Previous topic - Next topic

hazy efc

Does anyone have any idea what year DREDD is set in  :D

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

CYCLOPZ

I saw 2129 mentioned in one of the write ups but I doubt if that's official. Maybe they left it unspecified to give themselves the option of going all futuristic if they get a higher budget for a sequel.

I would prefer it if they kept the date a mystery in the film(s).

CraveNoir

I've never come across a date for it, and also hope it's unspecified.

Michaelvk

The quickest way for a movie to feel dated is to put a date on it.. Invariably the movie will reach said date and the world still won't have flying cars. Bladerunner did that.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Michaelvk on 20 July, 2012, 02:43:06 AM
The quickest way for a movie to feel dated is to put a date on it.. Invariably the movie will reach said date and the world still won't have flying cars. Bladerunner did that.
I know I'm dissapointed I don't have a flying car so close to 2019. :'(
Best this film not have a date.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: hazy efc on 19 July, 2012, 10:49:35 PM
Does anyone have any idea what year DREDD is set in  :D

The future.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Colin YNWA

To be fair to Bladerunner sci-fi in general has done this. I've been expecting to zip through the skyways since the 90s but no NO Sci-so called-Fi has been lying to me all through my childhood. Its almost as if the 'Fi' bit stands for fiction. DAMN YOU FALSE PROPHETS OF THE FUTURE. I'm never going to read any sci-fi again...

hazy efc

well i was thinking with anderson beeing a rookie as a bit of clue some1 might come up with a rough year

Steve Green

Why?

The film and the comic are different things.

It doesn't really matter.

SmallBlueThing

Judging from the level of technology, 1981. :-x

SBT

Mark Taylor

If we wanted to build cars that fly with current technology, it wouldn't really be that difficult. The problem with flying cars is it just takes so much more energy to fly than to move on the ground. Until somebody comes up with that miracle fuel source that solves the energy crisis once and for all the chances of having flying cars are exceedingly slim.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 20 July, 2012, 10:37:16 AMUntil somebody comes up with that miracle fuel source that solves the energy crisis once and for all the chances of having flying cars are exceedingly slim.

We'd better start putting irreversible time locks on our Intrinsic Field Removal chambers.

Mudcrab

Yep, first 1990 went by and no floods (though there's been more and more since), then 1999 came and went and the moon's still here, though of course that's due to us sensibly not storing nuclear waste there. 2001, no obilisks near said moon, 2010, well, not been to Europa lately so I'm not sure about that.

Then of course there was some comic that predicted all kind of things for the year 2000  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

IndigoPrime

The main thing this shows to me is that predictions about future technology are insanely difficult. Look back at 1970s sci-fi and concepts: you had robots pottering about the place, flying cars, massive space stations, and so on. But you also had computers the size of entire rooms, whereas we now have powerful computing devices that fit in the palm of your hand. Frankly, I'm not terribly fussed about not having a flying car when I have a device I can carry with me that's far more powerful than the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.