Main Menu

Stories that should be collected

Started by broodblik, 10 August, 2018, 05:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

There's a good essay about Big Dave and poorly-satirised homophobia in Mark Millar's work at Sequart.org (this is actually the last of several chapters dealing with Big Dave; there's a link to the previous parts at the top of the article if you're interested in the rest):
http://sequart.org/magazine/30320/two-tickets-for-my-next-performance-mark-millar-shameless-part-32/

GrudgeJohnDeed

I must admit the humour in Big Dave landed as intended for me in the panels I've seen. In that article 'Parachutes are for poofs' made me chuckle :D. Is there a good place to get or read them?

Frank

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 27 August, 2018, 05:50:51 PM
Is there a good place to get or read them?

As far as I (and Barney) know, Big Dave has never been reprinted. Barney lists it as one of the few strips Tharg's published that's owned by its creators ...

... so presumably, it hasn't been reprinted because Mark Millar and/or Grant Morrison and/or Steve Parkhouse don't want it to be reprinted.

davidbishop

IIRC, all rights to Big Dave were returned to the original creators. There was some talk of it moving/being reprint/continued by Select music magazine in the late 90s, not sure if that ever happened.

Frank

Select editor Andrew Harrison has no recollection of any plans to publish Big Dave. Grant Morrison tells stories.

Comic fan Harrison did manage to sneak pretend interviews with both Big Dave and Zenith into the pages of everyone's favourite mixtape with a magazine attached:

https://sites.google.com/a/deepspacetransmissions.com/site/news-1/itwasthe90s-grantmorrisoninselectmagazine

Everyone should listen to Harrison's excellent pop culture podcast, Bigmouth.

broodblik

Big Dave reprint is something I hope never happens.

Zenith is owned by Rebellion not Morrison if I am correct ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 27 August, 2018, 06:11:21 PM
Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 27 August, 2018, 05:50:51 PM
Is there a good place to get or read them?

As far as I (and Barney) know, Big Dave has never been reprinted. Barney lists it as one of the few strips Tharg's published that's owned by its creators ...

... so presumably, it hasn't been reprinted because Mark Millar and/or Grant Morrison and/or Steve Parkhouse don't want it to be reprinted.

I think Barney is now out of date, because wasn't Scarlet Traces bought by Rebellion (though sequels are still done by the original creative team)?

TordelBack

Which reminds me,  any chance of more Demon Nic?  Really enjoyed that, a treat on every level.

And why do I have no memory of Apocalypse Soon?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 August, 2018, 08:42:58 PM
Which reminds me,  any chance of more Demon Nic?  Really enjoyed that, a treat on every level.

I'd go with that, or even more Mudman as Paul Grist has been promising for YEARS now!

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 August, 2018, 08:42:58 PM
And why do I have no memory of Apocalypse Soon?

One page out of 100, back in 2003.  I didn't have it in my memory banks either.  Unfunny four horsemen hanging around at a bar.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GrudgeJohnDeed

I guess it might be very 'of a time' to them. Like how some of the makers of Conker's Bad Fur Day (the puerile n64 romp) who were young at the time are pretty embarrassed by it now, and that game is actually still held in high regard unlike Big Dave. I'm making attempts at humour in a game I'm working on currently and I cringe at it as I write it  :D

rs_jr

whats the chances of getting a complete finn?

sheridan

Quote from: rs_jr on 30 October, 2018, 07:56:51 AM
whats the chances of getting a complete finn?

If Uncle Pat had his way then there'd be a new series of Finn (he's on record as saying that the management of the time didn't want further series despite it being popular - not sure why there isn't more under the current owners)

sheridan

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 28 August, 2018, 02:32:06 AM

I guess it might be very 'of a time' to them. Like how some of the makers of Conker's Bad Fur Day (the puerile n64 romp) who were young at the time are pretty embarrassed by it now, and that game is actually still held in high regard unlike Big Dave. I'm making attempts at humour in a game I'm working on currently and I cringe at it as I write it  :D

Never heard of Conker's Bad Fur Day before, but apparently it was included on a compilation three years ago.
"Conker's Bad Fur Day is also included as part of the Rare Replay compilation for Xbox One. The compilation was released on August 4, 2015."