Main Menu

Prog 2072 - Weaponmaster!

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 09 March, 2018, 07:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

For me,  the art (colour'n'all) on Bad Company has been the saving grace of an otherwise frustrating, repetitive story - lively,  expressive, owning every inch of the page. Rufus has more than done his duty by this strip.

broodblik

Bad Company has become one of those strips which I will not miss it if it never returns. I will read it but I am 50/50 on a return. The art for me was the saving grace.

ABC Warriors was a good read cool art but the story never felt original and was almost a rehash of previous stories. Maybe a longer brake might help here to freshen up the story-line.

I loved the Future Shock, more of this please

Brass Sun my favorite story of the current run and I will love to read it in one go from start to end when the series final rides of in the sunset
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: broodblik on 14 March, 2018, 06:49:44 PM
ABC Warriors was a good read cool art but the story never felt original...

There was a story?!?  :lol:

DrJomster

My recent faves of Dredd and Brass Sun are joined by the Future Shock! Blimey O'Reily that Future Shock ending!

A definite Prog of two halves for me of late, but hopefully something for everyone.

Roll on next week with a great looking line up!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Tiplodocus

Actually enjoyed all of that but won't mind if ABC Warriors and Bad Company didn't return despite the superb art on BCo. I'm just not grabbed by the stories. (Oo-er)

Dredd was great, Brass Sun's time skip a few progs back got me re-engaged with the strip and the Future Shock was great and very dark despite me having to parse the final panel several times ("Oh, it's someone stood in front of a mirror").
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Bad Company is a strange one. I think if it had been an original story about a bunch of old rogues busting out of an institution and getting into combat I may have quite enjoyed it - and it probably would have felt like it had somewhere to go.
As a Bad Company story it didn't work too well as I couldn't help thinking 'How come they're alive? What's going on? When's the twist coming?'

I really enjoyed ABCs though. I just love seeing Clint Langley drawing big robots fighting each other. Joe Pineapple's 'D-minus' was my favourite bit in the prog. I know it's all quite shallow but I really don't mind that - especially in an anthology.

Greg M.

Quote from: JamesC on 15 March, 2018, 12:40:30 PM
Bad Company is a strange one. I think if it had been an original story about a bunch of old rogues busting out of an institution and getting into combat I may have quite enjoyed it - and it probably would have felt like it had somewhere to go.

I largely agree with this - if it wasn't supposed to be Bad Company, I'd have no problem with it. Even as Bad Company, it feels so detached from the real thing that I can't get as annoyed as I ought to about events involving, say, Mac. To me, none of these characters are really the same ones from the original series (and besides, I have my own headcanon for Mac post-BCII.)

robert_ellis

...a head cannon would be quite appropriate in Bad Company. I really hope there's no more. I thought the last few issues improved. It seemed to become a Rogue Trooper parady - off to find a traitor with farty plant man. I'm sure someone will tell me it's a satire of war comics - but I'd rather 2 such great talents found a new strip.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 March, 2018, 06:02:05 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 March, 2018, 12:40:30 PM

I largely agree with this - if it wasn't supposed to be Bad Company, I'd have no problem with it. Even as Bad Company, it feels so detached from the real thing that I can't get as annoyed as I ought to about events involving, say, Mac. To me, none of these characters are really the same ones from the original series (and besides, I have my own headcanon for Mac post-BCII.)

Mmmm, lots to agree with there,  gents.  What bothers me here is that none of the unexplained (and inexplicable?) inconsistencies appeared necessary or helped the story in any way. At the very end we saw why Kano maybe seemed like a different characterless  character, and it immediately felt better,  but what about half his head being blown off at the start?  What about the dead characters that did basically nothing, or served as walking fart jokes?  What about Earth itself?  It's a shame,  there was a good story in there,  brought to life by great art,  but it was drowning in distracting  nonsense and padded irrelevance.

Fungus

Prog really helped by a great Future Shock (guessed a possible ending, equally pleased with the actual one :-) ) and Dave Taylor Dredd. Also went through the Thrill Mails to read the Exorcist Judge's original story [Praise Be To Tharg, etc.]. Taylor's cityscapes are fantastic.

Brass Sun is not aging so well, for me it probably needs to be read right through and I don't reread stuff. As a result these long-form stories don't appeal so much anyway plus I know the ending having read it... :-\

More than ready for 2073. Especially Jaegir, which hasn't put a foot wrong yet in my opinion.