Main Menu

2000ad portfolio comp - thoughtbubble

Started by antodonnell, 13 August, 2012, 08:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTurner

Jon - In the first flashback frame, did you create the buildings by scanning a scalpel blade and handle and putting on an overlay?

Fantastic effect if you did - I now know how to create an instant cityscape!

Jon

Quote from: Alex on 08 November, 2012, 12:49:55 PM
Looking very good. Good luck for the event.
I know I would baulk at doing a stand up presentation (if that is the way it's done) Couple of stiff drinks might get me through.

Gah, is it? Hope not.

I've done some speaking/ presentations in universities and similar, so I suppose it's not the end of the world if that's the case. I once presented to a story-boarding course before realising halfway through that Dave McKean was sat at the rear of the room. Just about got away with it.

Anyway, it's all a bit of fun, innit? Fulfilling a childhood ambition and all that.

Quote from: JTurner on 08 November, 2012, 02:31:04 PM
Jon - In the first flashback frame, did you create the buildings by scanning a scalpel blade and handle and putting on an overlay?

Fantastic effect if you did - I now know how to create an instant cityscape!

:)

Ha!

No.

I wish I planned anything that well. I had this idea that I was going to do everything in a very heavy black ink style with colour washes. Was gonna work it all out beforehand. Then I got sidetracked looking at some concept art, and this just kind of came out.

The city is the result of the way I seem to end up doing everything, sadly; scribbling wildly and then trying desperately to pull back form. The "decision" to work that way was largely because it's scalable. Mre time = a more polished image, but at least you have something to start with.

My terrible working process can be seen here; https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.168391459916627.45182.105679529521154&type=3

CLOUDMAN

Quote from: Jon on 08 November, 2012, 11:51:37 AM
Thank you both. The encouragement I've had on this has been amazing, both here and over on my FB page.

No problem! Dig your process on the FB page too!

QuoteWow! I thought I could knock stuff out quickly, but if you manage to pull off such a Dillon-esque feat I'd dearly love to see it. Amazing!

Yeah I'd surprise myself to be honest. But I won't be doing a fully-painted style like you, and I've been (sneakily) roughing thumbs and ideas out during work the last week so who knows...

antodonnell

Sweet, good to see some of the entries for this. Solid job with the colours Jon, can't wait to see more.

My entry got paused at the refined thumbs stage which kills me but overtime at work and a due Masters Degree module come first I guess :(

I hope thoughtbubble and 2000ad do the same next year also so I can have a shot.

MenschMaschine

Quote from: RossBam on 06 November, 2012, 05:46:02 PM
It's the usual story of getting 100 artists to draw 100 horse. You get 100 different horses but they're all horses :)

Well true,would be great so see more of these "horses" after the Con.
Great colour schemes on that page Jon. :thumbsup:

MenschMaschine

A last glimpse before Leeds.See ya there folks.

Jon

Bruno, it was good to meet you briefly at the end there!

In the post-adrenal come down of the the portfolio comp I thought I'd put my pages up for posterity. As we only got to see the one page of each strip on the screen in the actual review, I thought it might be nice for everyone (on here at least) to reveal their hand now - if only to make sense of what the panel were saying in some cases.

Batdan4ever

Wow, everyone has submitted some amazing work for this, well done everyone!

I didnt get to go on the Sunday so don't know who won, does anyone know where we can see the winning entry?

Saturday was great. It was really interesting seeing how everyone had tackled the script and given their own spin on it. Peter Doherty was really generous with his time and spoke to a bunch of us for a while, giving us tips which was brilliant. Matt gave me some really constructive advice which was much appreciated.

I wasn't totally happy with my submission but I did learn a lot by doing it so it was a really positive experience, I hope they do a comp next year.

Anyway, here's the first page of my entry. I hope everyone else posts their stuff too, I saw some amazing work at TB!
Cheers
Dan

Jon

Quote from: Batdan4ever on 21 November, 2012, 08:41:59 AM

I didnt get to go on the Sunday so don't know who won, does anyone know where we can see the winning entry?

I don't know if his entry is up anywhere, but this chap won; http://whmorris.blogspot.co.uk/

Batdan4ever

ah, thanks Jon! I hope we get to see his pages, he's got a lovely style. Well done to Will!

Did you get through as a finalist Jon? I hope so, those pages are bloody fantastic!

Jon

Thank you.

Yeah, I did. I think it was always very much a two-horse race though. :)

antodonnell

Nice work all, I was unaware of Wills work. Really interesting still I like it a lot.

Thanks for posting the pages Jon, the work reminds me a lot of 90's 2000AD. That's a good thing :)
The main thing that I noticed was the slightly stiff gestures, if these were improved and the drawings had more dynamism and "life" it would be great.

I better start doodling for next year.

Jon

Quote from: antodonnell on 21 November, 2012, 07:23:27 PM
The main thing that I noticed was the slightly stiff gestures,

Yeah, absolutely! Too eager to get going, not enough thought and planning. Poor panels and compositions too, and a lack of POV variety.

Luckily I'm a firm believer in learning the hard way.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it a lot.