Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 March, 2015, 09:58:02 PM
Quote from: Grugz on 17 March, 2015, 05:14:05 PM
my gears grind my gears, after dusting off the pushbike after a year in hibernation I remembered the gears are crap, probably my technical ineptitude as its a nordend mountain bike, I don't need all those gears and the handle bar mounted changer is annoying it keeps slipping and chucking me in the wrong gear wich is annoying going up hill when it suddenly becomes impossible to pedal or on a flat when I suddenly go into hill climb gear causing me to nearly come off due to foot slippage.

If you replace your chain, it may work better. You may have to replace the derailleurs (gears) too, maybe front or back. Depends how much wear. But replacing your chain will keep wear and tear on the rest down to a minimum... as will cleaning it after use or oiling it up before you start out after hibernation.

Still I am one to talk I never get around to doing this myself due to lazyness :)

cheers for that, I did enquire about downgrading the entire system but all the shops I spoke to didn't recommend it as the Tesco bike I have just aint worth the expense ...i'll just have to walk up hills until I get the strength and stamina built up again.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Theblazeuk

Try not to 'cross' the gears (like Ghostbusters, don't cross the beams). So if you are in your largest front cog, don't be in the smallest rear cog and vice versa.

That can help a little.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Grugz on 18 March, 2015, 09:15:30 AM
cheers for that, I did enquire about downgrading the entire system but all the shops I spoke to didn't recommend it as the Tesco bike I have just aint worth the expense ...i'll just have to walk up hills until I get the strength and stamina built up again.
It's a bit late now but, in general, cheap bikes bought from the supermarket or whatever aren't worth the money you save on them. Cheap components wear out and decent replacements either aren't available or are such a significant proportion of the initial cost of the bike it puts people off altogether.
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

Ducks are starting to grind my gears. I never used to pay them much attention, thinking they were just cute, waddling birds. Living on the boat, however, has taught me they are horrid creatures interested only in scraps of stale bread and gang-rape.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 March, 2015, 01:00:29 PM
Ducks are starting to grind my gears. I never used to pay them much attention, thinking they were just cute, waddling birds. Living on the boat, however, has taught me they are horrid creatures interested only in scraps of stale bread and gang-rape.

There's always time for one more airing of this.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Albion

People who walk down the street playing music on their phones.
Why do you assume the rest of the world wants to hear what you like listening to?
Get some drokking headphones! >:(
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Link Prime

Quote from: Albion on 18 March, 2015, 01:23:36 PM
People who walk down the street playing music on their phones.
Why do you assume the rest of the world wants to hear what you like listening to?
Get some drokking headphones! >:(

Annoying alright, but sure it's normally just teenagers, and they'd likely annoy us over something else anyway!

I jog the same circuit near my home on a regular basis, and often bump into a charming old man, 75+ years old, out walking the same circuit while carrying a large-ish radio in his hand and listening to RTE Radio 1 on full blast.
I've never been able to muster anything less than a hello and a smile for him.

sheridan

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 March, 2015, 09:58:02 PM
Quote from: Grugz on 17 March, 2015, 05:14:05 PM
my gears grind my gears, after dusting off the pushbike after a year in hibernation I remembered the gears are crap, probably my technical ineptitude as its a nordend mountain bike, I don't need all those gears and the handle bar mounted changer is annoying it keeps slipping and chucking me in the wrong gear wich is annoying going up hill when it suddenly becomes impossible to pedal or on a flat when I suddenly go into hill climb gear causing me to nearly come off due to foot slippage.

If you replace your chain, it may work better. You may have to replace the derailleurs (gears) too, maybe front or back. Depends how much wear. But replacing your chain will keep wear and tear on the rest down to a minimum... as will cleaning it after use or oiling it up before you start out after hibernation.

Still I am one to talk I never get around to doing this myself due to lazyness :)

Pro tip: use old toothbrushes for cleaning chains (I never throw a toothbrush away - well, not until it's covered in grease, grit and oil).

Richmond Clements

Quote(I never throw a toothbrush away - well, not until it's covered in grease, grit and oil).

And then you start using it on your bike, right?

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

NapalmKev

My Workplace is starting to grind my gears.

My section accounts for around 80% of our total sales but we still need to do more!

What a Fucking crock of Shit!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

That's sales for you. This quarter's shining sceptre of success is next quarter's shitty stick to beat you with. More, more, MORE!

Hawkmumbler

Pretty much why I hate working in retail.

Hawkmumbler

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion weather you like it or not".

Yes, but if that opinion is Daily Mail level stupid based on self fulfilling lies and vitriol created by the opposing party in the first place, then that is not an opinion it's you being an arse hole.

Theblazeuk

The only true response:

"Yep, and in my opinion you're a ****."