Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Can't this be split from this thread? It isn't on topic.

I gots stuff to say but I'm not perpetuating the HUGE off topicness of it.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Bat King on 28 December, 2015, 03:43:23 PM
Can't this be split from this thread? It isn't on topic.

I gots stuff to say but I'm not perpetuating the HUGE off topicness of it.

Please...yes....lets do that.

BTW, I'm printing Han Solo's blaster......just thought I'd say.....as it's a bit 'star wars-ey'. :D
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Professor Bear

I wouldn't try to force it.  With 138 pages of opinions on Star Wars already in the bank, I suspect we shall return to the topic at hand sooner rather than later.

Ghastly McNasty

If I may...

Apologies if covered in this thread before - the whole 'not got a plan to take down the shields' is stupid enough but to the take them down by merely holding Phasma at gunpoint while she presses a few buttons and disables them is just lazy writing.

Spikes

Everything relating to yet another Death Star was lazy writing.
Lazy writing within lazy writing.

Proudhuff

Quote from: GordonR on 28 December, 2015, 11:23:26 AM
QuoteI don't see how you find this about misogyny

QuoteSure, I've haven't had much luck with women in my life so far and I feel threatened by the ones trying to take my rightful place.

No further questions, m'lud.

Everyone else sees it; you never will.  Let's get back to Star Wars.

I'm soooo glad I found the Ignore button.  :D
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

My three boys spent ten or so hours with about ten other children (boys and girls from 3-12) having light sabre fights and blaster battles.

Therefore, despite the odd Nerf bullet to the eye, I'd say that this film is a success.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 28 December, 2015, 08:36:31 PM
My three boys spent ten or so hours with about ten other children (boys and girls from 3-12) having light sabre fights and blaster battles.

Therefore, despite the odd Nerf bullet to the eye, I'd say that this film is a success.

As far as I can tell, kids bloody love this movie. Serious question for all the thirty/forty-something nerds and former nerds with their panties in a bunch over TFA: do you really think your parents loved Star Wars when they took you to see it? Really? I think they loved the fact that you loved it. I don't think most of them even liked it, because it wasn't aimed at them... because, you know, they were grown ups.

The kids need a Star Wars film they can enjoy. Your job is to take them to the cinema, buy them the action figures, and shut the fuck up about it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 December, 2015, 10:05:20 PM

As far as I can tell, kids bloody love this movie. Serious question for all the thirty/forty-something nerds and former nerds with their panties in a bunch over TFA: do you really think your parents loved Star Wars when they took you to see it? Really? I think they loved the fact that you loved it. I don't think most of them even liked it, because it wasn't aimed at them... because, you know, they were grown ups.

The kids need a Star Wars film they can enjoy. Your job is to take them to the cinema, buy them the action figures, and shut the fuck up about it.

Cheers

Jim

This.

I'm no fan of Star Wars - didn't watch them until they rerealeased them in 199whenever.  Took my 10 year old to see this and he loved it. 

Now the only thing I thought was a bit groan worthy was [spoiler]having another Death star style threat.  They have to rescue Rey, so there really is no need for them to repeat themselves for a third time (ignoring any prequel DS action that I might not be aware of)

You could argue that Jim's very good point about this being the film for today's kids gives them all the excuse they need to give them their own DS moment, though today's kids are already steeped in the originals, so hmmm... benefit of the doubt (but it having it 'just' a First Order stronghold would have reduced a few plot stretches a bit)[/spoiler].

Bat King

Cheers

Jim

My Dad loved it, we were his excuse to go. My Mum loved it cos we loved it.

Me. I love this one too. Cos I'm guilty of being Forty-Something nerd.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

My Mum loved Star Wars. She still goes on about it at 73. She didn't enjoy Empire and subsequent, stating them to be 'too dark'. My Father-in-Law loved them, and saw TFA with his sister and their spouses (all about 68) on opening day. And for the 'women don't get it' camp, my wife has been a fan since '77.  S'one of the many reasons I love her.

The kids (daughter 6 and son 9) enjoyed TFA, but the son still prefers 'his' Star Wars, that is, the Clone Wars, to the point that he insists on calling TFA 'Episode VIII', and while my daughter didn't like that Princess Leia got old (she thought Rey should have been Leia), her great love for Chewie saw her through.  We still haven't made it to a second viewing, mainly due to it being my baby brother's wedding today, and my other brother and his kids being home from Oz. But we will.

All the nonsense I spout is in my own head, for me Star Wars is a world more than any one movie, and that's how I approach it. I acknowledge the success of this movie, but still prefer TPM. This one is 5th best, for now, but the more I read into the supporting media, the more I like it.

sheridan

As of today I've seen it twice, made me feel like an eight year old now.  And there's even new Marvel Star Wars comics and a series of Judge Dredd reprints being released (it was the Return of the Jedi UK, plus Eagle Comics Dredd reprints with Bolland covers when I was young).

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Bat King on 28 December, 2015, 11:01:47 PM

Cheers

Jim

My Dad loved it, we were his excuse to go. My Mum loved it cos we loved it.

Me. I love this one too. Cos I'm guilty of being Forty-Something nerd.

I would echo this. Age has nothing to do with it. My father had two kids by the time the original trilogy played out. I didn't stand a chance, my father indoctrinated me into Star Wars. I was his excuse to buy toys.

I am a Jedi Star Wars Fan, like my father before me.

I do get the point you're making Jim, but saying it's for kids is how George tried to justify Jar Jar Binks. Star Wars has never been a kids show for me, it has always been family entertainment. Both my sister and brother-in-law are debating over how soon they should expose my 3 year nephew to the series.

I would adjust your sentiment to say lonely 30/40-something nerds.
You may quote me on that.

Spikes

Isn't TFA, at least in part, aimed at those original fans from '77?
Pretty sure all that sales pitch about practical sets etc wasn't aimed at 8 year olds.

Colin YNWA

I had opted out of this 'cos I was being all to negative BUT as I'm one of those with my knickers well and truly twisted I thought it fair to say regardless of who its aimed at (and I'm really glad that kids like it cos they bloody well should) doesn't invalidate any issues folk have (and when I say folk I of course mean me!) with it having many problems as its objectively very flawed. I watch many (far too many!) kids films these days and they still stand up to a 43 year olds ability to determine a good movie, or story more to the point, from a bad one regardless of its target and TFA is a bad one.

My kids will have a completely different set of criteria and thank the maker they do. I'd have been much happier if it'd felt like it was made for a whole new generation of fans, but one of my two main issues with it is that its too full of stuff that seems aimed at a 43 year old fan of the originals and doesn't have the courage to be its own thing.

Its also worth noting that kids who see this will very often already have their own Death Star moment (well two of um) as they'll have seen the originals too as well.

Mind since the original did it so well and clearly trapped far too many fans into a life long emotional struggle with anything in the series that followed maybe giving a new generation its own cinematic heroin based on the old recipe is a very smart move!