Die Hard
Demolition Man
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Real Genius
Red Heat
Sneakers

Whew.

Colin YNWA

Adding to my earlier mention of Princess Bride can I add.

Any Mad Max film
Almost any 'Planet of the Apes' film, even the rubbish ones. And yes Tim Burton you are the reason that is 'almost'.
Life Aquatic
Rushmore... well most Wez Anderson
Dodgeball
Team America
and apparently Trains Plane and Automobiles cos this happened the other day (i.e. catching it half way through and then with absolutely no intention staying until the end)
Lake Placid

Sure there's more to come...

Funt Solo

In celebration of Shark's list:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

There is no film as rewatchable as Predator. A film I will literally never tire of.

A close second for me would be Flight of Dragons, a film I must have watched about 500 times as a child and am word perfect on. See also: Animalympics.

Other films I don't think I could see too many times:
Conan (1st one), Lost Boys, Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing, Krull.. I really like King Solomons Mines although it's objectively terrible... same with Sundown The Vampire In Retreat. Romancing the Stone, The Dirty Dozen, Reanimator, Starship Troopers, Demolition Man, Bloodsport, Trading Places, Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back, Ghostbusters, The Princess Bride, Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure, Robocop, Aliens, Terminator 1 / 2, The Magnificent Seven, Die Hard, Hawk The Slayer....
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 08 January, 2021, 04:44:33 PM
...See also: Animalympics.

Bloody hell - there's a blast from the past! I now want to watch this but wonder if its best left in the mists of time. I made the mistake of re-watching The 12 Tasks of Asterix not that long ago and ... ouch...

Funt Solo

Oh, so Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a really interesting movie for me because (and don't take this personally), I just can't watch it. I've tried to, but it's just - I can't watch it.

And that's weird for me, because I love both the leads, and especially I love that era in their careers.

Also, a lot of Americans back away from UK comedy on the basis that it's too cruel - the situations the characters are put in are just too awkwardly difficult. It's why the US Office is fairly upbeat and has turned Brent into a sympathetic character. But Planes, Trains & Automobiles - that to me feels like a nightmare on film, and I always have to switch it off.

And yet it's so loved. One of those situations where I think I'm a bit broken and it's everyone else who's right.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2021, 04:46:20 PM
Bloody hell - there's a blast from the past! I now want to watch this but wonder if its best left in the mists of time. I made the mistake of re-watching The 12 Tasks of Asterix not that long ago and ... ouch...

I might have it on DVD..
My wife thinks its pants and I suspect that could be the reaction of any adult who didn't watch it a zillion times in childhood. It's not especially funny or well animated and it's hugely US-centric. But still.... Bolt Jenkins! Kurt Wuffner! Bruce Kwakimoto! Ohno Nono!

Asterix not held up then?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 08 January, 2021, 04:55:18 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2021, 04:46:20 PM

I might have it on DVD..
My wife thinks its pants and I suspect that could be the reaction of any adult who didn't watch it a zillion times in childhood. It's not especially funny or well animated and it's hugely US-centric. But still.... Bolt Jenkins! Kurt Wuffner! Bruce Kwakimoto! Ohno Nono!

Asterix not held up then?

Just watched a couple of clips on YouTube and it seems to hold up, might see if I can find it anywhere and watch it again. As you say an absolute staple from my childhood. Certainly hold up better than 12 Tasks. Alas the animation was pretty damned shocking on that one. Story is still okay.

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 January, 2021, 03:21:09 PM
Like, Schindler's List isn't on my list. Nor is Citizen Kane, or Metropolis. Even movies that I really rate but have a particularly skippable scene (say, the warg-riding goblins in Two Towers) drop it off the list. Or mood movies: I love Amelie and Glengarry Glen Ross, but I need to be in the right frame of mind to pull those off the shelf.

Yeah, it's why quality isn't an issue.  There are some great films I absolutely love and know are great, but rarely watch for one reason or another.

Tjm86

I would have to say that mood is definitely a factor in film choice.  Having said that, some of the issues here are increasingly becoming a factor in my choice of purchase vs simply watching as stream becomes available.

So for me, some of the titles I would have to throw into the mix are:

For a Few Good Men ( "YOU WANT THE TRUTH!", oh and Jack Nicholson, a Sorkin script, ...)
Top Gun (for the cabbage in all of us)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (an interesting exploration of descent into insanity?)
Last Starfighter (pure nostalgia, early CGI ...)
Silent Running (need to ask?)
Gattaca (on a whole heap of levels from cinematography, through casting, via the general underlying concept, not to mention an amazing score ...)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original, not the Reeves abomination! ... a superlative example of how SF should be done)
Tuskegee Airmen (early HBO and a cracking exploration of this aspect of racial injustice in America)
Andromeda Strain (original again, not the noughties remake .... Crichton at his best for my money ...)

Having said that, there are so many others here that I would have to agree with.

Pyroxian

In addition to nearly all of the films mentioned above:

Die Hard
Dog Soldiers
Escape From New York
Guardians of the Galaxy
Jurassic Park
Kong: Skull Island
Muppet Treasure Island
Only Lovers Left Alive
Pitch Black
Rocky Horror Picture Show
What We Do in the Shadows

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2021, 06:08:40 AM
Princess Bride

I'll be back with more later but Princess Bride is the greatest.

When my daughter's overly presumptuous, I say "Look who knows so much!" And my reading of stories to her is based heavily on what Peter Falk taught us in this movie.

The Princess Bride was a weird kind of shangri-la for me and my flatmate in late 80s Glasgow - almost every movie we rented from the local Blockbuster had an ad for The Princess Bride, but their copies were always out on rental so for months we wanted to watch it but were denied.

I also just randomly mutter "to blave" sometimes. It's such a wonderful movie.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Forgot King Kong (1933).
Chinatown.
Interview with the Vampire.
First Blood.
Snatch.
The Wild Geese.
The man who Would be King.
Zulu (I know, I know - utterly non-pc but a guilty pleasure nonetheless).
Just about every Ray Harryhausen film.

And so on...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Great to see Dredd getting a mention! God only knows how many times I've rewatched that now.

My lists are very similar to many here:
Aliens
Robocop
Empire Strikes Back
Ghostbusters
Raiders of the Lost Ark

...and also Spinal Pap, THE greatest, if you will, rockumentary of the sights, the sounds, the smells of one of the hardest working rock bands in the world.

Infinitely watchable, infinitely quotable, and a springboard for so many famous 'documentaries', including The Office. Apparently Martin Freeman and Gervais had to make a pact to stop talking about Spinal Tap, such was its influence on their filming.

repoman

Repo Man
Alien/Aliens/Alien 3/Alien Resurrection
The Thing
Fright Night
Near Dark
Terminator
Predator 2
Big Trouble in Little China
Bloodsport
Best of the Best
Demons
The Crow
30 Days of Night
Enter The Dragon
Lost Boys
Dead Man's Curve
Drive (the Mark Dacascos one)
Southern Comfort

One film that has managed to become absolute comfort viewing for me is The Thing (2011).  I know everyone hates it but for me the pacing, cast and setting are fantastic.  The effects work most of the time but yeah I get it.  I like practical effects more than CGI too.  Winstead's fantastic Ripley impression doesn't hurt either.