Main Menu

#SPOILERS# BBC War of the Worlds…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 17 November, 2019, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Having read Jim's review,: no Thunderchild!? One of the few scenes that that get me bubbling regardless of the adaptation. I'm out, not going to bother with two and three.
DDT did a job on me

shaolin_monkey

I'm sorry, but i enjoyed that. Yes, even the future bits. Looking forward to the last one.

Tiplodocus

I'm actually enjoying it but there is a sort of cheapness to it (especially in the red future scenes and in watching it after the lush His Dark Materials).

We got more Navy vs. Tripods than I thought we would from descriptions above so I liked that.

I also like the back story/situation for our leads; it's forty years since I read the book so struggle to remember if it is expanded from our nameless narrator.

The "Number 1 gun!" scene just looked cheap regardless of whether faithful adaption or not.

But I think they fluffed the appearance[spoiler] of the Martians. Trying for an Exorcist III moment and failing[/spoiler].
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

I have to say, I'm enjoying it (probably more than Dark Materials if I'm honest, althought this week's episode of the latter was very good). I've never read the book, so am only really familiar with the story through the other film adaptations and a passing familiarity with the Jeff Wayne album from childhood.
You can see they're working on a budget but the sets are pretty good and I quite like the tripod design (can't help but think the lights should be red rather than blue though). The heat ray effect is excellent - quite subtle but very effective.

Tiplodocus

That last episode was spectacularly dull.

Eleanor Tomlinson is a handsome woman but even the last ten minutes of extreme close up as she monologues didn't work for me.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

TBH it is staggering that the BBC has managed to make it so dull.

Some of the media complaining about how 'woke' it is .... I'm struggling to pay attention long enough to be aware of this problem.

How on earth have they managed an adaptation that makes the Tom Cruise adaptation something to remember wistfully?

JamesC

Overall I quite enjoyed it but it certainly peterred out towards the end. The last ten minutes were very dull but I quite liked the bits with the aliens.
I glad I watched it - I think there was a fair bit to like - but it does feel a bit of a missed opportunity.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 December, 2019, 06:13:09 AM

Some of the media complaining about how 'woke' it is ....

Explain 'woke' please?
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 December, 2019, 11:22:16 AM
Explain 'woke' please?
It's what you called "right on" in the 80s.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 December, 2019, 11:22:16 AM

Explain 'woke' please?

It's from that bit in the Matrix where Keanu "wakes up" and sees the world for what it really is rather than the MIND PRISON created to hold us, maaaaan.

It's a term conservatives use to mock the casting/presence of non-whites, LGBTQ or women in media roles that would have traditionally been occupied by a straight white male.  Basically if they see a black person in a period drama, they shit their nappy and start screaming about "SJWs" (Social Justice Warriors) taking over and ruining everything.
It's also worth mentioning that it's actually an antisemitic conspiracy theory about intellectuals (Jews) using political correctness to eliminate white Western culture piece by piece and gradually replace it with their own elitist (Jewish) culture.  Arguably conservatives aren't even trying to code it particularly well when they identify their enemy as "the SJWs".

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 December, 2019, 11:43:57 PM
Can't say I didn't warn you. Sorry!

You did. But it's big science fiction on telly so I'm genetically pre-disposed to watch it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 December, 2019, 01:47:19 PM
You did. But it's big science fiction on telly so I'm genetically pre-disposed to watch it.

To be fair, I sat through the whole fucking thing hoping it would get better... :-)

Jim_Campbell

I can't remember who pointed it out, but amongst the fairly tone-deaf bits:

"What about the maid?"

"Oh, she's probably dead. Let's leg it."

"WAIT! WE MUST GO BACK FOR THE DOG!"

ABCwarBOT

Well I was pretty much enjoying the first 2 episodes even though there was obviously changes.   I didn't find it dull either.  The lack of the Thunderchild was bloody disappointing though but I thought at least we did at least see some ships firing and hitting a tripod.  And the beach scene did still have some good bits.

I also thought the bit with the black smoke was really good and eerie.   

I even liked the 3 legged Martian scenes..............but time was moving on and I was wondering.....just when the fook are we going to see tripods torching London?   Where's the epic scenes of London being destroyed?   Where, where, where???

Then of course as we all know now what we got instead was some annoying flash forward bits one fallen tripod (which could hardly be seen) and George's bit on the side smashing graves and ending up on a cliffs edge.   

There's some real twats at the BBC but was it Harness who decided to end it like that or did someone order him to make it like that?   The mind boggles.