Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 February, 2016, 08:18:04 PM
I've had a sparrow-hawk in my garden TWICE in the four years since we moved here. Until you've experienced proximity to a creature evolution has told: "No, that's it... you're pretty much spot on" it's hard to articulate what being that close to nature to nature really feels like.

They are magnificent beasts, aren't they? I see one on a regular basis in, or more often bombing through, our garden. It even does some plucking - our cat surprised it (well, more the other way round) as it was dealing with a pigeon. The Sparrowhawk has even fwooshed about a foot over my head once - incredible! I live in a town centre too in a terraced house, but there's no access to the gardens except through the houses, so it's a bit of a clear run and reasonably safe for common wildlife (bats and hedgehogs too). Unfortunately, the town itself is a bit of a shithole, and full of bell ends.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Hawkmumbler

Funny little tit bit, Sparrowhawk remains can be found in Piacenzian deposits in north eastern Englnad, the exact same species as can be found nation wide today. So when Jim say's "Feck it, your pretty much perfect" bare in mind this one predatory avid has remained completely unchanged for nearly 2 million years. Hows that for milage?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mikey on 28 February, 2016, 12:20:32 PM
They are magnificent beasts, aren't they?

Oh, yes. The first time, I was washing up at the kitchen sink, looked up and became aware that several birds in the garden were completely motionless and then the penny dropped: there was a sparrowhawk methodically dismantling a sparrow as it sat on the back fence.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

I think I mentioned on here at the time but I once saw a Peregrine Falcon take a pigeon on my way home from work in Norwich.
We had (and still do I think) a nesting pair on the Cathedral. Anyway, I was on a residential street very close to the city centre when I saw something fall to the ground out of the corner of my eye. The falcon was mantling the pigeon by the kerbside. I was about to take a photo on my phone when a kid came around the corner on a bike and scared the falcon off. Incredibly the pigeon was still alive and though it looked a bit shell shocked and was surrounded by a ring of shed feathers it flew away.
Lucky for the pigeon but not good news for the falcon. They use a great deal of energy on the hunt, particularly while hunting for the chicks too and can't sustain too many failed kills.

shaolin_monkey

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Mikey on 28 February, 2016, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 February, 2016, 08:18:04 PM
I've had a sparrow-hawk in my garden TWICE in the four years since we moved here. Until you've experienced proximity to a creature evolution has told: "No, that's it... you're pretty much spot on" it's hard to articulate what being that close to nature to nature really feels like.

They are magnificent beasts, aren't they? I see one on a regular basis in, or more often bombing through, our garden. It even does some plucking - our cat surprised it (well, more the other way round) as it was dealing with a pigeon. The Sparrowhawk has even fwooshed about a foot over my head once - incredible! I live in a town centre too in a terraced house, but there's no access to the gardens except through the houses, so it's a bit of a clear run and reasonably safe for common wildlife (bats and hedgehogs too). Unfortunately, the town itself is a bit of a shithole, and full of bell ends.

Somebody here called me a Bellend once, but I think that meant it in a good way. Like a endearment.

JayzusB.Christ

My last tuppenceworth on why I prefer smaller towns -

I like drifting along the river or canal in my (battery-powered, inflatable) boat, mooring occasionally for a bite to eat or a bottle of beer.
I also like picking wild garlic and cooking it in a meal, or picking sloes to put in gin.  I like gathering my own holly at Christmas, and wood to light a fire in winter.
I enjoy a quiet beer garden on a nice day.

There are things I like about the city, but all of the above are among my favourite things in the world and are very hard to do there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

When I lived in Nottingham, I lived in Forest Fields -- one of the city's most heavily Asian/Indian-populated areas. I miss the samosas. I VERY MUCH miss the samosas.

Cheers!

Jim

SuperSurfer

Journalists who can't write to save their lives. Who litter their articles with typos and unfinished sentences, who go into detail without any introduction, leave gaps in their text which they indicate with asterisks as they can't be bothered to find out missing info, who can't be arsed to check the names of people they refer to so supply some without first names.

And then get arsey when I point out their text was not ready to use as supplied!

FFS!

DaveGYNWA

Being asked to study training material for a new product and being told "Oh, it shouldn't take long....about 3 hours" and then looking at the training material to see that it is all video based, and totals to just shy of 24 hours of content.

The person who told me '3 hours' is now fully aware that this won't be finished by the end of today as requested.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 04 March, 2016, 11:48:46 AM
Being asked to study training material for a new product and being told "Oh, it shouldn't take long....about 3 hours" and then looking at the training material to see that it is all video based, and totals to just shy of 24 hours of content.

Add to the gear-grinding — the ever-increasing insistence on linking to/providing video in order to convey information that I could extract in a fraction of the time from boring, old-fashioned text.

Bah!

Jim

Mikey

This came to mind yesterday - people who don't know the difference between a number or letter sequence. I did some fieldwork involving numerous sample sites that had letter codes, and they constantly referred sites as 'number AE etc'

Give. Me. Fucking. Strength.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

ming

Quote from: Mikey on 04 March, 2016, 12:45:44 PM
This came to mind yesterday - people who don't know the difference between a number or letter sequence. I did some fieldwork involving numerous sample sites that had letter codes, and they constantly referred sites as 'number AE etc'

Give. Me. Fucking. Strength.

Just ask them to pick a number between A and D...  :lol:

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 04 March, 2016, 12:45:44 PM
... they constantly referred sites as 'number AE etc'

That's just Site Number 174, innit?

JayzusB.Christ

I have no idea what you're all talking about  :(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"