Best 2000 AD strips of 2019

Started by norton canes, 03 January, 2020, 11:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

1: Absalom
2:Scarlet Traces
3: Hope.

third place hotly contested by Jaegir.

There was a lot I didn't like tbh, but that's the joy of 2k, obvs Dredd No1 in real life.
DDT did a job on me

Fungus

1. Fiends of the Eastern Front
2. Max Normal
3. Brink

Hope deserves another go, feel I'm missing something there.
Absalom not quite as magnificent as preceding runs so probably unlucky this time round. Looking forward to Cabbalistics in the Ultimate collection then back in the prog (did I read that somewhere?)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 03 January, 2020, 06:04:32 PM
Looking forward to Cabbalistics in the Ultimate collection then back in the prog (did I read that somewhere?)

No. Gordon and Dom have their 'Diaboliks' spin-off coming, but Caballistics itself is done.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

1 Brink
2 Jaegir
3 Absalom

AS others have mentioned, third place was a hard choice, and funny how a few stories I would not have considered at all are on peoples lists, the joys of an anthology!

DrJomster

1. Brink, so good
2. Absalom, if only there could be more
3. Hope, an excellent second series

Honourable mention: Jaegir, which could easily have made the top 3 with a slightly longer run. It really is very good.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dandontdare

1. Brink
2. Fall of Deadworld
3. Sinister Dexter

This was like last season's Premier League - two equally matched contenders decided on the narrowest of margins (could've gone either way Brian); followed by a confusing and ever changing scramble for third place. Absalom, Scarlet Traces and Indigo Prime all fell at the play-offs.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

1. Brink
2. Sinister Dexter
3. Scarlet Traces

I, Cosh

Quote from: norton canes on 03 January, 2020, 11:26:40 AM
There are 21 strips in the running this year. I've taken the list from the strip breakdowns on the 2000 AD shop pages, so please let me know if I've missed anything. ... I haven't included any of the new stories from the current Xmas prog as I think it's better to let them bed in for next year's vote.
Excellent work. I had the grand dream of creating a 2019 readers poll using google forms but never got any further than pruning down the lists.

Think you've missed out two stories, but both of them were single issues so unlikely to trouble the rankings. Rogue Trooper from the Regened Prog and Caballistics from last year's Christmas prog. Apologies if you included that last year but that would seem inconsistent to me.

My rankings for strips:

01. Brink
02. Jaegir
03. Absalom

Not even close for the top spot. If we were including Meg strips then maybe Lawless would have had a chance. The other places were more hotly contested. Jaegir having two outings and the dramatic reversal from its lead did it for me. Hope was bubbling under but ultimately I felt it spilled some of it's interesting mysteries a bit too soon, while Absalom picked up some points for what had come before and Tiernen's incomparable art.

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2020, 01:24:57 PM
Quote from: Richard on 03 January, 2020, 01:12:14 PM
I agree that Dredd should have its own poll.
I reckon that top spot in that one would be a foregone conclusion, but maybe a decent tussle for runners-up.
Actually think it's a two way fight between Machine Law and Guatemala.

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2020, 01:24:57 PM
Here, if no-one else fancies the gig, I'll get a Dredd poll up and running later today.
If you want to go ahead, here's a link to a GSheet with all this year's strip details split out. It includes Meg stories, starts with last year's Christmas issues and ignores this year's: 2019 AD Strips
We never really die.

TordelBack

Magnetica

1.  Brink
2.  Kingmaker
3.  Grey Area

MumboJimbo

1. Defoe
2. Thistlebone
3. Brink

Really loved Fall of Deadworld, Indigo Prime and Grey Area as well, but - alas! - only 3 can make the cut.

Defoe wasn't perfect, but the sheer scope of its imagination,  and the ambition of SK Moore's art was breathtaking. 2000 AD at its very best.

Tiplodocus

1. BRINK
2. Absalom
3. Jaegir

These have just been must read stuff for me.

I haven't got on with quite a few stories this year (and even then it was rare that I didn't connect with both art and script) but hey, it's an anthology.

But thanks Tharg and droids, a very enjoyable year which at times had me desperately waiting for every next instalment of every strip.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 January, 2020, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 03 January, 2020, 06:04:32 PM
Looking forward to Cabbalistics in the Ultimate collection then back in the prog (did I read that somewhere?)

No. Gordon and Dom have their 'Diaboliks' spin-off coming, but Caballistics itself is done.

Yes, spin-off is what I was getting at.

jabish

1. Brink
2. Grey Area
3. The Fall of Dead-world

O Lucky Stevie!

We're still awaiting the final three progs of 2019 here Down Under but Stevie's alphabetically-ordered picks of the year (so far) are:

1) Brink
2) Scarlet Traces
3) Thistlebone

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"