Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I feel really downcast about things right now, after the shitshow of this evening's IVs. Some politicians are trying to find positives. It feels like there may be a consensus, or that one could be reached. But we're out of time. One more crack at this and then we're over the cliff edge.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 April, 2019, 10:26:00 PM
I don't frequent this thread, but I came here to see if there was any common sense on Brexit.

That right there is an oxymoron ....

Let's face it, Brexit crawled up its own anus two years back.  May's announcement tonight should have come with an advertisement for the Samaritans.  The only thing of note in the Palace this week was the climate protest.  Rather apposite as well.

I'm trying to decide whether the current impasse is intentional on the part of some.  Between the ERG and DUP, the fate of the nation is being held hostage by a bunch of delusional headbangers.  The only problem with that theory is that it implies some sort of cunning and competence.

Now the Political Thread is merging with the Black Dog Thread.  I'm off to watch Threads again to cheer myself up.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Theblazeuk

Quote"The question of paedophilia, as I recall, did not become acute until the second half of the 1980s," he said.

"Our efforts at covering this behaviour up were going well until about then, that's when it all started to go to hell. Still, got a good few more years in, eh?"

Professor Bear

I can't believe someone who used to be in the Hitler Youth has turned out to have bad opinions.  I hope this doesn't tarnish the reputation of other Nazis.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 April, 2019, 11:07:23 AM
I can't believe someone who used to be in the Hitler Youth has turned out to have bad opinions.  I hope this doesn't tarnish the reputation of other Nazis.
'Lots of fine people'

IndigoPrime

In happy political news, Mrs IP got ILR (settled status) yesterday. We shouldn't have had to go through this shit, and many others are still fighting this abhorrent system. If you have a mind to ever write to your MP, please do so and ask them to demand a declaratory system for people who moved here with every assumption they could just live their lives.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 April, 2019, 01:07:08 PM
In happy political news, Mrs IP got ILR (settled status) yesterday. We shouldn't have had to go through this shit, and many others are still fighting this abhorrent system. If you have a mind to ever write to your MP, please do so and ask them to demand a declaratory system for people who moved here with every assumption they could just live their lives.

Good to hear, it must be a huge weight off to have it sorted but as you say should never have been necessary in the first place. What a mess things are right now.

Jim_Campbell

If you have a mind to ever write to your MP, please do so and ask them to demand a declaratory system for people who moved here with every assumption they could just live their lives.

I would, except that my MP Is a prick who voted against everything in the indicative votes except no deal. I did write to him once, reminding him that the Tories (then only rumoured) arrangement with the DUP would come perilously close to breaching the Good Friday Agreement. When I tackled him on social media about the lack of reply, he claimed his staff at the constituency office couldn't find any correspondence from me.

It's particularly galling because when I moved here, we were in Ken Clarke's constituency but a chunk of Rushcliffe was carved out and added to Newark, flipping it from Labour to Conservative and landing us Patrick Mercer as an MP. He was forced to resign in disgrace after getting caught in a cash-for-questions scandal and I actually voted for his replacement because the most likely alternative to win was the UKIP candidate, Roger Helmer, who's a gammon-faced bigot and rampant homophobe.

I'm delighted to hear Mrs IP is going to be OK, though. I can only imagine how ever-present and stressful this must have been for both of you.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Congratulations, Mrs IP!

Theblazeuk

https://youtu.be/FjbBSLZlpsQ

Both funnier than anything we could possibly do and more relevant than anything we would do. Both parties would prefer MEPs were some dark secret so you can blame it on Brussels, even today.

The Legendary Shark

I'm happy for you both, IP. May you live long and prosper!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Fuck me, I never thought I'd support a priest, but the way he ripped the hole clean out of our so called politicians at Lyra McKee's funeral was feckin' spectacular
You may quote me on that.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

35,000 people sign petition to end all life on their planet.

Oh, wait: the button said "Insert Hyperlink", and I accidentally inserted hyperbole.  Oops.  Still: perhaps the 35,000 people who need to drink through a straw could just, y'know, become adults. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++