Main Menu

Rare Interview With Legend Ian Gibson

Started by Frank, 02 February, 2017, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I've never heard an interview with Ian Gibson before; now I know why. He doesn't feel the need to be diplomatic about anything or anyone. One former Tharg is a waste of oxygen and even Darth Vader feels the sharp end of Gibson's tongue.

His early life is so Sixties it sounds like Austin Powers' biography - he dropped out of art school to teach himself sitar! His apprenticeship under Blas Galego, walking out on Samantha Slade, and rewriting X-Men all make for great stories, explaining his character and his career.

Gibson puts forward a very different version of Halo Jones's creation than most of us would imagine, claiming the central theme and whole way the first book was told were his ideas, and that he and Moore tried to take the strip to French publishers after the latter grew to despise Tharg.

For all the fun had, Gibson's explanation of why we'll never see more comics from him again is heartbreaking. Essential listening:

PlayerFM

iTunes

ecbt2000ad

Eme

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 02 February, 2017, 11:00:45 PM
For all the fun had, Gibson's explanation of why we'll never see more comics from him again is heartbreaking. Essential listening:
I don't listen to podcasts (or talk radio) so feel free to share!
We never really die.

Tony Angelino

Can't wait to listen to this.

I loved his early work on Dredd. The image of Dredd on the front of the Case Files volume 1 is great. At some point his art became more 'comical' though and the way he drew the helmet in particular changed drastically.

I know they get slated on here at times but the first two Robo Hunter stories (Verdus and Day of the Droids) are also two of my favourite comic stories. Didn't he base Sam Slade on Ted Danson?

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 03 February, 2017, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: Frank on 02 February, 2017, 11:00:45 PM
For all the fun had, Gibson's explanation of why we'll never see more comics from him again is heartbreaking. Essential listening

I don't listen to podcasts (or talk radio) so feel free to share!

I don't want to put my gloss on it, so I'll just transcribe Gibson's own words:

QuoteHaving been declared bankrupt, I'm now living on a pension. Because of the distress caused by the bankruptcy, I've developed a very shaky hand. So I can't do stuff to a schedule anymore. I can't work commercially because I don't know from one day to the next whether I'll be able to draw or not.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Tony Angelino

Great interview. Its refreshing to hear someone speaking their mind but its also a pity that some things aren't going so well for him at present.

Can't wait for the next part.

Old Tankie

JOE SOAP

Due to whatever circumstances, it's a bloody shame some of the best creators are ending up with so little in their latter days.

Richard

Maybe Tharg can give him some one-off thrills to do which don't need a deadline so he can just turn in the work when it's ready and not have to stress about it?

GordonR

Quote from: Richard on 05 February, 2017, 07:04:20 PM
Maybe Tharg can give him some one-off thrills to do which don't need a deadline so he can just turn in the work when it's ready and not have to stress about it?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/21/halo-jones-topless-row-ian-gibson

Chips. Pissed on.

Richard

norton canes

It doesn't look much like her though, does it. It really doesn't.

(I'm assuming that in the interests of verisimilitude you have all Googled the image in question?)

Tony Angelino

I don't get the big fuss about that picture and I think its a shame that there is a 'disconnect' between him and Rebellion.

I'm not a big Halo Jones fan though and think its over-rated (and a bit dull at times). If someone else had drawn it I don't think it would have worked half as well as it did. 

I'm a bit critical of Alan Moore's work on 2000AD though. I didn't enjoy Skizz either. I think his best works in the prog were either D.R. and Quinch or the Future Shocks.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 05 February, 2017, 07:04:20 PM

Listening to the interview suggests too much water has passed under that bridge, Gibson's burnt the bridge, and he's called the ferryman a talentless c___ too.

Gibson comes across as a fantastic character, but maybe a difficult one too - like your grandad, who doesn't give a shit what he says to anyone and bugger the consequences.

All that said, if Tharg's going to include one Robohunter or Ace Trucking story in every Summer Special or Christmas Prog, it'd be a shame not to see if Gibson could draw one.