Main Menu

Thought Bubble, Leeds, 15th & 16th November

Started by Bat King, 13 April, 2014, 01:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 16 November, 2014, 02:37:13 AM
Dear me, you must've been there to witness who laid hands on who first!

Personally, I would be extremely surprised to find that anybody other than a certain well known Fathead had started it.
Pffft...

Steven Sterlacchini

I've been to Thought Bubble about five times, and this was the best one for me!

I only spent a short time in costume (which was with my son for about an hour) which meant I actually got a chance to talk to people, which was brilliant.

Pete Wells wins Thought Bubble, for reminding me about everything I like about 2000 AD and the people I've met reading it. He's a beacon and a guiding light.

Bat King

I second that! Pete always puts a smile on my face; his enthusiasm is brilliant.

I spent most of my time wandering around either talking to people or trying to find the people I wanted to talk to. Some comic creators did think my request for them to sign my reviews booklet was a bit odd. Dave Taylor though told me about a much odder request and thought mine was perfectly fine... As well as recognised by Douglas Wolk a few creators remembered me from my Reviews Book last year.

Made a few connections with publishers I haven't yet reviewed - yeah that did mean buying product. But at least they now know who I am - they'll forget until I e-mail them to tell them I have reviewed something of course. So really not 'connections' yet but you know what I mean.

And just to re-iterate; really great to meet Forumites for the first time. I love this hobby/interest and really like talking to folk about it.

I'll be doing a bigger write up of my experience on mi blog - but most of it is on here at least in brief :)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Steve Green

Just got in - had a great time.

Another vote for Judge Jimp as the highlight of the con, but was great to catch up with people, although being on a table I get a new appreciation for how difficult it is to get time to speak to people, at least during the non-drinking bits...

I've posted a few pics of the strontium dog props in the sd thread, but I'll post the other pics here once I've had a chance to go through them tomorrow...

CrazyFoxMachine

Wells won the con - !

Gutted that I missed Hawk both times he came by my table on Saturday - sorry sir!  :(

Hawkmumbler

Ah don't worry about is Foxy you where a busy man! It was lovely to talk to your missus though and she was very insightful into the production of the Journel. Maybe next year we can finaly get introduced.

Other highlights for me where being the first to talk to both Simon Davis and Rob Williams. I have to say I was a little shy to talk to Simon at first, being the sad fan boy I am, but damned if he isn't just one of the nicest blokes. Rob was a joy to talk to as I basicly gushed about how much I loved The Royals, Ordinary, and Low Life. Great man, got him to sign my copy of The Royals.

Peter Doherty did a comission for me as well and we had a chat about his art in Death and his Ratfink story. I'll post pictures of the comission later as well as the sketch cards by Davis and our own Megabus I now own. Lovely day all round and a joy to watch Future Shock with Dan, Colin and Bat King. What a great documentary.

Dunk!

"Trust we"

Steve Green

COMMANDO FORCES

Dandontdare

Had a great time, met a few boarders for the first time as well as the usual suspects. The Planet replicas SD stuff and the McMahon sculpt all looked incredible, the Future Shocks doc was well worth the wait. Shame I missed saying hi to Owen (the absentee stallholder!) and Jim Campbell. I'll post (crappy phone) pics tonight

Steve Green

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 November, 2014, 10:02:02 AM
Ah don't worry about is Foxy you where a busy man! It was lovely to talk to your missus though and she was very insightful into the production of the Journel. Maybe next year we can finaly get introduced.

Well she would be as she co-edits it ;)

Sounds like you had a lark - and actually I did see you but I was rushing past and shouted "Hawkmonger" but I think you weren't used to hearing your forumname! :D

Richmond Clements

It was my first con in a long time and I'm really glad I went.
Brilliant to catch up with everyone again. As always there were too many highlights to list them all. The FQ Christmas night out was spectacular thanks to the trusty navigation skills of 'seven minutes' Kerrin.

Just arrived back in Inverness and am having a recovery pint before heading home. Then I shall sleep.

Steve Green

Here's Strontium Boo. Thanks to Gemma and Boo for the pic.

Bolt-01

That there Westinghouse is a thing of beauty, and no mistake.

I'm finally starting to think straight after not enough sleep and too much work to do here, but TB was so much fun I can't wait for next year.

Great to see so many folks again and a few for the first time too: Hawk, Douglas, Fungus & Dodsy I'm talking about you.

The grand spectacle of the FQP christmas party was a wonder to behold and has seen the birth of a new club- the 'Five Plate Gang'- you know who you are!

Thought Bubble is IMO the finest comic convention running in the UK. Everyone is equal- creators of the biggest mainstream US titles sitting next to small press next to shops and all under the watchful eyes of the astounding red-shirts.

Highlights for me include the amazing river under the city, meeting Douglas Wolk and witnessing the astounding masculinity of Judge Jimp.

Roll on next year!