Main Menu

1925 - Force Of nature

Started by Bad City Blue, 01 April, 2015, 02:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

Quote from: ZenArcade on 04 April, 2015, 11:19:59 AM
Cool, I hope she tells him to wind his fucking neck in; stop whinging and man up! Z

Yeah because that's always been a great choice for a Chief Judge.Atagonise Joe that'll keep you in a job :)

ZenArcade

Ah our Barbara has Joe well figured out. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Geoff

Very true, but she's feeling the strain a bit if the eyes at the bottom of page 5 are anything to go by...

Richard

To be fair, she's probably been very busy, what with the state the city's in and everything.

ThryllSeekyr

Damn, I'll have to wait until next week to get mine....not enough money to pay for digital copy this Wednesday coming......

JPMaybe

Liking Dredd so far, but does anyone else find the mention of "250 ex-judges" as something to worry about rather silly?  If I remember rightly the danger of the Titan convicts infiltrating the Meg was one of the plot threads in Titan too- what exactly are a few hundred malnourished surgically mutilated space prisoners going to do to a city that's seen off extra-dimensional psychic zombie-witches and the like?
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

IndigoPrime

Dredd overstepping the mark was interesting. Sooner or later he and Hershey are going to have a big falling out. As for the rest, Strontium Dog took an odd turn. I really liked most of last week's opener, but the depiction of the North Koreans has me feeling a bit uneasy. Such overt caricature has I guess been a part of Strontium Dog from day one, but it's still a bit off in these more enlightened times, akin to someone doing dodgy accents while pulling at the sides of their eyes.

Hawkmumbler

I haven't got my hands on the prog yet, but are the somewhat dodgy jokes at the expense of the Korean dictator or Korean people in general?

IndigoPrime

A bit of both. It's clearly subtle-as-a-brick satire on the regime, but it still feels a bit off.

Frank

It's possible to be amused by the particularities of a specific culture without holding it in contempt, or being so consumed by liberal guilt you don't feel you have permission to enjoy the silliness of them. I'm sure the survivors of the massacre at Jock's Landing would agree:

Strontium Dog: Outlaw, prog 363

Just to be clear, the victims are of an ethnicity different to those of the majority of the intended audience [1]. Their names, speech, and dress are exaggerated in a way which draws on ethnic stereotypes, and their deaths are played for laughs. Later on in the story, the weird inhabitants of this rural backwater are portrayed as cowardly liars who have betrayed the noble hero of the story, who is of the same ethnicity as the majority of the intended audience.

[1] ... and the authors, come to that. Scotland isn't a monoculture, and Och-Eleven is an affectionate burlesque of the fishing communities of the North East

Dark Jimbo

Good stuff in Dredd, and that panel is crackin.'

Slaine is more of the same as last week. Little too much talking-while-fighting for my taste, but it's good stuff and looks gorgeous.

Orlok made more sense this week, but I'm still not enamoured on the whole.

Grey Area is a long way from being one of my favourite strips, but this outing is jolly good so far - not least because the silly, juvenile bickering of the cast hasn't had a chance to make an appearance yet and the interesting alien stuff is foregrounded.

Poor Kid sacrificed an eye for the mutant cause! He's a great character - even more of a dick than his old man - and I'm glad he survived the uprising. Strontium Dog gets to the heart of the matter surprisingly quickly, which I suppose makes for a good counterbalance to Johnny's fairly grim state of mind these days. The Korean stuff is painted in fairly broad strokes, which was my only problem with it. I find the Stix aspect by far and away the more interesting angle, so looking forward to how that develops. Wee Gronk was a lovely touch!

Bit odd that we already seem to be in that 'ticking-along' phase only two progs into the new line-up! Hope things kick up a gear soon.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 April, 2015, 10:57:46 AM
Dredd overstepping the mark was interesting. Sooner or later he and Hershey are going to have a big falling out. As for the rest, Strontium Dog took an odd turn. I really liked most of last week's opener, but the depiction of the North Koreans has me feeling a bit uneasy. Such overt caricature has I guess been a part of Strontium Dog from day one, but it's still a bit off in these more enlightened times, akin to someone doing dodgy accents while pulling at the sides of their eyes.
Presumably this is why it was originally trailed as The Jing Jong Job and is now called The Stix Fix?

Lady Warp Spasm

Orlok was good fun.

Slaine had a superb twist, but I do hope he gets out of the Drune lair soon. Slough Feg's son is a snoozer. Gorgeous art as usual.

The rest is not grabbing me, so I politely leave it at that.

Judge Nutmeg

Blow it to hell, contender for panel of the year in my eyes

ZenArcade

Am I the only one here who likes Barbara when she's angry? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead