Main Menu

'Fear the walking dead' - Whats the verdict so far?

Started by Michael Knight, 07 March, 2017, 05:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 July, 2019, 10:21:30 AM
Mid season finale and another major character carks it. First mis-step for me, just didn't like the way it was all done in flashback. But given the pervasive theme of story telling and truth, there is still room for this idealised heroic death to be subverted in some way.

We are now left with a gang who have all, at one point, flip-flopped either side of the "all people are worthless/We must save all people" line.

So that basically means any episode can go any way depending on how writers feel.

I do like the western influences though. And the clear divide between colourful past and grey, washed out present.

Just out of interest (this won't be spoilers for you but for the sake of others), [spoiler]Madison[/spoiler] was killed off by the writers but [spoiler]Nick[/spoiler] was written out as per the actor's request. I seem to recall something about not liking the direction the show was taking in season 4 but I could be mixing that up with fan speculation.

I think my biggest problem with season 4 up until then was that the time-jump to allow Morgan to crossover completely killed the season 3 finale, for me. Ended with such drama and peril and then just skips forward a year to everyone being fine and dandy, so the timelines would align. I still enjoyed it (for one, the show looked effing BEAUTIFUL, every single shot was great) but the second half of this season adds a bunch of characters I could not care less about.

MacabreMagpie

A recommendation for any podcast listeners, I enjoy keeping up with both shows via 'The Talking Dead'. No, not the ABC show, these guys had the name first, but it's a fun listen. They're covering Fear at the moment and I've been listening to their recaps rather than watching.

Proudhuff

AMC had the Fear the Talking Dead for a while which I enjoyed, never normally watch stuff like that...miss it a bit now they don't carry it...must be getting soft in my old age.

QuoteI still enjoyed it (for one, the show looked effing BEAUTIFUL, every single shot was great) but the second half of this season adds a bunch of characters I could not care less about.

This ^^^
DDT did a job on me

shaolin_monkey

The third series when dude with stick turns up was quite good, but the last couple of episodes were massively rushed, with lots of stuff happening off camera that gets handwaved away, such as when dude with stick *spoiler* [spoiler]rocks up with a truck full of beer to save everyone from anti-freeze poisoning.  [/spoiler]

I mean, I know I should be suspending my disbelief a bit (it's a show about zombies FFS) but COME ON!

MacabreMagpie

Are you still watching, Tiplodocus? I've been looking forward to hearing your thoughts on season 4B.

Tiplodocus

Finally made it to the end of Season 4.

Second half of Season definitely lesser than the first half.

The storm idea was good but ultimately poorly executed and I'm not sold on the new new characters (If "I like making beer" can even be described as character).

But the main thing that hamstrung it was a very poor villain and the hoops they had to make characters jump through to not just kill her on the spot. Does a zombie show even need a villain? Maybe you aren't writing Zombies right if you need to add villains rather than environment and situations and maybe other communities odds with your main group.

The final poison jeopardy was also fucking stupid and I don't think the actors, directing or pacing sold it as a life or death situation. But I really liked the final coda and set up.

But not enough to pay for it so it could be a while before I get to Season 5.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

MacabreMagpie

I must admit, I haven't even bothered to watch season 5. I'm amazed it's been renewed for a 6th, in honesty. I have an idea of what's been going on because a TWD podcast I listen to covers it episode-by-episode but even they have said they're not going to anymore after this season.

If I put my conspiracy theory hat on, I almost feel like they tanked the show on purpose because there really was a period when people were saying it was better than the main show. Now, I would say the main show (as of the last season) is back to being the far superior one.

There is another spin-off coming, aimed at young adult audiences, but I probably won't watch if only for the fact I'm not the target audience.

Colin YNWA

So here's a question that might as well go here as any of the other Walking Dead telly threads. So adding a few things to my Amazon Prime watch list and remembered they have Walking Dead on there. So my question should I pick up regular Walking Dead from Season 8 - I dropped off at Season 7 only 'cos the DVDs ran out and then LoveFilm died, I've always found it okay fun, if not classic telly. OR should I pick up Fear of the Walking Dead... which do folks think is better?

...or I guess the third way is just to move onto something else entirely, watch Deadset again which I've been meaning to do, watch a few old Schlock Zombie movies I've seen hangin around Prime for my Zombie fix and invest my time into some of the 'better' telly that's been recommended and is hanging around my watch list like a bad smell!

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 April, 2020, 12:14:55 PM
So here's a question that might as well go here as any of the other Walking Dead telly threads. So adding a few things to my Amazon Prime watch list and remembered they have Walking Dead on there. So my question should I pick up regular Walking Dead from Season 8 - I dropped off at Season 7 only 'cos the DVDs ran out and then LoveFilm died, I've always found it okay fun, if not classic telly. OR should I pick up Fear of the Walking Dead... which do folks think is better?

...or I guess the third way is just to move onto something else entirely, watch Deadset again which I've been meaning to do, watch a few old Schlock Zombie movies I've seen hangin around Prime for my Zombie fix and invest my time into some of the 'better' telly that's been recommended and is hanging around my watch list like a bad smell!

My view is that there is a period where Fear... is better than the main show but that's long behind us now. I'd recommend giving the first 3 seasons of that a watch (or just season 3 at a push), but I'd say going back to the main show makes more sense in your scenario as seasons 9 and 10 are an improvement.

Professor Bear

I gave up on The Walking Dead near the end of the sixth season, but I've stuck with Fear.  I think when it jettisons a number of the regular cast in various ways, that was a make or break moment for longtime watchers, but some of the new additions are good - I mean, who doesn't like to see a twitchy Matt Frewer?  I quite like the themed title cards, too.

MacabreMagpie

Fear... has always been beautiful to look at, even more since the 4th season. But I just have zero interest in any of the new characters (and they even managed to kill my interest in the two characters that crossed over from the main show) so have no reason to watch. If I liked the new additions I'm sure I'd feel differently.

I don't know if it's the still the case, but one of Fear's strengths, I've always felt, is unique locations. One of the reasons I got bored with TWD around seasons 6-8 was because I was sick of the sight of the same places all the time but Fear has a real variety, particularly in season 3.

Trooper McFad

I've started season 4 of Fear after giving up after season 2 and rather surprising I'm enjoying it. Maybe because I'm not comparing it all the time with the books as with TWD. This particular season reminds me of when TWD were kicked out of the prison and their journey to Alexandria.
I'm half way through and hope the 2nd half can keep it up 🤞🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

MacabreMagpie

You didn't skip season 3 though, did you? That's the best one!

Trooper McFad

Yep I did skip season 3 😳might have to go back and catch up then
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Woolly

Just watch Day of the Dead, then move on. Nothing from the Walking Dead, or it's spin offs, get anywhere near close.