Main Menu

....NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 30/4/05, EPISODE 6, DALEK...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 30 April, 2005, 12:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAWilkinson

WHY-DO-YOU-PLAY-THAT-SONG-SO-LOUD?

BEC-AUSE-WE-WANT-TO!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Trout

EX-TER-MI-NATE

EX-CEPT FOR GIN-GERS

LET'S GET MARR-IED

...Anyway...

I really enjoyed the Dalek episode, although I thought they overdid the "humanising" aspect just a tiny bit. That's just IMO and wasn't a big deal.

Is this the first Doctor to foam at the mouth in the middle of a massive rant? :-)

Truly fantastic television!

- Trout

Richmond Clements

Banners

Bah! Everyone I spoke to about this seems to disagree with me, calling it the best episode of the setries, if not ever. What next - self-help sessions for Stormtroopers?

"Well, there I was running down the corridor after Han Solo, and we went past a window. And it just struck me how beautiful space is. And I thought, forget Darth Vader - I just want to crochet!"

M@

Dunk!

I'm agreeing with you M@.

I watched in dread for the moment when the Dalek would ask Rose 'What is this thing that you call love?'

And after all the great under-used background aliens in the second episode a Dalek is controlled by sugary porridge with a barely blinking eye - grief.

Disappointed Tulkas.
"Trust we"

Tiplodocus

Well, I quite enjoyed that but I think it was a mistake "humanizing" the Daleks so early on in what is, effectively for a lot of viewers, a new series with all new monsters.

Tiny Tips said it best when we caught a bit of the repeat on Sunday night "The dalek loves the girl so he will not shoot her". This made me think; "Yeah, this is a bit gooey".

But I did like all sorts of things about the episode:
- Eccleston stopped grinning for most of it
- a lone Dalek was a very good threat and it was a good way to show how evil they are
- the delek's new tricks were all pretty good
- Eccleston being more Dalek than the Dalek. I know it's an old trick turning one of your human protaganists into a ruthless killing machine when faced with their nemesis (see Terminator 2 etc.) but I think it was done rather well.  
- Hey I even liked the final destruction - the way it wrapped itself in a forcefield to destroy itself so nothing else got harmed.

Don't you just hate the American accents in these shows though. They just never sound natural and relaxed (even though, I'll bet, some of the actors were wales based Americans).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

gnilleps

IIRC Van Statten's female assistant was the only non-American American in it. But I'm not sure where I got that from...

WoD

my tuppence worth...

I loved the use of the Dalek's design features and incorporating them into the technology the Dalek used.  For example, the 'bumps' on the dalek; I'd always they were just for show, but it makes sense for them to have a function; also the small vertical bars on the bottom of the upper half of the Dalek - these could be part of the defence shield generator. It was also nice to see the 'sucker' used in a practical way (not just sucking the guys face, but also to interface with the computer system).

As for the Dalek episodes set in the future, we don't know when the time war takes place (and as it's a 'time war' could its effects alter the time-line?).  But the Doctor did say that this Dalek had been thrown back in time.  But, aren't Daleks supposed to be around now (didn't all the previous Doctors encounter them on earth in the near-past)?  Maybe the effect of the time-war was to wipeout the Daleks and the time-lords (excluding the Doctor) from the current time-line.

I'm guessing that in a future episode, we'll see the the time lords brought back, with the unwelcome result of returning the Daleks as well.

LARF

Well I thought it was fecking excellent, bring on Darius and the rest of the Daleks!

longmanshort

Don't you just hate the American accents in these shows though

The guy playing Van Staten is called COREY JOHNSON and is actually American. He not only appeared in Hellboy, but I also saw him in an excellent production of A View from the Bridge at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and having chatted to him afterwards, I can confirm that the accent is genuine.

but you're right, everyone else's Yank accents were pap.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Noisybast

Darius?http://www.mattnicholson.myby.co.uk/darius.jpg">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

LARF

LOL! wondered if some bright spark would spot it...

+HIT      ME     BABY    ONE,    MORE  TIME!!!!!+

Oddboy

Don't suppose anyone taped last week's Dr Who did they? I missed it & our sodding NTL cable won't show us BBC3 at the moment so we couldn't catch the repeat.

Anyone mind lending us the tape?

:)
Better set your phaser to stun.

wrighty47

As far as i'm aware, that's exactly it. The Time-War wiped out both the Time-Lords and Daleks from the time-line, which is why The Doctor can't simply travel back/forward in time and pick up any other Time Lords. He, and The Dalek, are anomolies that haven't yet been explained (roll on eps 12 & 13).

Alan!

wrighty47

They haven't really humanised The Daleks at all. This is one Dalek who's genetic makeup was altered, and who took his racial cleansing ethics to the extreme and destroyed himself rather than be what he consideres impure. To me this shows just what a monster the Daleks actually are.

I'm also not convinced by the suggary elements. The Dalek wanted to destroy itself but this went against it's previous orders and it needed a new one take precedence. It wasn't going to take such an order from The Doctor (a sworn enemy of the Dalek race) but was prepared to do so from Rose (as this would also go along with the Daleks wishes) and I think, it simply told her what she wanted to hear in order to convince her to give that order. Not sugary watering down for me, but showing the deceit and deception the creature is prepared to go to to get it's own way (just like it lied to her to get itself released from the cell earlier on in the episode).

Alan!