Main Menu

Whats tha year

Started by hazy efc, 19 July, 2012, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 July, 2012, 12:57:03 PM
The main thing this shows to me is that predictions about future technology are insanely difficult. Look back at 1970s sci-fi and concepts: you had robots pottering about the place, flying cars, massive space stations, and so on. But you also had computers the size of entire rooms, whereas we now have powerful computing devices that fit in the palm of your hand. Frankly, I'm not terribly fussed about not having a flying car when I have a device I can carry with me that's far more powerful than the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

That is true. It's funny watching old Doctor Who/Blake's 7 with its Teleporters, spaceships, invisible ray guns and TAPE DRIVES.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 July, 2012, 12:57:03 PM
The main thing this shows to me is that predictions about future technology are insanely difficult. Look back at 1970s sci-fi and concepts: you had robots pottering about the place, flying cars, massive space stations, and so on. But you also had computers the size of entire rooms, whereas we now have powerful computing devices that fit in the palm of your hand. Frankly, I'm not terribly fussed about not having a flying car when I have a device I can carry with me that's far more powerful than the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The larger, more complex and more integrated our infrastructure becomes the harder it is to implement innovation and change throughout. It's also soaking up a lot more resources and time just to keep that structure ticking over with the various tech that exists all ready. So while new developments may come quicker, it can take longer for them to become commonplace or even to get the right funding for completion, which I suppose the fantasy of a more utilitarian fantasy is intended to address.

Frank

It obviously doesn't matter at all when the Dredd film is set; there's a non-canonical Chief Judge, Anderson's Dredd's rookie, none of the residents of Peach Trees appear to have robotic valets- DNA have clearly established a separate but related version of Dredd's world and history.

Around the time of the Stallone film, the Nerve Centre printed a letter from an earnest reader who'd fan-conned an explanation of the discrepencies between the comic and film versions of MC1 that involved a new city being built above the old one and a second version of Dredd being cloned to maintain the symbolic power of having a Dredd on the streets.

You could go mental trying to make all the individual pieces of every Dredd story, tossed off by dozens of writers, fit together; but if that's the kind of thing you enjoy, fair play tae ye.  If you need to introduce the concept of an Earth2 to make it all work, you've probably gone too far.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: bikini kill on 20 July, 2012, 07:26:46 PM...none of the residents of Peach Trees appear to have robotic valets...

To be fair Peach Trees is clearly a slum block. Ma-Ma herself is probably the only resident wealthy enough to have a robotic valet... and why would she bother when she has the entire clan at her beck and call?

Frank

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 20 July, 2012, 07:45:42 PM
Quote from: bikini kill on 20 July, 2012, 07:26:46 PM...none of the residents of Peach Trees appear to have robotic valets...

To be fair Peach Trees is clearly a slum block. Ma-Ma herself is probably the only resident wealthy enough to have a robotic valet... and why would she bother when she has the entire clan at her beck and call?

That was really just a throwaway line to round out my rhetorical rule-of-three and point out that DNA have essentially shorn the Dredd mythos of any conceptual baggage that would appear silly or anomalous to contemporary film audiences.

Now you raise the point though; America's robot butler figures Robert as a signifier of Bennet Beeny's wealth, but stories like Something Abnormal About Norman (437) demonstrate that- just like big screen telly's- there are different models of robots to suit different sized pockets. Walter's original function was no more exotic than a sodastream.

Straightened circumstances don't necessarily inhibit folk from becoming early adopters of technology anyway; Sky dishes peppered the rooftops of council schemes long before they started appearing in middle class areas, and the lowest paid kids at my work are the ones with the cutting edge phones on ruinously expensive contracts.

But all of the above relates to the reality established by the comics; which is different to that of the film.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote from: bikini kill on 20 July, 2012, 07:26:46 PM
Around the time of the Stallone film, the Nerve Centre printed a letter from an earnest reader who'd fan-conned an explanation of the discrepencies between the comic and film versions of MC1 that involved a new city being built above the old one and a second version of Dredd being cloned to maintain the symbolic power of having a Dredd on the streets.

I remember that, it was batshit insane

Mark Taylor

Quote from: bikini kill on 20 July, 2012, 08:35:55 PMBut all of the above relates to the reality established by the comics; which is different to that of the film.

I don't disagree with your point. Since robots were mentioned though I seem to remember reading somewhere among one of the numerous comments from Alex Garland, the producers etc. that not including any robots was a decision to do with budgetary constraints rather than to do with the aesthetic they wanted to create for their version of Dredd's world. In other words if higher budget sequels come about I wouldn't be surprised to see a robot or two in these.

I realise this has little or nothing to do with your overall point, which still stands entirely intact. I just don't think the producers have necessarily ruled out robots as being something that exists in their version of MC-1.

Mudcrab

Quote from: bikini kill on 20 July, 2012, 08:35:55 PM
Walter's original function was no more exotic than a sodastream.

:lol: Best analogy ever!

Ah, those were the days, lashings of cheap Irn Bru.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

radiator

I agree that the lack of robots, futuristic vehicles and other sci-fi trappings - no matter how cleverly you can rationailise it - is purely down to lack of budget. They could have done it on $40m, but it would have looked shit. IMO they made the right choice.

Of course, it doesn't strictly preclude them from going into heavier sci-fi territory in the sequel, if there is one.

As a rather broad comparison, look at the Nolan Bat-films - Gotham, though obviously a version of Chicago, looks quite strikingly different in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I'd say it looks a lot more stylised in BB, very subdued in TDK. Doesn't affect the respective film's quality one bit.

Ultimately, we may get a Walter cameo yet.

Richard

QuoteWe may get a Walter cameo yet.
Hope not.

M.I.K.

I'd like to see Walter pop-up as a background detail, like an advert on a wall or as a kid's toy or something.

Misanthrope

Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 July, 2012, 07:26:43 PM
I'd like to see Walter pop-up as a background detail, like an advert on a wall or as a kid's toy or something.

I did mention a Walter coffee maker.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Steve Green

Quote from: Richard on 21 July, 2012, 06:00:41 PM
QuoteWe may get a Walter cameo yet.
Hope not.

Not even destroyed in slow motion?

radiator

Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 July, 2012, 07:26:43 PM

That's the sort of thing mean when I say cameo.