Main Menu

....NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 30/4/05, EPISODE 6, DALEK...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 30 April, 2005, 12:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

:::: I'm not at all looking forward to a second "companion".
:: Yeah, I'd agree with that. Thankfully, he's only in next
:: week's episode, then it's back to the Doctor and Rose

Is that true, for certain? If so, I might just have to do a little happy dance!

House of Usher

I really enjoyed it. Some ambivalence about the Dalek's force field, its scan-tastic armoured exterior leaching samples from anything it touches, and its sudden imputed 'genius' mental capacity - something they never used to be known for.

And yes, I was underwhelmed by its self-destruct sequence. An exploding Dalek should leave bits of plywood everywhere, not vaporise itself.

Not too sure about the Timelords being wiped out, though. Bit of a rum do, that.

And as to the Daleks having been wiped out too - that's interesting. Presumably all the DAleks the Doctor ever encountered in the future were time-travelling Daleks from the past? Including the ones that invade Earth in 2150AD?

Anyway, I enjoyed the show.
STRIKE !!!

The Amstor Computer

AFAIK. He's listed as appearing in next week's episode, "The Long Game", but he's then missing from all subsequent cast lists.

It does look like there will be a slightly more regular second companion - John Barrowman will appear as "Captain Jack Harkness" in five episodes, from the "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" two-parter through to the first series conclusion.

The Amstor Computer

"its sudden imputed 'genius' mental capacity - something they never used to be known for."

I thought the "genius" was referring to a particular facility for breaking codes, rather than anything else. More Rainman than Einstein?

As for the destruction of the Daleks... well, I'm not going to try and make sense of the Dalek continuity, but it's been suggested by some fans that there are several Dalek timelines. The Doctor's intervention, or the Dalek's own experiments with time travel mean that in one timeline, the Daleks are perhaps wiped out before even leaving Skaro, while in another alternative timeline the Doctor goes back to a time before the events of "The Daleks", so they survive, and escape Skaro to rage across the galaxy.

It all gets a bit convoluted, and I'll be interested to see where the writers go with the Time War that led to the destruction of the Daleks...

pauljholden

It all gets a bit convoluted, and I'll be interested to see where the writers go with the Time War that led to the destruction of the Daleks...

If you watch the documentary (either on BBC3 just after the show or on t'internet - from the BBC website in yucky real player format) Russel Davies talks about the Doctors background detail and the time war - to paraphrase 'it's a nice iconic background that appears rich when we dip into it'. In other words - I don't think there is a well thought out background to the time war, rather - they're making it up as they go along (with probably a couple of bullet points to keep things fairly consistent).

I'm going for the Master as the Big Bad Wolf reference in the last episodes, simply because we're now so firmly entrenched in the idea that the Doctor is the *last* timelord it'll be fun to see that rug get pulled out from under us.

-pj

pauljholden

And because I forgot to say: yes, this episode was fantastic -- in turns surprising and cool and sad (and, in the explodo dalek a bit weak). But really good - and I'm a little amazed that each episode seems to get better and better ....

-pj

Bico

Is the Doctor supposed to be dragging Rose around because she's got some significant role to play in the end of the 'timewar' thingy?  Because it's time travel, presumeably the final battle not actually having happened yet, the Doctor's aware of events from gallivanting around time in that way he does, and now he's suffering pre-emptive survivor's guilt because he knows he can't interfere in events on that scale.  He's *going* to be the last Gallifreyan, maybe?

Sorry, I've been drinking.

paulvonscott

These references to Bad Wolf are time echoes, reverberations from the main event, they aren't directly connected.

paulvonscott

Anyone gets the ratimgs I'd be interested.

The Amstor Computer

Overnight ratings should be available sometime on Sunday evening. We'll have to wait a bit longer for the final figures.

SamuelAWilkinson

"I'm going for the Master as the Big Bad Wolf reference in the last episodes, simply because we're now so firmly entrenched in the idea that the Doctor is the *last* timelord it'll be fun to see that rug get pulled out from under us."

Master? Get ye away, with your lesser baddie Time Lords. I'm all for the Meddling Monk, or the Rani. Or maybe not.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Adrian Bamforth

"Speaking as a Dalek, I cannot wait"

So that would be:

"I CAN-NOT WAAAIT...
I CAN-NOT WAAAIT...
I CAN-NOT WAAAIT..." etc etc

ADE

Bico

Or maybe 'Bad Wolf' is the Doctor?  He's seen as a bit of a rum sort because he wiped/wipes out the Daleks and Timelords in one sweep - hence his 'bad wolf' persona being a sort of boogieman down through time as a result?
The upshot of this could be that maybe he could have done this bad deed when he was Sylvester McCoy - meeting Rose for the first time - and then regenerated as Eccleston, popped off to meet Rose in episode one, then went about getting her ready for some showdown or other with the McCoy Doctor.  I only suggest this because it rather nicely wipes the whole American Doctor Who tv movie under the carpet like it never happened...

Capt.Zeep

Time travel.  It's just silly, isn't it?  

Great episode, though, "What're you going to do? Sucker me to death?"  Heh heh...and I for one actually liked the self destruct bit, it gave a novel purpose for the round metal studs on the dalek's body.

Kicking myself that I've missed a few episodes and waiting anxiously for the repeats.

MIKE COLLINS