I really don't care for the VCs (and have a horrible feeling yet another bloody book's going to be inflicted on us after this one), and Low Life's been pretty disappointing after the energetic and fun earlier stories.

Oh, and I agree with others about that cover: it hardly screams BUY ME!

Still, not bad, and Red Seas is back soon, which gave me a little "yay!" moment.